Question about exhaust cover VC Vigilant

x0id

Post by x0id » Mon. Aug. 21, 2017 7:35 am

I'm new to this board and looking for information about an inherited Vermont Castings Vigilant mutli-fuel stove.

My in-laws have a cabin in the woods in Belgium. They inherited from a friend a VC Vigilant multi-fuel (or they've been told it's a MF) stove. They, and my wife and I, have been using the stove for a few years now without any problems, both burning wood and coal.

Since we're getting closer to September and a colder temperatures I decided last weekend to do a thorough cleaning of the stove. I noticed a piece of metal that was loose behind the ashtray and in front of a rectangular cut out in the back. I'm sorry I'm unable to provide photographs to clarify at this time but I'll do my best.

If you look underneath the split up grate (3 parts) and above the base where the ashtray is, the back looks like this: O O O O O [ ]
So there are holes visible (could be more or less holes) and a rectangular cut out. On a side note, since we inherited the stove we've never seen an official usage manual or guide. What we know about its operation (so far before my quest for answers) is what the previous owner told us.

If I take a look at a manual I found online, it looks or seems to be the intake for the secondary combustion chamber. Looking at another exploded diagram for this stove I found a part in the diagram that looks like the loose part I noticed which is listed as the exhaust cover.

Now I wonder if the cover should be placed in front of the rectangular cut out and if so, when to do so? Since you can use the damper, which is operated by a lever on the left side when looking at the front of the stove, to switch between updraft combustion (bypassing the secondary combustion chamber) or in the up position (closed) and letting exhaust gasses pass through the secondary combustion chamber. So it's unclear to me why a cover is provided since its operation is mainly dependent on the damper position.

I hope this makes sense to anyone. If not, after next weekend I'm able to provide photographic material.

blrman07

Post by blrman07 » Mon. Aug. 21, 2017 8:04 am

Gonna have to see some photo's or know the model number of this beast.

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Mon. Aug. 21, 2017 9:40 am

Go to http://www.woodmanspartsplus.com/catalog.aspx and by looking at the different model parts diagrams you can identify the model.

You state it has a three part grate. Are those three rotating grate pieces? If so it is not the multi-fuel. The multi-fuel has many grate pieces that slide front to back when activated.

sjm350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: vermont castings
Coal Size/Type: hard nut
Other Heating: natural gas

Post by sjm350 » Wed. Aug. 23, 2017 1:38 pm

HI xOID!
LOOKING AT YOUR STOVE FROM THE FRONT- THE PART YOU HAVE IN QUESTION IS CALLED (ON YOUR RIGHT SIDE) EXHAUST ARCH. IT MUST BE REMOVED TO OPERATE AS A WOOD STOVE.I HAVE THE VIGILANT MODEL OF THE VERMONT CASTING STOVE. PURCHASED USED IN 2009.

NOTE: EXHAUST COVER IS ON LEFT SIDE AND EXHAUST ARCH IS ON YOUR RIGHT SIDE.

THANKS.
SJM350

oliver power
Stoker Coal Boiler: KEYSTOKER Kaa-2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-2310), D.S. 1600 Circulator, Hitzer 254

Post by oliver power » Thu. Aug. 24, 2017 9:11 am

I once had a Vermont Castings Vigilant. The only covers I remember covering a rectangular openings, were in the ash pan area. They were made of tin. You'd remove them for cleaning fly ash build up between the inner, and outer castings. Maybe your are rusted, and have loosened.

x0id

Post by x0id » Mon. Aug. 28, 2017 2:26 am

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I managed to find somebody that went over there during the weekend. No "full stove" photographs but details of the "hole" and plate itself.

oliver power
Stoker Coal Boiler: KEYSTOKER Kaa-2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-2310), D.S. 1600 Circulator, Hitzer 254

Post by oliver power » Thu. Aug. 31, 2017 3:32 am

x0id wrote:I'm new to this board and looking for information about an inherited Vermont Castings Vigilant mutli-fuel stove.

My in-laws have a cabin in the woods in Belgium. They inherited from a friend a VC Vigilant multi-fuel (or they've been told it's a MF) stove. They, and my wife and I, have been using the stove for a few years now without any problems, both burning wood and coal.

Since we're getting closer to September and a colder temperatures I decided last weekend to do a thorough cleaning of the stove. I noticed a piece of metal that was loose behind the ashtray and in front of a rectangular cut out in the back. I'm sorry I'm unable to provide photographs to clarify at this time but I'll do my best.

If you look underneath the split up grate (3 parts) and above the base where the ashtray is, the back looks like this: O O O O O [ ]
So there are holes visible (could be more or less holes) and a rectangular cut out. On a side note, since we inherited the stove we've never seen an official usage manual or guide. What we know about its operation (so far before my quest for answers) is what the previous owner told us.

If I take a look at a manual I found online, it looks or seems to be the intake for the secondary combustion chamber. Looking at another exploded diagram for this stove I found a part in the diagram that looks like the loose part I noticed which is listed as the exhaust cover.

Now I wonder if the cover should be placed in front of the rectangular cut out and if so, when to do so? Since you can use the damper, which is operated by a lever on the left side when looking at the front of the stove, to switch between updraft combustion (bypassing the secondary combustion chamber) or in the up position (closed) and letting exhaust gasses pass through the secondary combustion chamber. So it's unclear to me why a cover is provided since its operation is mainly dependent on the damper position.

I hope this makes sense to anyone. If not, after next weekend I'm able to provide photographic material.
I don't remember any holes like that in my Vigilant.

VigIIPeaBurner
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker Koker(down)
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Casting Vigilant II 2310
Other Heating: #2 Oil Furnace

Post by VigIIPeaBurner » Sat. Sep. 02, 2017 5:31 pm

My late 70's Defiant wood burner had those same holes along the bottom. For the Defiant, they supplied primary combustion air to the burning wood as the exhaust traveled to a similar exhaust port shown in the pictures above. If I recall, the original Vigilant's primary combustion chamber had a very similar design.

Droup
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Castings Vigilant 1400
Coal Size/Type: Nut

Post by Droup » Wed. Nov. 01, 2017 6:33 pm

I'm new to this forum and it's been a while since this was posted so, you may have solved the issue... I'll give my two cents anyway. It looks like they added a 0054 coal kit to the wood version. The exploded diagram shows the plate in pic 1 going in the corner (pic 2) with the notches on the right on the inside with two bolts, one in each notch. Hope this helps.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”