Firebrick wisdom Harman CW30 and Russo CW1

oldmillburner
Hand Fed Coal Stove: harman mysterio model
Other Heating: Century 244 wood burner

Post by oldmillburner » Wed. Aug. 30, 2017 2:21 pm

I have 2 coal stoves I recently purchased that need work. A Harman CW30 coal/wood and a Russo CW1. The Harman is truly unique in that it is the only UL listed EPA approved stove for its time, as far as I can tell. Technological Information is lacking since Harman sold off its coal stove line some time ago. Manuals are just about unobtainable. I also just acquired a Russo CW1 with the blower and heat meter(?) intact. Both stoves need some bricks and require some custom cast bricks for the sides and front. At least Russo still has manuals available for their stove at $20 a pop. The CW 30 requires all stove specific bricks with custom measurements. Do coal stoves require a thicker firebrick than wood stoves? The few side bricks I have for the CW30 are about 2" at the base, taper to about 1-1/4" for most of the side then taper to about 1/4" at the top. This forms a funnel, of sorts, for the burnt coal ash to funnel onto the shaker grates. I don't believe the Russo has a secondary burn system, but the Harman just might, just not in the same manner as a modern wood burner. Again, information is sorely lacking. I can figure it out, just need some input on necessary brick thickness for burning coal so I don't have a burn through issue. Thanks, Joe

Attachments

cw30 firebrick 2.jpg

Harman cw30

.JPG | 137.2KB | cw30 firebrick 2.jpg
harmon stove inside.jpg

Harman cw30

.JPG | 85.4KB | harmon stove inside.jpg

oldmillburner
Hand Fed Coal Stove: harman mysterio model
Other Heating: Century 244 wood burner

Post by oldmillburner » Wed. Aug. 30, 2017 2:28 pm

My goal is to make the stove easier to maintain and more cost effective by using/modifying store bought bricks. The body is steel and the door is cast iron. I'm handy with a welder so welding in some thick angle to hold in more bricks isn't an issue.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”