DS XV16 Anthramax or a Hitzer 50-93

lvblackdiamond

Post by lvblackdiamond » Sun. Oct. 22, 2017 8:31 pm

Hi im new here but not new to coal heating.I am just getting back into using coal but much has changed in the last 30 years.Can you guys give me your opinion on which stove is better (best heat output, most efficient) im looking at a ds xv16 anthramax or a hitzer 50-93

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Mon. Oct. 23, 2017 5:56 am

One would have had to had both to give a comparison. I doubt anyone here has had both.

Looks like the Hitzer can use a blower.

The Anthramax? They say more efficient .. is it? People with this stove may offer anecdotal info. I have doubts as to any claims made by any manufacturer on efficiency on coal stoves. Feel free to call up the manufacturers and ask what test methods they use to come up with their numbers.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Mon. Oct. 23, 2017 6:05 am

The Hitzer is a tried and true model...but I would be very curious about that DS xv16 anthramax. The use of heat exchange tubes in the firebox might allow for great efficiency without the use of a blower.

jedneck
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DSM Antramax
Baseburners & Antiques: Florin 20-12, red cross oak double heater, 3 columbians a epoch, emblem and palace
Coal Size/Type: nut or stove
Other Heating: Southbend Banner range

Post by jedneck » Mon. Oct. 23, 2017 9:38 pm

I have the anthramax xv14. Have yet to strech its legs in cold weather but dont see it being a problem heating my 1900sqft. 2 story. Only 2 gripes i got is firebox is small for wood burnin in shoulder months, so windowstats get used. And the wood handle on the 2ndary air lever got hot enuf to char.

Its idling along now at around 170*

oliver power
Stoker Coal Boiler: KEYSTOKER Kaa-2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-2310), D.S. 1600 Circulator, Hitzer 254

Post by oliver power » Mon. Oct. 23, 2017 10:35 pm

50-93 Hands Down.

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Tue. Oct. 24, 2017 2:51 am

jedneck wrote:
Mon. Oct. 23, 2017 9:38 pm
I have the anthramax xv14. Have yet to strech its legs in cold weather but dont see it being a problem heating my 1900sqft. 2 story. Only 2 gripes i got is firebox is small for wood burnin in shoulder months, so windowstats get used. And the wood handle on the 2ndary air lever got hot enuf to char.

Did you ever have a Hitzer similar to compare % efficiency?

coalfan
Hand Fed Coal Stove: ds circultor1500 \chubby coal stove
Coal Size/Type: nut/ pea ant.some bit.
Other Heating: kerosene\cold nat. gas

Post by coalfan » Tue. Oct. 24, 2017 9:41 am

get the 30 /95 , i like the DS circulator better myself , but that is not what you are looking for , i had the hitzer 354 / non hopper but it was a beast .i burnt bit a large amount of good hard wood and ant. thru her and never had a lick of trouble with anything on it , the anthramax is a good stove to but the wood handles yah they look good but life use of them ahhh not so much , the fire box is a lot more square intened to keep in a closer proximity to burn better ,but the hitzer does just as good PLUS you can get the fan opyion on hitzer , and a big NO on the DS but the DS has the tubes to move air in silence no noise of the fan etc and a lot of this also depends on you ,your lay out and preference of looks to .

coalfan
Hand Fed Coal Stove: ds circultor1500 \chubby coal stove
Coal Size/Type: nut/ pea ant.some bit.
Other Heating: kerosene\cold nat. gas

Post by coalfan » Tue. Oct. 24, 2017 9:57 am

op MY MISTAKE over look my screw up its the 50 /93 i said to look at i work graveyard shift and have a habbit of not looking or paying to much attention to some things it all lays in your hands and specs as to what you like and need !! good luck both good choices .

jedneck
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DSM Antramax
Baseburners & Antiques: Florin 20-12, red cross oak double heater, 3 columbians a epoch, emblem and palace
Coal Size/Type: nut or stove
Other Heating: Southbend Banner range

Post by jedneck » Wed. Oct. 25, 2017 8:24 pm

davidmcbeth3 wrote:
Tue. Oct. 24, 2017 2:51 am
jedneck wrote:
Mon. Oct. 23, 2017 9:38 pm

Did you ever have a Hitzer similar to compare % efficiency?
Never had a hitzer. So cant compare.

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Wed. Oct. 25, 2017 9:24 pm

oliver power wrote:
Mon. Oct. 23, 2017 10:35 pm
50-93 Hands Down.
Never had a Hitzer, but I have a DS, and have not been impressed. Never heard anything bad about Hitzer. Make sure to get the hopper version.

DS is well-meaning, perhaps, but they seem to hype glitzy new super-duper improved models :? every time you turn around. Hitzer has had the same proven models for years.

Post by rberq - DS Machine Quality Control

John27elec
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93, DS Anthramax Stove, Harman TLC2000
Coal Size/Type: Reading Pea Coal, Reading Nut
Other Heating: Electric Baseboard

Post by John27elec » Sat. Nov. 04, 2017 10:10 pm

I currently have a DS Anthramax in the house and a 50-93 in my shop. I used my 30-95 for 3 years first then moved to a 50-93 for 3 years in my house before i bought the DS. Overall I like the DS quite well it does burn wood better and is more appealing in living area than the Hitzer especially with the extra tin on it, but for strictly coal use i think the Hitzer is a better stove hands down. I guess my largest gripe with the DS is the bi-metallic thermostat, it seems to be a slow responding for some reason prob just me but just seemed like the Hitzer does better.

wilder11354
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF260 Boiler
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: nut or pea, anthracite
Other Heating: crown oil boiler, backup.if needed

Post by wilder11354 » Sun. Nov. 05, 2017 6:51 pm

bought a 15yr old hitzer 50-93 put cost back into it in parts to fix warped parts. To date... its an awesome hopper, hand fed stove. Fan works god, temp/draft controls are easy to adjust. This is a beast for all out heat, and simmers along well when heat loads are light. Yes i use window stats, bu always use them for fresh air no matter what heat demands be. Been using for a month now. Can't go wrong with hitzer.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”