Hitzer 503 Insert Installation

JafaDog
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 503 Insert

Post by JafaDog » Tue. Jul. 08, 2008 11:03 am

jcb wrote:it really came down to $1875 vs $2175.
Those are great prices. I know I got the shaft on mine as far as stove price goes, but I was kind of over a barrel. I'm taking consolation in the fact that I don't have to install the beast myself, but I am certainly paying dearly for that "convenience."

As for documenting the process, kudos! I also plan to take (and post) lots of photos. A picture says a thousand words...and people love 'em!

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Tue. Jul. 08, 2008 11:07 am

Sometimes it is worth the $$,, just write the check,, and sit back and smile... it's DONE... unlike my projects which seem to NEVER get done.. :D :lol:

Greg L

Yanche
Stoker Coal Boiler: Alternate Heating Systems S-130
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Pea

Post by Yanche » Tue. Jul. 08, 2008 1:25 pm

I've told my wife and daughter what I want on my tombstone is, "He designed it right, but never got it done". :-)

davemich

Post by davemich » Tue. Jul. 08, 2008 4:44 pm

Greg...almost better than a stoker?? Better than a stoker!! 503's rule!!

tfaath

Post by tfaath » Tue. Jul. 08, 2008 7:55 pm

Hi all,

I’m new to the forum and hope you don’t mind me jumping in. I just ordered my 503 about 2 weeks ago. I got my pre – buy information from the oil company and decided that it was time to do something about the high cost of heating the home. Besides, I froze to death last year and only save 60 gallons over the previous year…. Just not worth it.

I do have several questions regarding the 503. Will it burn pea size coal? I’m in the process of looking at bringing in my coal supply early and I’d like to make sure that I’m buying the right stuff.

Also, how noisy are the fans? I’m putting the 503 in a rather small family room .. too much noise could be a problem.

How is handling the coal in the house, any problems with coal dust?

I’m sure I’ll have a million other questions once I get started… thanks in advance for any help.

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Tue. Jul. 08, 2008 9:27 pm

I'd check with Hitzer on the coal size, I think most people burn nut size in the Hitzer hopper stoves..

The fans can be quieted by the use of a reostat, a speed controler that you can buy at Home depot.. I haven't heard any complaints on the hitzer fan noise.. even if you notice it at first,, it will fade into the warm background quickly.

Greg L

JafaDog

Post by JafaDog » Thu. Jul. 10, 2008 9:28 am

Since I have yet to actually have my 503 installed, I can't answer any of these questions from direct knowledge or experience. Having said that, here is what I have gleaned from information posted on these forums:
tfaath wrote:Will it burn pea size coal? I’m in the process of looking at bringing in my coal supply early and I’d like to make sure that I’m buying the right stuff.
The Hitzer manual recommends nut or pea, although they state that with pea you need to be careful since it has the potential to fall through the grates. From what I understand, pea is also harder to get started in a hand-fired stove (take that with a grain of salt--I have yet to try and start a fire with either size). I'm personally planning on buying nut size coal. Also (again from info posted on these forums), Blaschak and Superior seem have better consistency in the quality of their coal, while Reading and Kimmel's tend to be less consistent in their quality. Your mileage may vary. Blaschak is available where I live, so that's what I'm going to try first.
Also, how noisy are the fans? I’m putting the 503 in a rather small family room .. too much noise could be a problem.
I can't be of much help here. Sorry. As Lsfarm says, you probably won't notice the fan noise after a while. And since you've already ordered it and plan on installing it, you'll have to live with it regardless. The fan has three settings (off, manual and auto). While you can turn it off and leave it off, it would most likely severely decrease the overall heat output. At least on auto, it would only be potentially bothersome some of the time....
How is handling the coal in the house, any problems with coal dust?
From what I understand, the unburned coal itself is not very dusty/dirty. It's apparently bagged wet (?) and does not produce much (if any) dust. What can produce dust is the fly ash if you're not very slow and very careful when emptying the ash pan.

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Thu. Jul. 10, 2008 10:49 am

My parents have a 503 that will be installed in August. They are coal virgins that currently burn wood so I am sure they will have plenty of questions too. I will post the install pictures to help others out and any tricks to making that stove purr.
Coal dust has never been a problem for me just use a garden pump sprayer to dampen the coal a tad as I have a bulk bin. The plastic bagged coal can be very wet depending on how it was stored so be careful when you bring it in the house.
The fan noise will be music to you ears and you will hardly notice it after a while. My Harman fan sits on the back of the stove and is open to the room. The 503 is buried in the fireplace and should dampen the noise.
Start with the Nut if it is a problem you can mix in a bit of Pea to slow it down.

tfaath

Post by tfaath » Thu. Jul. 10, 2008 8:49 pm

Many thanks for all the info... I’m anxious to get my stove installed... if they are accurate with the delivery schedule, I should have it by the end of the month. Just getting it installed will be a relief.

I live in central Connecticut and this will be my first experience burning an alternate fuel for heat. Interestingly, I’ve tried to secure bagged coal from a supplier that is near by and I’m having difficulty making contact. They (Burn Time) haven’t returned my e-mail or my phone calls. Does anyone know of another supplier or someone that would deliver to the central CT area? I did a calculation and for me to 100% replace the oil I consumed last year, I’ll need 3 tons.

Also from what I can read on the forum, the 503 is a very good insert. I hope it lives up to its reputation.

Thanks again for all the info... Tom

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Thu. Jul. 10, 2008 9:26 pm

Use the search function to hunt through the forum for 'ct coal' and you will find a few folks in that area, they may have some source postings.

JafaDog

Post by JafaDog » Wed. Sep. 10, 2008 10:46 am

I just got a call from my dealer. My 503 is being delivered to him this Friday, and we scheduled the install for Tuesday 9/16. That'll mean taking a day off from work, but it's worth it. Otherwise I'd have to wait at least four weeks. Luckily he had a cancellation on the 16th and can do it then.

Looks like I will be one of the lucky ones this season. I'll try to post photos of the install.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”