Newb Here With ?S

Johnny5

Post by Johnny5 » Mon. Apr. 03, 2017 5:06 pm

Just starting to do some research so forgive me, for I not know what I'm saying.
1. I need a coal stove,so any recommendations will be greatly appreciated (also if you could add prices with said recommendations that would also be appreciated) I understand prices fluctuate some depending on location and who I'm buying it from but ball park would work.
2. Can I use a power vent on a hand loaded stove?
I'm not looking to break the bank but I am willing to spend a little extra for qaulity. The stove will be going in my basement, we just bought our first house it's a single floor ranch with full basement total of 2000 sqft. I don't mind loading if need be, just looking for a qaulity unit that won't break the bank. Also it must have a viewing window because I likes to look at the fire it's shiny :D

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Mon. Apr. 03, 2017 6:04 pm

Welcome Johnny5. Be patient and a cast of characters will be along to weave a trail of intrigue. And you get all your questions answered too. :lol:

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Mon. Apr. 03, 2017 6:12 pm

Speakin of location J, finish your profile--prices & availability vary.

Johnny5

Post by Johnny5 » Mon. Apr. 03, 2017 7:10 pm

Thanks for the replies, I will update my location.

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Mon. Apr. 03, 2017 7:27 pm

John, you should check out the different avenues on this website, and see what style suits your fancy. A basement installation could be very effective, depending how you install it. Also, what are your requirements for a chimney? Is there already one installed, or will you be starting from scratch? If you're willing to hang out through the summer, the crew here will have you up and running by next season. What brought you to coal? We're glad you chose it, and it won't let you down. Welcome aboard, and don't give up the ship. :)
P.S. Now I see your location. You are "VERY" close to a few of our "experienced" antique suppliers.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Mon. Apr. 03, 2017 7:47 pm

I'm going to move this to the hand fired forum, we should get all those old timers in on this one. :lol:

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Mon. Apr. 03, 2017 7:48 pm

Johnny5 wrote:1. I need a coal stove,so any recommendations will be greatly appreciated (also if you could add prices with said recommendations that would also be appreciated) I understand prices fluctuate some depending on location and who I'm buying it from but ball park would work.
Welcome to the forum.
When you say "stove" do you mean boiler, furnace or stove?
Johnny5 wrote:2. Can I use a power vent on a hand loaded stove?
No, absolutely not. You need a chimney.

There are lots of great hand fired stoves out there.

Good Luck,

-Don

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Mon. Apr. 03, 2017 7:54 pm

Welcome.

Does the house have a chimney currently? Any sort of central heat?

Johnny5

Post by Johnny5 » Mon. Apr. 03, 2017 8:27 pm

Thanks for all of this, I'm feelin the love. Stove, boiler, etc I have no idea the difference. When I say I'm a newb I'm talking Bambi hasn't figured out how to use them legs yet. I'm not even sure how chimney and draft and all that stuff works. I'm pretty sure I'm looking for a stove though. Like I said a stoker or hand load is what I'm lookin for. Currently my house has an oil burner. My brother in law said the chimney is not big enough to accommodate an additional heat source so we would be building a stainless steel job or I had seen a video about using a power vent on a stoker setup. I'm choosing coal due to its abilities and cost effectiveness and it's pretty awesome. I like that ol timey feeling.

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Mon. Apr. 03, 2017 8:34 pm

Johnny5 wrote:Thanks for all of this, I'm feelin the love. Stove, boiler, etc I have no idea the difference. When I say I'm a newb I'm talking Bambi hasn't figured out how to use them legs yet. I'm not even sure how chimney and draft and all that stuff works. I'm pretty sure I'm looking for a stove though. Like I said a stoker or hand load is what I'm lookin for. Currently my house has an oil burner. My brother in law said the chimney is not big enough to accommodate an additional heat source so we would be building a stainless steel job or I had seen a video about using a power vent on a stoker setup. I'm choosing coal due to its abilities and cost effectiveness and it's pretty awesome. I like that ol timey feeling.
Well, the rule is : one chimney, one appliance. Hooking up 2 appliances to one chimney is generally not recommended.

You'll likely still need to have that oil burner hooked up (chk local codes, insurance co. rules etc). But it looks like you have already decided to keep the oil burner. So it maybe a moot point.

Johnny5

Post by Johnny5 » Mon. Apr. 03, 2017 8:36 pm

Yeah I was planning on keeping it but I don't want to have to use it much at all if any. If that's possible?

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Mon. Apr. 03, 2017 8:40 pm

Hook your oil burner to either a power vent or stainless steel stack,hook the coal burner to the masonry chimney.

Johnny5

Post by Johnny5 » Mon. Apr. 03, 2017 8:43 pm

That would be difficult only because my furnace is directly under the chimney. It has doors that slide/fold open on all sides and it vents right up into it.

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Mon. Apr. 03, 2017 8:51 pm

Johnny5 wrote:That would be difficult only because my furnace is directly under the chimney. It has doors that slide/fold open on all sides and it vents right up into it.
The chimney has doors ??????????????
The furnace has doors ??? They open to vent the exhaust into the chimney ?????????????????

So when you decide to go 100% efficiency with oil,you open the doors & let the oil exhaust into your house ???????????????? (roll eyes)

PICTURES !!!!!!

Johnny5

Post by Johnny5 » Mon. Apr. 03, 2017 9:01 pm

Lmao no, I meant the furnace is enclosed with these doors and you open them up to access the furnace. Directly above it is the chimney which is vented directly to the top of the furnace. I'll upload some pics as soon as I can persuade myself to get up off the couch.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”