DHW coil addition to Hitzer 82FA, summertime?

oeespo
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Hitzer 82FA
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite NUT

Post by oeespo » Sun. Nov. 19, 2017 7:58 pm

Finally got my house ductwork hooked up to my stove, but haven't had a fire yet. Can't wait though, last year basement was 85! Currently hooking up a Hilkoil DHW coil, via thermo-siphon. It was a pain to get in! Now to the plumbing questions.
1. What do you do, or what happens in the summertime
2. I was planning on no valves for safety, unless that circuit needs to be drained in the summer.
Coil to electric HW tank is 10'

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Sun. Nov. 19, 2017 8:08 pm

What you don't want is cold water circulating thru that coil while the stove isn't lit. It will develop condensation and if there is any fly ash on it at all, sulfuric acid will form and eat the coil up.

To prevent any flow in the warm months you could install one valve on one side of the coil, that would be the bare minimum. You could also install two valves, one on each side of the coil, as long as there is a pressure relief valve between them.

Whatever you do, make sure you coat that coil with oil or fluid film during the non heating months. I've taken good care of my coils and they are still in excellent condition, this will be the sixth year.

oeespo
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Hitzer 82FA
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite NUT

Post by oeespo » Sun. Nov. 19, 2017 9:08 pm

Great advice, I had no idea, I'm thinking SS coil will last a lifetime. It was very expensive, so I better take care of it. Really Leary of valves with kids in the house, I have at he TP valve and auto air vent

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Mon. Nov. 20, 2017 9:49 am

oeespo wrote:
Sun. Nov. 19, 2017 9:08 pm
Really Leary of valves with kids in the house, I have at he TP valve and auto air vent
You can take the handle off any valve and store it elsewhere.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”