New Coal 2017/2018

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Sat. Nov. 04, 2017 3:19 pm

My G111 is waiting impatiently to spread it's wings this season. Today I picked up some "newly manufactured", never been burned, or even seen by anyone but me, (and maybe the manufacturer, the miners, the truckers, the baggers, and handlers. Sorry for some I may have overlooked.) anthracite.
Anyway, I was able to purchase the Cadillac of coal, LeHigh stove and nut, (1 ton each), that will get me through most of the winter, depending on mother natures ability to make us uncomfortable. The price was reasonable, (considering our area), and came wrapped in 40lb nicely labeled, easy to handle, long lasting and durable plastic bags. And not the crappo weaved ones from brand X a few years back, that would deteriorate, and bust out all over, when trying to lift. I put ole Bula to work hauling this stuff home, and she did an admiral job. Now, if we can get our daytime highs in the 40s, and lows in the 30s or less, we'll be ready for "light-off".
Lehigh Coal 001.JPG
.JPG | 660KB | Lehigh Coal 001.JPG
Lehigh Coal 002.JPG
.JPG | 488.8KB | Lehigh Coal 002.JPG

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Sat. Nov. 04, 2017 3:29 pm

can we see a pile of the same weight of nut and stove side by side, or even as much as you can hold in 2 hands of each ?

thanks,
steve

joeq

Post by joeq » Sat. Nov. 04, 2017 4:21 pm

Sure Steve. I'll get back to ya. Hang tight.
OK. Here ya go Boss. (You "are" the inquisitive one, aren't cha?) :D
My best guess, which entailed me standing on a bathroom scale, weighing myself ( :o ), and then filling the pot with 10 (american) pounds of coal. I believe it to be accurate W/I a tenth or so. See if you can tell which is which.
LeHigh Comparison 001.JPG
.JPG | 533.8KB | LeHigh Comparison 001.JPG
LeHigh Comparison 002.JPG
.JPG | 506.6KB | LeHigh Comparison 002.JPG
To me, "physically" they look about the same dimension. But as you all know, (Y'all, for you deliverance folks), the stove has more space betwixed them. Hope this gives you some satisfaction. And please, don't tell the wife I used her most favorite "linguine" pot. ;)

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Sat. Nov. 04, 2017 6:20 pm

thanks,

yes, they seem to both be coal. the visible surfaces of some are about the size of the handles on the pot and the others are clearly quite a bit larger.

i may have to go over to LaGrange county and get a bag of stove for a real look see. though it will be strictly academic, i can barely keep the draft thru my stoves in check with nut in them. :baby:

SawDustJack
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Newcastle/Ironhouse;Warm Morning 617a
Coal Size/Type: Stove/Nut

Post by SawDustJack » Sat. Nov. 04, 2017 6:54 pm

Haha, I too got some "newly manufactured" Lehigh nut put up today for the winter. The past few years I have been "buying as I go"(Bulk Blaschak nut) so this year, we are all in! I am burning the left over from last year first, but I did open up a bag and think we will be very happy!

Attachments

IMG_2786.jpg
.JPG | 81.1KB | IMG_2786.jpg

joeq

Post by joeq » Sat. Nov. 04, 2017 7:00 pm

The Lehigh nut coal seems a bit more inconsistent in size, compared to other brands, but the stove really has some "mass" to them. If you've never seen stove, Steve, you'll be impressed. Like I've said in the past, it looks like "elephant dung" to me. Not sure what the next size up from stove is, but if there's bigger, it could only fit in an industrial size stove.
Hey Jack, looks like your ready for bear! If your snowblower is working, means no snow this season either. :lol:

SawDustJack
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Newcastle/Ironhouse;Warm Morning 617a
Coal Size/Type: Stove/Nut

Post by SawDustJack » Sat. Nov. 04, 2017 9:03 pm

joeq wrote:
Sat. Nov. 04, 2017 7:00 pm
The Lehigh nut coal seems a bit more inconsistent in size, compared to other brands, but the stove really has some "mass" to them. If you've never seen stove, Steve, you'll be impressed. Like I've said in the past, it looks like "elephant dung" to me. Not sure what the next size up from stove is, but if there's bigger, it could only fit in an industrial size stove.
Hey Jack, looks like your ready for bear! If your snowblower is working, means no snow this season either. :lol:
I tuned it up just to make sure the snow stays away!

scalabro
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40, PP Stewart No. 14, Abendroth Bros "Record 40"
Coal Size/Type: Stove / Anthracite.
Other Heating: Oil fired, forced hot air.

