Any tips on wood burning during shoulder months

Zapirk
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354 with blower.
Coal Size/Type: Nut from tractor supply
Other Heating: Forced Air natural gas.

Post by Zapirk » Wed. Oct. 25, 2017 9:26 pm

I'm new to coal just got a hitzer 354 installed and plan on burning wood in the shoulder months, does anyone have experience with how I should be running the stove, Thr stove pipe damper open or closed? The metal door flap on back open or closed?

My only experience burning is 1 year with a Catalytic wood stove with a poor functioning catalytic.

Feel free to move this if posted in wrong spot

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Wed. Oct. 25, 2017 9:55 pm

Because the stove has a bi-metal thermostat to control air for combustion, the manual stove pipe damper, which is used to control excess draft, probably should be left open.

Set the thermostat half way and observe the flap that controls the air. It should be open and gradually close down as the stove heats.

The damper in the stove I believe bypasses the baffle to provide maximum draft when starting so open when starting or when feeding, and close when fire established. I am not certain on that function so check to see what it does.

The air adjustment on the ash door can remain closed, but some users like it cracked just a hair. When starting you can open it fully for maximum air when adding a new load, and then close down to let the thermostat govern stove temperature.

Burning wood give lots of air and feed often for cleanest burning and avoiding creosote buildup.

Read the manual, but it is only experience gained by running it that will make you expert, so start by having lots of free time to observe what is happening, and maybe take notes on any changes you make and the result.

Zapirk
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354 with blower.
Coal Size/Type: Nut from tractor supply
Other Heating: Forced Air natural gas.

Post by Zapirk » Wed. Oct. 25, 2017 10:37 pm

I mis spoke, I only have the damper in the stove and it slides out or in. Out is fully open to flue in cuts off about 75% of the flue, from what I saw. It doesn't by pass anything

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”