chubby questions

keegs
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby (main floor)
Coal Size/Type: nut

Post by keegs » Sun. Dec. 03, 2017 7:38 am

I loaded up in the morning yesterday and spent a good part of yesterday playing with air port adjustment on the ash pan door. The Chubby performed nicely cranking out temps between 300 - 400 degrees. Overnight it was running around 300. This morning I opened her up just a smidgen and she's up to 400 now warming up the downstairs nicely. I think its time to plan a coal bunker.

Thanks for the pointers and your patience gents. It's much appreciated.

Ck

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Sun. Dec. 03, 2017 12:16 pm

Great! Sounds like you are gaining confidence with controlling the burn rate. The bottom line is, perfect case scenario is that you would be able to control your heat output with the primary air control all the way down to starving the fire out.. If you can close the primary air control completely and the stove is still running too hot, (given time to respond, coal is slow to react) it's time to look for combustion air leaking into the stove somewhere else. Which is why I was curious about the ash door being tight.

Keep at it
Yer making progress ;)

keegs
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby (main floor)
Coal Size/Type: nut

Post by keegs » Tue. Dec. 05, 2017 6:12 am

Yeah ...I figured.

After having the fire go out a number of times for various reasons my response was to lean too much on combustion air. Spending time observing how the stove responded to very small adjustments to input air made all the difference. Closing down the air puts the fire out. Keeping the air ports open 1/8 - 1/4 inch seems to be the sweet spot most of the time. Larry mentions this in his tutorial video a number of times as well.

coalfan
Hand Fed Coal Stove: ds circultor1500 \chubby coal stove
Coal Size/Type: nut/ pea ant.some bit.
Other Heating: kerosene\cold nat. gas

Post by coalfan » Tue. Dec. 05, 2017 7:53 am

bingo your getting it now , learn your stove and take the time to see how it reacts to subbltle changes , weather air adjustments the size of and the brand of coal , it will all fall into place for you good job !!

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”