Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Thu. Dec. 14, 2017 5:30 pm

warminmn wrote:
Mon. Nov. 13, 2017 9:02 pm
Besides what has been mentioned I'd find some 3/8" or thicker steel, or something similar, and put it in front by the door so you can pile coal higher in the front. I cant tell how deep it is to the grates by the door but a 4" wide bar would help a lot. I did something similar once in a shallow bed stove and it helped a lot.

Those front doors likely leak so be sure to check them as has been mentioned.
rsballer10 wrote:
Thu. Dec. 14, 2017 12:40 pm
Update.

I have gotten it to burn better, I have moved towards loading the coal peaked more in the middle, instead of banked towards the back. Banking the coal meant that the front of the stove would not maintain, in the middle it's more even.

I'm considering adding an ash pan spinner knob, and a plate at the front of the fire box so I can load the front deeper. I think I am much closer than I used to be, thank you guys for your help.
Without adding that heavy plate up front as *warminmn* suggested, piling coal up front fire wouldn't do what is expected. ;)

rsballer10
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Brunco Hearthglow

Post by rsballer10 » Wed. Dec. 27, 2017 10:04 am

Update: having someone make me a plate to go in the front of the stove. I went to my girlfriends house on Xmas, around 7pm. Came back the next day after work, 5pm, fire still going, stove at 425F.

The grates are a pain to clear ash from, involves driving a bent bar through the fire to loosen the ash, then shaking. I know poking the fire is bad, but letting it get ash bound was worse.

The previous owner had the bimetal damper set wrong, the handle was on the wrong side and the damper would open more when the stove got hot.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Wed. Dec. 27, 2017 10:54 am

rsballer10 wrote:
Wed. Dec. 27, 2017 10:04 am
The grates are a pain to clear ash from, involves driving a bent bar through the fire to loosen the ash, then shaking. I know poking the fire is bad, but letting it get ash bound was worse.
Poking the fire is a good for aiding ash clearing as long as it's done properly. Many hand fed burners regularly poke, heave, or agitate the coal to help get ash to fall towards the grates. The trick is to be careful not to "mix" ash with healthy burning coal while poking. Also, rev the fire up before engaging in any poking/grate shaking so that it will recover easier after loading. ;)

Jgib4
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Fire chief 450

Post by Jgib4 » Wed. Dec. 27, 2017 11:29 am

rsballer10 wrote:
Wed. Dec. 27, 2017 10:04 am
Update: having someone make me a plate to go in the front of the stove. I went to my girlfriends house on Xmas, around 7pm. Came back the next day after work, 5pm, fire still going, stove at 425F.

The previous owner had the bimetal damper set wrong, the handle was on the wrong side and the damper would open more when the stove got hot.
Have you tried the bit yet?

rsballer10

Post by rsballer10 » Wed. Dec. 27, 2017 12:22 pm

No, not yet. To make it truly "scientific" I'm gonna wait till I can clear out the whole stove, and burn only bit.

rsballer10

Post by rsballer10 » Wed. Dec. 27, 2017 12:23 pm

Lightning wrote:
Wed. Dec. 27, 2017 10:54 am
Poking the fire is a good for aiding ash clearing as long as it's done properly. Many hand fed burners regularly poke, heave, or agitate the coal to help get ash to fall towards the grates. The trick is to be careful not to "mix" ash with healthy burning coal while poking. Also, rev the fire up before engaging in any poking/grate shaking so that it will recover easier after loading. ;)
That's why I was using just a metal rod I bent, trying to drive it straight down and not stir if that makes sense. Like poke holes.

Jgib4
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Fire chief 450

Post by Jgib4 » Wed. Dec. 27, 2017 12:30 pm

rsballer10 wrote:
Wed. Dec. 27, 2017 12:23 pm
That's why I was using just a metal rod I bent, trying to drive it straight down and not stir if that makes sense. Like poke holes.
I hook under and lift towards me. The ash falls down the the coals come up.

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Wed. Dec. 27, 2017 12:33 pm

As long as it is a good lively fire, you can stir, poke , or whatever without much damage. Its the weak or dying fire that you have to be careful with.

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Wed. Dec. 27, 2017 12:51 pm

Jgib4 wrote:
Wed. Dec. 27, 2017 12:30 pm
I hook under and lift towards me. The ash falls down the the coals come up.
I like doing this too, when adding a bit of fresh coal, to an already burning hot fire. If I don't, then the fresh coals take time to ignite, and because it covers the healthy coal bed, it cools the barrel down. If I gently mix the hot coals with the new stuff, it doesn't seem to be as traumatic.

bambooboy
Baseburners & Antiques: imperial ringgold
Other Heating: woodstock soapstone,comfort,fisher,federal,fairy oak

Post by bambooboy » Wed. Dec. 27, 2017 2:20 pm

seem like i poke with straight rod every 4or5 days when not seeing fire through 3 lower doors on baseburner.rotating grates&shaker do a good job in the center not so much on the edges.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”