How Low Can Yer Chubby Go...

waldo lemieux

Post by waldo lemieux » Fri. Mar. 17, 2017 9:15 am

I have a buddy who switched over form wood and bought a chubby. He has a 750 sq ft house on the shore of Lake Ontario. He has a baro and mpd and about 8' of internal insulated stainless chimney. It seem to me that he cant get it to idle down low enough, maybe 275 at best. Is that in the range or does he have an air leak problem?

ONEDOLLAR
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 2014 Chubby Prototype
Coal Size/Type: Nut/Anthracite

Post by ONEDOLLAR » Fri. Mar. 17, 2017 9:38 am

I could get my Chubby down to about 200-225f but as you know every install is different.

As for an air leak issue if your friend has replaced to gaskets on the doors there shouldn't be any leaks.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Fri. Mar. 17, 2017 9:52 am

If he's too hot, open the MPD to let some heat go up the chimney, or open a window. Yes, wastes a little coal but oh well.

Possibly open that small secondary hole on the side of the stove first. The stove should run a hair cooler without wasting coal, but its not a very big hole. I do that on my larger stove.

waldo lemieux

Post by waldo lemieux » Fri. Mar. 17, 2017 10:41 am

When he reloads It will drop down to 200 but within 15 min hes up to 300 ish with the thing completely shut down and .05 on the gauge. with 30 deg weather and no wind I don't think he could kill the fire if he tried. Is that normal? I know the door gaskets are week as I can see it with a smoke test. he is planning on doing it this summer. Meanwhile he could use a chubby jr. if anyone wants to swap....

ONEDOLLAR
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 2014 Chubby Prototype
Coal Size/Type: Nut/Anthracite

Post by ONEDOLLAR » Fri. Mar. 17, 2017 10:54 am

Once the gaskets are replaced I suspect the issue will be resolved. Meanwhile he could try topping the stove off with some "pea coal" to tamp things down a bit. That should drop the temp a bit. :D

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”