Post by scalabro » Sat. Nov. 04, 2017 10:43 pm

The 45000 lbs of LA stove size I bought seems to run a bit big but that’s ok by me! If your stove is tight it’s no biggie, plus it allows you (at least with my setup) to throw in all the small bits and fines....no waste it all gets burned.

Love the throttle response with stove, it’s like port fuel injection VS a carb :P

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Sat. Nov. 04, 2017 10:47 pm

joeq wrote:
Sat. Nov. 04, 2017 7:00 pm
Elephant dung, LOL I do get what you mean by the size as those look like large chunks! Watch where you step!

joeq

Post by joeq » Sat. Nov. 04, 2017 11:02 pm

scalabro wrote:
Sat. Nov. 04, 2017 10:43 pm
Love the throttle response with stove, it’s like port fuel injection VS a carb :P
You know me Scott. Give me a carb anyday. As a matter of fact, make them "multiples" :yes:
(I know I've shown this B4, but I just love it.) :D

michaelanthony
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Gold Marc Independence
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: 'nut
Other Heating: Fujitsu mini split, FHA oil furnace

Post by michaelanthony » Sun. Nov. 05, 2017 4:28 am

You got some nice lookin' chit there joe. I've been burnin' Coal Contractors stove coal for 2 yrs. and I love it, like Scott said the response is excellent and no burps either. Like they say, once you go stove...lol!

joeq

Post by joeq » Sun. Nov. 05, 2017 9:17 am

Hi Mike. I was fortunate enuff years ago, to get "Coal Contractors" pea coal, for the Surdiac. Really liked it. Only was available that 1 season. Never seen it again around here. How's your Sparkle coming?

Homesteader
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark II
Coal Size/Type: Nut, Stove
Other Heating: H.B. Smith oil fired boiler

Post by Homesteader » Mon. Nov. 06, 2017 8:35 am

Hi Joe,
Where did you get the Lehigh stove from. Did you have to special order it from the dealer? I'm looking to get something like just 10 bags to experiment with in my Harman to see how it works along with the Lehigh nut that I burn.
Thanx.

michaelanthony
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Gold Marc Independence
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: 'nut
Other Heating: Fujitsu mini split, FHA oil furnace

Post by michaelanthony » Mon. Nov. 06, 2017 11:25 am

joeq wrote:
Sun. Nov. 05, 2017 9:17 am
Hi Mike. I was fortunate enuff years ago, to get "Coal Contractors" pea coal, for the Surdiac. Really liked it. Only was available that 1 season. Never seen it again around here. How's your Sparkle coming?
I'm fortunate to have a contact at work that sells 2500lb skids of Coal Contractors and he drops it in my yard 8-)
Sparkle is coming along, just made a new check damper as the original was cracked along it's weakest point and snapped in 2. Grinding fitting grinding fitting new parts...should be soon.

Canaan coal man
Stoker Coal Boiler: Efm 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: A little cubby coal stove in the basement
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #6
Coal Size/Type: Stove And Nut

Post by Canaan coal man » Mon. Nov. 06, 2017 12:27 pm

Homesteader wrote:
Mon. Nov. 06, 2017 8:35 am
Hi Joe,
Where did you get the Lehigh stove from. Did you have to special order it from the dealer? I'm looking to get something like just 10 bags to experiment with in my Harman to see how it works along with the Lehigh nut that I burn.
Thanx.
https://nwct.craigslist.org/for/d/coal-for-sale-4 ... 67107.html

My buddy works with this guy he is selling bagged lehigh, Im not sure if he can get stove size? He lives in Bantam, CT so thats fairly close by for you.
I will be buying a skid from him in the near future. I like the idea of having bagged coal inside on those nasty days when i dont feel like going to my out door coal bull pile thats under a foot of snow. 8-)

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”