New chubby!!

Wood slave
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby stove
Coal Size/Type: Nut coal

Post by Wood slave » Tue. Nov. 21, 2017 4:07 pm

Yea my recliner is about 3' away from the chubby! Well after the 15 hrs on the pot full, I come to find out it was on its way out. I could've prolly saved it but I let it burn out. Just fired it up for the evening again so we shall see what happens now lol.

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Tue. Nov. 21, 2017 4:53 pm

Wood slave wrote:
Tue. Nov. 21, 2017 11:18 am
it was warm in the house when everyone woke up
Wood slave
Something we all aspire to. Congrats! :)

captcaper

Post by captcaper » Tue. Nov. 21, 2017 5:04 pm

keegs wrote:
Tue. Nov. 21, 2017 8:46 am
FWIW W s... I replaced the gaskets on my used '70's model chubby using the Chubby replacement gasket kit and it took a fire or two to flatten out the new gaskets around the doors.

At this point in your journey I was having trouble keeping the coal fire going through the morning shake and floss. I think it was due to me not having enough unburned coal left in the fire pot by morning. I started filling the fire pot to the top before turning in for bed and that problem was solved.

One more tidbit... Larry sells the pokers but they're about 10" long... not long enough to get all the way to the back of the grate . If you have one of these shorties, Lowes and/or HD have 3/8" diameter steel rod stock that goes for around $5. for a 3' section. It's pretty easy to fashion a poker out of this.
I burnt with a Chubby for 20 yrs. I made a poker like you said. Got 3/8 in steel rod and put a deep hook on the end to reach up thru the grate and agitate the ash. And mine had a handle attached onto the shaker bar.. I don't see them now on them. But I used to pile it up so high like an Ice Cream cone..then during the night it would drop. Using the poker with the ash pan door open makes such a mess with dust flying out. But it gets up and knocks down the ash for a re load.

Wood slave
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby stove
Coal Size/Type: Nut coal

Post by Wood slave » Tue. Nov. 21, 2017 5:34 pm

I've been filling it up to just the top of the pot, but I just mounded it up about 2" above the pot this time due to starting the chubby up at a different time of the day. I won't be back to reload until about 7 tomorrow morning, so it will be about 14 hrs till reload. The poker that comes with the chubby seems long enough to me, but I can't believe how short the shaker rod is!! Only pulls out about 4" or so. Thought it would be about double that.

WS

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Tue. Nov. 21, 2017 6:28 pm

just to touch on something Captcaper talked of, and to help WS, if you do need to run a rod thru from the bottom, leave the ash door closed and open the bottom vents instead. Push your rod thru the vent openings and up thru the grate slots. little to no ash will come out that way. I use a thin flat piece of metal like a hacksaw frame when I do that, but the rod that came with it might work too.

keegs
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby (main floor)
Coal Size/Type: nut

Post by keegs » Tue. Nov. 21, 2017 7:16 pm

captcaper wrote:
Tue. Nov. 21, 2017 5:04 pm
I burnt with a Chubby for 20 yrs. I made a poker like you said. Got 3/8 in steel rod and put a deep hook on the end to reach up thru the grate and agitate the ash. And mine had a handle attached onto the shaker bar.. I don't see them now on them. But I used to pile it up so high like an Ice Cream cone..then during the night it would drop. Using the poker with the ash pan door open makes such a mess with dust flying out. But it gets up and knocks down the ash for a re load.
My shaker has the big spring handle. It's a late '70s model Chubby. The grate doesn't pivot ...it just sorta slides around in the fire pot when you push and pull the shaker handle. You have to have something to hold on to to make that happen. The newer model Larry shows in the video has a different fire pot and grate set up. Looks like the grate shaking is a lot smoother. Still getting my legs with burning coal but I'm liking the long burns.

captcaper

Post by captcaper » Wed. Nov. 22, 2017 4:36 am

keegs wrote:
Tue. Nov. 21, 2017 7:16 pm
My shaker has the big spring handle. It's a late '70s model Chubby. The grate doesn't pivot ...it just sorta slides around in the fire pot when you push and pull the shaker handle. You have to have something to hold on to to make that happen. The newer model Larry shows in the video has a different fire pot and grate set up. Looks like the grate shaking is a lot smoother. Still getting my legs with burning coal but I'm liking the long burns.
I don't know about the video but they had an improved grate back when I bought mine but it still just slides back forth a little. Doesn't do a lot. Not like a rocker type grate system like a Legacy MK III II or I

