chubby questions

mof1964
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Coal Chubby

Post by mof1964 » Wed. Nov. 08, 2017 6:22 am

so last night I fired up the chubby for the first time. It was windy and raining and just nasty out.
I woke up this morning to the chubby being close to 500 degrees.

I would like to be able to keep it holding around 300 or 350 or even less at time but I can't get it that low unless I almost let it go out. I tried the match/lighter test around the stove for leaks. The gaskets look to be in very good shape and not deteriorated. This stove was a rebuild straight from Larry Trainer.

I have the MPD and baro installed per the directions. Could it be that my draft is just that that strong? I have the air intake closed and the mpd closed. Maybe I need to let the ash build up more? top of the nut coal with some buck from the stoker?

Please chime in.

Mitch

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Wed. Nov. 08, 2017 6:44 am

Just curious--who's directions said to add a MPD & Baro?????????????????? AS for the problem--the CHUBBY guys will chime in I'm sure. My thoughts are ya got under air comin in somewhere.

Candyman
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby stove

Post by Candyman » Wed. Nov. 08, 2017 7:48 am

Sounds like my setup, I keep the bottom vents open just a crack,sometimes they look almost closed and the stove sits at 300. If I try to run it lower it tends to go out, I also have a strong draft. Hope this helps.

D-frost
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman MK ll
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Yukon Eagle I (multi-fuel oil, wood/coal)
Baseburners & Antiques: Herald 'fireside oak'
Coal Size/Type: nut/stove-Blaschak/Lehigh

Post by D-frost » Wed. Nov. 08, 2017 7:53 am

Mitch,
On the upper barrel(both sides) are vents for allowing over the fire air(doggy ears). Try opening those to slow the burn. My Chubby is in the basement on a 24 ft. strong drawing chimney without a baro, and runs at 300* all day. Every set up is different. Once you get it 'tweaked in', you will enjoy Chubby. If you can, post some pics of your set up. The forum loves pics!!!
Cheers

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Wed. Nov. 08, 2017 8:13 am

Are you filling the firepot with coal ?
FULL ? To the top of the firepot ?

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Wed. Nov. 08, 2017 8:14 am

mof1964 wrote:
Wed. Nov. 08, 2017 6:22 am
I would like to be able to keep it holding around 300 or 350 or even less at time but I can't get it that low unless I almost let it go out.
I don't quite understand this part, "almost go out". What does that mean exactly?

During a low slow burn with any hand fed stove, it will appear that it's going out. For example, when I idle my furnace down, there is no visible fire activity at all. No flames, the top of the fuel bed is black and peeking under the grates reveals no red or orange glow, just darkness. But it's far from going out. The glowing coals retreat to just inside the edges of the fuel bed. At this point the furnace has very little heat output going down to 170 over the load door, which would be somewhat comparable to a measurement taking up high on the barrel of a chubby.

Although, be advised that in this state of idling, the fire has to be revved up before the tending routine or you will kill it.

Lightning
Site Moderator

Post by Lightning » Wed. Nov. 08, 2017 8:21 am

How did you set the baro? Is it above or below the MPD? Is there a manometer hooked up? You won't really know what the draft strength is without one.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Wed. Nov. 08, 2017 8:40 am

Just something else to try along with what D-frost said---cover the baro with tin foil--still waiting on who gave those directions of using MPD AND Baro. I know one member doing that but he has a draft that could suck the warts off a hog!!!

windyhill4.2

Post by windyhill4.2 » Wed. Nov. 08, 2017 8:51 am

Larry Trainer made a video of a chubby stove in his house in which he explains the use of both the mpd & BARO. The chubby is not equipped with a bi-metal draft controller so the baro does the job.

Logs
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby
Coal Size/Type: Nut anthracite
Other Heating: Fireplace and wood burner

Post by Logs » Wed. Nov. 08, 2017 8:59 am

The Chubby manual recommends using an MPD and a baro . That is how I have mine set up. I’ve been burning Lehigh and I love the control. The past few days I’ve been using some leftover kimmels I had , and that *censored* burns hot. I can’t get the stove lower than 450.may the wind increased your draft. I’ve waked up to a dead pot before when it had been windy all nite. Fill the pot to the top.

Lightning
Site Moderator

Post by Lightning » Wed. Nov. 08, 2017 9:04 am

Foiling the baro so that it can't perform it's job will only make the draft stronger. If the stove is unstable due to windy conditions the baro needs to be set to be more sensitive. Mine is set at -.03. In breezy conditions it holds there. In gusty conditions it might only spike up to -.04 but that is only momentary. The baro is very good at doing it's job which is to hold a steady draft pressure. In my opinion much better than an MPD. When I used an MPD any wind conditions at all had the mano all over the place.

mof1964
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Coal Chubby

Post by mof1964 » Wed. Nov. 08, 2017 9:22 am

I set my stove up maybe 5 years ago according to the video and I talked with Larry on the phone.
I do not have a manometer on this stove but I have one on my stoker in the basement and I know with that manometer that I have a very strong draft going. The wind seems to come right down the hill, so strong that if I have family room door open to the garage and open the overhead garage door, it will pull the family room door shut. I am burning kimmels nut coal and that's all I have burned since getting the stove. I have not tried other brands. Kimmels is available to me in bags locally.

by saying the fire almost goes out, I mean letting it burn long and build lots of ash and not shaking much, the thermometer on the stove would say 100 or 125ish if I poke it just a bit and add coal then fill to top of pot -- which I always do, I have a heaping mound, only then can I get it at 300 to 350ish.

Mitch

D-frost

Post by D-frost » Wed. Nov. 08, 2017 9:25 am

Mitch,
This is what I would do: Dis able the baro, figure out what's happening(why the Chubby will not hold at 300*) If you have a manometer, great. If you don't, oh well. Just remove the automatic thinghys to dial it in. Add the baro, after, if needed.

P.S. If we guys try real hard, we can turn this thread into a "baro/NO baro", before page #2!!! That is not my intent.

Cheers

windyhill4.2

Post by windyhill4.2 » Wed. Nov. 08, 2017 9:36 am

mof1964 wrote:
Wed. Nov. 08, 2017 9:22 am

I do not have a manometer on this stove but I have one on my stoker in the basement and I know with that manometer that I have a very strong draft going.

by saying the fire almost goes out, I mean letting it burn long and build lots of ash and not shaking much, the thermometer on the stove would say 100 or 125ish if I poke it just a bit and add coal then fill to top of pot -- which I always do, I have a heaping mound, only then can I get it at 300 to 350ish.

Mitch
Are you saying in that 1st line that you have 2 units on the same chimney ???

2nd statement...... Are you expecting the stove to put out the same amount of heat no matter how long since you cleared the ashes ????

D-frost

Post by D-frost » Wed. Nov. 08, 2017 9:40 am

Mitch,
Are you in the same chimney, different flue?
Try leaving more ash on the grate when tending. Do more flossing from below, and less shake.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”