1st time with coal runaway stack temp

Zapirk
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354 with blower.
Coal Size/Type: Nut from tractor supply
Other Heating: Forced Air natural gas.

Post by Zapirk » Fri. Nov. 10, 2017 8:16 pm

tonight was my first night kighting the new hitzer 354 with coal. got a good base of coak going an just added good layer down and once it cought the stack temp climbed to above 600, i closed the MPD on the stove and shut the air. it is now slowly falling. what did i do wrong and how do i set it so i dont get the high stack temps. black pipe started to smoke (could have been buring off since its new and only had a few wood fires with stack temp at 400 to 300. :oops:

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Fri. Nov. 10, 2017 8:27 pm

Once the fire is going well, close the air shutter in the ash door and let the bi-metal thermostat regulate the stove temperature. Once burning well observe the flap position and adjust up or down to maintain heat. Will take awhile to learn best position, and remember results take some time to be felt.

Zapirk
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354 with blower.
Coal Size/Type: Nut from tractor supply
Other Heating: Forced Air natural gas.

Post by Zapirk » Fri. Nov. 10, 2017 10:23 pm

its been running good as far as i can tell, im going to top off the load before bed, do i just load it and leave everything set as is, or do i leave the air vents open untill it gets going good then choke it down?

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Fri. Nov. 10, 2017 11:19 pm

The general rule is to give lots of air to a new load until the blue flames appear then close down.

But a very nice thing about having the thermostat, is that it will have gradually opened up during the last burn as it gradually ashed up to maintain the heat. So when the new batch is loaded the thermostat will be open wider to supply the needed extra air. Your experience with the stove over time will let you judge how much extra air you need over what the thermostat supplies automatically.

With that big firebox a puffback of newly generated gas from a new load of coal is always possible. To avoid that I would recommend you leave some red coal showing after a new load, or by using a poker dig down to grate level at several spots which will also provide a path for very hot air along with hot coal to help ignite the new gasses.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”