Ready to strike a match.........

deepwoods
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & DS Machine Newstyle Champion
Coal Size/Type: nut (so far)
Other Heating: Ruud propane forced air system

Post by deepwoods » Sat. Sep. 09, 2017 11:45 pm

Hi all, the time grows near up in these north Pa hills. Been having low 40's overnight and low 60's daytime.
I completely re-piped the basement DS Newstyle Champion with joint screws and double tape on all joints. Gaskets on all doors look good for at least another season.
Did a chimney check, almost a useless activity with coal! Clean clear to the top but did remove a small pail of fallen fly ash from the clean out at the bottom :D I used 5 ton last year including the intermittent use of the 50-93 upstairs (way too much stove for that area) unless we get a -20 degree blizzard with big wind. Even then that stove wouldn't break a sweat.
8 tons in the basement bunker and good to go. My memories of 30+ years of woodburning are fading into the past!

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Sun. Sep. 10, 2017 12:53 pm

Nice, sounds like a successful coal burning season is gonna happen for you! I still gotta reinstall stove pipe before I'm ready to go. Gonna try to get as far into October as I can before firing up.

2001Sierra
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90 Chimney vent
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Buderus Oil Boiler 3115-34

Post by 2001Sierra » Sun. Sep. 10, 2017 4:22 pm

[quote="deepwoods"]
Did a chimney check, almost a useless activity with coal! Clean clear to the top but did remove a small pail of fallen fly ash from the clean out at the bottom :D

I too agree but till very important. Sometimes the fly ash accumulation can be surprising, so stay vigilant.

deepwoods

Post by deepwoods » Sat. Oct. 14, 2017 11:31 pm

Finally lit her up yesterday. Been watching that needle on the propane tank going down and not liking it one bit. 8 tons of coal in the basement bunker. This is going to be a warm weekend (60's for my area) then more cool will be setting in. This is the latest I have fired up the coal and that steady penetrating heat plus warm floors will be very welcome!

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Sun. Oct. 15, 2017 8:07 am

Lucky guy DW. Probably will be a roller coaster ride for the next few weeks, till the cold actually sets in. Have fun.:)

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Sun. Oct. 15, 2017 11:44 am

If the two week temperature forecast is somewhat accurate, I'm seeing a lite up date of Oct 25th.

deepwoods

Post by deepwoods » Sun. Oct. 15, 2017 6:07 pm

I know it's going to be "mild" but the temp ups & down can be variable to some extent around here, we've already had two frosts and the propane furnace was busy. That's what windowstats are made for. Coal is paid for.....Propane delivery will be coming @ $3+ a gallon cause I don't use "bulk- buy", Rip-off! Wish I could afford bulk buy + coal. Propane is my only option besides coal, aside from electric which is a no brainer. No Nat gas available.
DS Machine is running @ 275 deg. +/- and we're not having heat overload. It's in the basement and I can control how much heat it sends up via a damper tied into the forced air system plus I have a well water pre heat with a 30 gallon copper tank which with the stove burning is saving $ for the propane water tank.

memco man
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 KA-6 Keystoker
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Tarms 504
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska liberty
Hand Fed Coal Stove: jotul NR 507, crane coal cooker 44, crane 404, chubby w/blower, chubby w/out blower, franco blege 10-475 Montgomery ward laundry stove Moore's Brother seventeen circulator stove
Coal Size/Type: nut/anthracite/pea
Other Heating: harman p68, elmtree,harthstone,new mack

Post by memco man » Mon. Oct. 16, 2017 11:05 pm

I know that I am behind the times I stated my first fire of the 2017-18 fall winter if nothing else it made
IMG_0409.JPG
.JPG | 297.6KB | IMG_0409.JPG
IMG_0413.JPG
.JPG | 243KB | IMG_0413.JPG
the dogs and cats very happy as well as my wife

Logs
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby
Coal Size/Type: Nut anthracite
Other Heating: Fireplace and wood burner

Post by Logs » Tue. Oct. 17, 2017 12:31 am

I fired up the Chubby today. Temps are forecast to be 70 again by the weekend. But if that happens it won't be all day . May have to open some windows for a few days. 3rd time fired up this year and hoping it's the last. I'm ready for some cooler temps. We shall see

joeq

Post by joeq » Tue. Oct. 17, 2017 6:21 am

"And the fun begins!"

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Tue. Oct. 17, 2017 9:16 am

30F here this morning.

Started up the range a few days ago. Glad I did.

After eating her breakfast, the cat went out to do her morning patrol. But, she stayed right by the back door. A couple of minutes later I let her back in and she went right under the range to warm up. For a stray she sure got spoiled by a coal stove. But then aren't we all ? :lol:

Paul

scalabro
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40, PP Stewart No. 14, Abendroth Bros "Record 40"
Coal Size/Type: Stove / Anthracite.
Other Heating: Oil fired, forced hot air.

Post by scalabro » Tue. Oct. 17, 2017 9:32 am

Hahahahaha it's warm in Hamden Cty Ma ... I'm not gonna fire up till after October.

joeq

Post by joeq » Tue. Oct. 17, 2017 4:41 pm

Sunny Boy wrote:
Tue. Oct. 17, 2017 9:16 am
30F here this morning.

Started up the range a few days ago. Glad I did.

After eating her breakfast, the cat went out to do her morning patrol. But, she stayed right by the back door. A couple of minutes later I let her back in and she went right under the range to warm up. For a stray she sure got spoiled by a coal stove. But then aren't we all ? :lol:

Paul

Not sure what you'll be doing there this week Paul, but our Indian summer will still be with us for the forseeable future. Let us know how you're doin Thurs. afternoon. We might have to send you a case of Knickerbocker. :lol:
scalabro wrote:
Tue. Oct. 17, 2017 9:32 am
Hahahahaha it's warm in Hamden Cty Ma ... I'm not gonna fire up till after October.
With you on that one Scotty. (What's the up-date on stew?)

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Tue. Oct. 17, 2017 6:28 pm

Still too soon....it will roast you this weekend.

scalabro
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40, PP Stewart No. 14, Abendroth Bros "Record 40"
Coal Size/Type: Stove / Anthracite.
Other Heating: Oil fired, forced hot air.

Post by scalabro » Tue. Oct. 17, 2017 6:40 pm

Yo Joey! ...I need the plated parts back. Specifically the second MPD shaft and "coiled handle". It goes in the back pipe just above where the pipe attaches to the stove on the bottom. Confused? I don't blame ya! Check out the PP Stewart thread....anyway too much T drift :oops:

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”