Dual Stage Coal Sorter and Fines Separator

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Sun. Mar. 19, 2017 5:50 pm

So yeah, I built on to the fines separator and added a nut/stove size sorter. All I did here is modify the top bread tray to allow fines to nut size fall thru leaving the biggest sizes on the top tray. Once I clear off the stove size from the blue tray the nut size and fines (and everything in between) is on the orange tray. Then just nudge it to and fro with the shovel and the fines fall thru the hardware cloth.

This will be very handy in the upcoming weeks as it gets warmer. I'll layer stove size in the stove first, then top it with a blanket of nut and pea size. The fire idles much happier this way.

Attachments

20170319_173527.jpg
.JPG | 136KB | 20170319_173527.jpg
20170319_173541.jpg
.JPG | 143.3KB | 20170319_173541.jpg
20170319_173600.jpg
.JPG | 136.2KB | 20170319_173600.jpg

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Sat. Mar. 25, 2017 3:49 pm

ok, I like this, real simple.

but, where are you buying that 'stove' coal with so much sub sized junk in it ?

i saw the stove coal purchased from Lehigh during the meet and greet, it didn't look anything like that, at least not on top. of course the smalls and fines rattle down so it may be the same after all.

steve

Lightning
Site Moderator

Post by Lightning » Sat. Mar. 25, 2017 4:29 pm

KingCoal wrote: where are you buying that 'stove' coal with so much sub sized junk in it ?
Thanks Steve, it's what my coal guy brings. The stove size I got this year is very big, almost too big. Much of it is fist size. There seems to be some "normal" stove size and big nut size amongst it as well. Now that I'm digging in under the coal chute door, I'm finding a more of the various sizes and of course thats were the fines tend to be also. I'm leaning towards getting the stove/nut mix for next year. I've also been talking to my coal guy about getting some Lehigh, I hope it works out.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Sat. Mar. 25, 2017 4:54 pm

If you make a pivot point in the middle of that somehow, you could easily sit in a lazy boy sipping beer and rotate/shake it with a long handle. Im not sure if the bread trays are strong enough for that though.

michaelanthony
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Gold Marc Independence
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: 'nut
Other Heating: Fujitsu mini split, FHA oil furnace

Post by michaelanthony » Sat. Mar. 25, 2017 6:16 pm

luckily my fines are minimal in my bagged stove coal from CoalContractors, 1/4 - 1/2 cup per 50lb bag. I simply burn it all and I understand having a coal bin and the method of delivery can cause and accumulate fines. Would raking the coal with an iron rake in the coal bin help separate the bigger stuff then containerize the fines for mixing and burning next season? Thus eliminating the sifting.

Lightning
Site Moderator

Post by Lightning » Sat. Mar. 25, 2017 7:00 pm

As far as fines are concerned, I don't start sifting till about half way thru the winter (late January) which is about the time that I start digging in under the coal chute door. I actually have a 55 gallon barrel full to the brim of fines that came from last winter and part of this winter. When I was hauling coal in barrels, they weighed in at about 450 pounds. So I'm guessing I've got close to that much weight in fines now lol. I'm planning to do a little landscaping with them this summer around our previous dog's memorial in the yard.

I'm such a coal snob to the point that I just don't wanna deal with them in my fire lol. In past attempts to just throw in fines with the coal load most of them just shook out into the ash pan and in the meantime they made the burn unpredictable, slow to recover ect.... Although, I've considered giving it another try. Maybe I could sprinkle a couple shovels on top of the stove size for a blanket so it will idle better. It's getting to be that time of year for cooler running fires. I don't mind sifting, it gives me something to do while the fire is revving up before shake down.

Thank you for the replies fellas :)

Lightning
Site Moderator

Post by Lightning » Sat. Mar. 25, 2017 7:02 pm

warminmn wrote:If you make a pivot point in the middle of that somehow, you could easily sit in a lazy boy sipping beer and rotate/shake it with a long handle. Im not sure if the bread trays are strong enough for that though.
I wonder what my wife will say when she comes home to find the living room recliner is missing? :lol:

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Sat. Mar. 25, 2017 8:15 pm

i think the pivot is a great idea.

put a piece of dowel rod or hand rail in the middle of both the top and bottom "screens" so they become tipples.

hook your 90* poker into the top one and standing straight up push and pull both layers up and down at the same time with nothing more than slight elbow movement.

i'm liking it better all the time.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Sat. Mar. 25, 2017 8:30 pm

Lightning wrote:
warminmn wrote:If you make a pivot point in the middle of that somehow, you could easily sit in a lazy boy sipping beer and rotate/shake it with a long handle. Im not sure if the bread trays are strong enough for that though.
I wonder what my wife will say when she comes home to find the living room recliner is missing? :lol:
She wont notice if you buy her flowers :lol:

What little sifting I have done it was not a fun job and anything that makes it easier I would recommend.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”