Hitzer Model 82

lisl

Post by lisl » Thu. Jun. 08, 2017 4:14 pm

Hoping for some information. I happened on a 4 year old model 82 for $300- I think this is a steal! Had an old riteway years ago and loved it. We only burned wood with that, I now burn coal. Currently have a Harman II but want Hitzer in basement- more heat less work is the hope, also hope for no more water pipe worries. Drafty old 1850 farm house so warmer is better!
Any tips appreciated!

lisl

Post by lisl » Thu. Jun. 08, 2017 4:17 pm

IMG_0066.JPG
.JPG | 88.3KB | IMG_0066.JPG
This is the stove:

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Thu. Jun. 08, 2017 6:15 pm

Can't help with tips, but ya got one helluva good stove there!

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Thu. Jun. 08, 2017 7:43 pm

The stove is a heat monster, and for $300 it is a bargain. We have a few 82's in the family, and I ran one for a few years and posted quite a bit of information on it. I only got rid of mine because I switched to a boiler.

When you get the 82 home, let us know how we can help with any questions you have about the hookup, and how to operate the stove. It is prone to puff-backs if you don't treat it right.

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Thu. Jun. 08, 2017 8:03 pm

lisl wrote:I happened on a 4 year old model 82 for $300- I think this is a steal!
Welcome to the forum,

300 bucks for any good stove is a steal! Right now is the best time to buy one, Summer time, right after a mild Winter, with low oil and gas prices. It's the perfect storm for low prices on coal fired equipment.

-Don

lisl

Post by lisl » Fri. Jun. 09, 2017 3:45 pm

Took a better look at the chimney today. It was used to vent propane for a hot water heater for the past 20 years- that died this winter, replaced it with electric, then got the bright idea to put a stove in the basement so I don't have to run kerosene heaters on super cold days for pipes. The chimney is cinderblock, but looks like a clay lining- orange/ brown color can be seen coming out of the top. There is no clean out. Is it unsafe to just unhook the stove each year and clean ash from thimble? How much will build up in there??

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Fri. Jun. 09, 2017 5:36 pm

lisl wrote:Took a better look at the chimney today. It was used to vent propane for a hot water heater for the past 20 years- that died this winter, replaced it with electric, then got the bright idea to put a stove in the basement so I don't have to run kerosene heaters on super cold days for pipes. The chimney is cinderblock, but looks like a clay lining- orange/ brown color can be seen coming out of the top. There is no clean out. Is it unsafe to just unhook the stove each year and clean ash from thimble? How much will build up in there??
Does the lining go down below the thimble at all for ash to drop into? It wouldnt take much. Many here put a T pipe anywhere they need to get at any ash or inspect things. If you dont have any space for ash it would take an often inspection. C/O alarms are your friend too. A manometer, although not absolutely needed to run your stove may help show when your draft is low also, kind of a backup safety device. Im not sure exactly how well it would work if theres no space for ash as Ive never done it.

The real problem is forgetfullness and we all have that. Set a calendar day to expect it and follow thru.

Ash amount is going to vary from coal to coal.

no74falcon
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: 2) Leisure Line Pioneers, 1) Keystoker
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: 1) Hitzer 82FA, 1) Newmac WG100

Post by no74falcon » Sat. Aug. 12, 2017 7:31 am

I have a 82FA and it is one heating machine! I should have gone with the Model 55, as the 82 is a little too much for the house. In order to keep it burning efficiently, I couldn't keep the house under 80, and had to adjust the temp using my windowstats. I am moving it to the shop.

CorrosionMan
Location: SE Ohio - Carrolton/Kilgore/Perrysville -- inbetween
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Hitzer 82 FA
Coal Size/Type: Reading NUT 40lb plastic bags
Other Heating: Heat Pump

Post by CorrosionMan » Mon. Oct. 23, 2017 5:34 pm

Smokin deal at $300.

I have the 82FA. Excellent furnaces.

Post some pix!

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Mon. Oct. 23, 2017 5:49 pm

$300? Wowzers !

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Mon. Oct. 23, 2017 5:52 pm

Nice find!
You'll love it!

SawDustJack
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Newcastle/Ironhouse;Warm Morning 617a
Coal Size/Type: Stove/Nut

Post by SawDustJack » Tue. Oct. 24, 2017 6:10 am

Looks like it was never used! Nice score!

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”