King o heat 390

Memphisravensong
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: King of heat 390

Post by Memphisravensong » Sun. Nov. 19, 2017 9:21 am

I just purchased a home with a King O Heat 390 coal stove. We really don't see these in the south. I know nothing about these. I have a few questions.
1. How does it operate?
2. Where does one purchase coal?
3. If I can't find coal, can wood or something else be used?

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Sun. Nov. 19, 2017 9:55 am

Memphisravensong wrote:
Sun. Nov. 19, 2017 9:21 am
1. How does it operate?
Coal stoves operate simialr to a wood stove. More of a learning curve but far easier to operate once you get the hang of it. Biggest advantage over wood is long burn times.
2. Where does one purchase coal?
You might want to to try some of the places listed here:
Where to Buy Coal in Middle Tennessee? List Sources Please!!
3. If I can't find coal, can wood or something else be used?
Generally speaking you can burn wood in a coal stove but not the other way around. If you are going to burn wood you should look into a wood stove designed to burn wood.

Memphisravensong

Post by Memphisravensong » Sun. Nov. 19, 2017 11:03 am

Thanks for the reply!
I'll look at the links for coal. We have considered changing over to more readily avaliable wood bUT at $400 a cord I want to view all options. This stove will be used for supplimental heat or a 100% heat in case of power outage during ice storms or a winter tornado.

At the risk of sounding like a total dunce. I'm assuming you'd build a fire in the lower box and dump the coal into the top down onto the grate then close all the doors?

Memphisravensong

Post by Memphisravensong » Sun. Nov. 19, 2017 11:04 am

Is there a flue ? I didn't see one

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Sun. Nov. 19, 2017 11:18 am

Memphisravensong wrote:
Sun. Nov. 19, 2017 11:03 am
We have considered changing over to more readily avaliable wood bUT at $400 a cord
That's pretty expensive for wood, assuming seasoned hardwood the coal would need to be $500 per ton which would be an outrageous price. Local coal to you might be in the $60/ton range but soft coal is not ideal for home heating. You are looking for anthracite coal, rough guess on the cost is about $300/ton.
supplimental heat
That's what most people say when they start investigating coal for heating. :D
Is there a flue ? I didn't see one
There has to be a flue, the best thing to do is post some pictures. In particular the grates and how they operate, post all the photos you want. The more the better. You'll get some good advice on using it from there.

Memphisravensong

Post by Memphisravensong » Sun. Nov. 19, 2017 11:55 am

For some reason wood is outrageoys in this area. I have no idea why as most is sold by tree service companies who are paid to remove a downed tree which they haul off and cut into firewood. So they're basically paid twice for the same tree. Availability is the issue I guess.

I'll see about posting pictures.

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Sun. Nov. 19, 2017 4:08 pm

go to the front page of this " hand fired coal stoves" sub forum. at the top left next to the "post reply " icon put "king o heat" in the "search this forum" box and hit go.

nearly 300 matches will appear. the easy way to keep your reading in order is to go back in time to page 13 and start reading the threads in timed sequence up to the present.

there are presently king o heat users on the forum who will probably chime in. most users of more obscure stoves are very happy to get to share what they know.

steve

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”