ASea
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Kast Console II
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Coal Chubby
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114, Glenwood 30 "Estate" Warm Morning 120
Coal Size/Type: Sherman Anthracite Nut/Stove from C&T Coal
Other Heating: Peerless Boiler with Cast Iron Baseboards

Post by ASea » Wed. Dec. 06, 2017 11:27 pm

I believe ours is a 1979 I reconditioned. It has been a godsend in the real cold days. You can see my install in my profile pic. Couldn't ask for a nicer guy than Larry Trainer.

keegs

Post by keegs » Thu. Dec. 07, 2017 5:13 am

Looks nice. Did you polish or paint? I used a cup brush on my castings and I polished the body. Got the two toned look but the castings are starting to rust some again. Not sure how the high temp paint would hold up over time.

keegs

Post by keegs » Thu. Dec. 07, 2017 5:21 am

captcaper wrote:
Wed. Nov. 22, 2017 4:36 am
I don't know about the video but they had an improved grate back when I bought mine but it still just slides back forth a little. Doesn't do a lot. Not like a rocker type grate system like a Legacy MK III II or I
Checked out the Legacy MK II ... Nice stove.

ASea
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Kast Console II
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Coal Chubby
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114, Glenwood 30 "Estate" Warm Morning 120
Coal Size/Type: Sherman Anthracite Nut/Stove from C&T Coal
Other Heating: Peerless Boiler with Cast Iron Baseboards

Post by ASea » Thu. Dec. 07, 2017 7:39 am

keegs wrote:
Thu. Dec. 07, 2017 5:13 am
Looks nice. Did you polish or paint? I used a cup brush on my castings and I polished the body. Got the two toned look but the castings are starting to rust some again. Not sure how the high temp paint would hold up over time.
I paint it once a year with the rust oleum gloss high temp pain. I use a paste stove polish during the year and hand buff the cast part.I find myself polishing every few months.

Vonda
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby born 1980
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: Gas

Post by Vonda » Sat. Dec. 23, 2017 3:31 pm

Logs wrote:
Fri. Nov. 17, 2017 7:53 am
I heated my house for over30 years with wood without any kind of damper. I switched to coal with a new Chubby about 3 years ago. I hooked it up the way Larry said to. With mpd and baro. I cover with foil if I’m burning wood which is rarely. Since using matchlite charcoal is the easiest and fastest way to fire it up. I would connect the stove the way it is recommended by Larry. It must do something cause I see it working on windy days. You can always take it off. Good luck with whatever you decide. The manual that comes with the stove says to use both.

Dave
Dave what is the process of lighting with coal? My stove is on for 3 days then off for three days. Kindling is expensive here or too big for stove. Thanks in advance.

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Sat. Dec. 23, 2017 10:38 pm

On for 3 days, and then off for 3? As much as I like coal, seems like wood would be better for you. I couldn't see having to restart my stove almost 10 times a month. Guess it's all in how much time you've got/ or want to spend.

Logs
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby
Coal Size/Type: Nut anthracite
Other Heating: Fireplace and wood burner

Post by Logs » Sat. Dec. 23, 2017 10:53 pm

I use the match lite charcoal, cover the bottom and fire it up.when it starts burning good start adding coal. It is much easier and faster than waiting for wood to coal up. I recently bought small bags of matchlite , where you just set the small bag on the grate and light the bag. It really works well.and the coal catches faster. Charcoal burns much hotter than wood. Good luck, I found the small bags at the dollar store. They were about 3 bucks a bag.

Dave

Vonda
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby born 1980
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: Gas

Post by Vonda » Sat. Dec. 23, 2017 11:00 pm

joeq wrote:
Sat. Dec. 23, 2017 10:38 pm
On for 3 days, and then off for 3? As much as I like coal, seems like wood would be better for you. I couldn't see having to restart my stove almost 10 times a month. Guess it's all in how much time you've got/ or want to spend.
I like my house hot and scared of creosote so wood is not an option for me. 20 mins is not much time. I light it about 3 times a month max 5.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”