Crazy, Excessive, Out of Control Flues and Draft

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Mon. Mar. 06, 2017 1:19 pm

here's a little something shared with me recently that I think should have it's own titled thread so it will search better by those working with this kind of situation in the future.

There is a Victorian solution for chimneys with out of control drafts. with the tall chimney stacks of yesteryear excessive, out of control draft was the common issue. what they did was along with the usual damper above the stove the added what was called a "pipe check".

you simply put a "T" fitting right on the stove exhaust collar. the exhaust pipe going up I put on one side of the "T" and an additional run of pipe is put on the lower side of the "T" and run down to near the floor parallel to the back pipe. at the bottom of this you put another MPD and if desired a cap to block it when needed. this allows an extreme draft to be controlled by this pipe check along with the damper(s) above the stove.

there you go, an old timey steady state Baro. that uses the coolest air in the room and is mostly out of sight.

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Mon. Mar. 06, 2017 2:12 pm

;)

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Mon. Mar. 06, 2017 2:30 pm

KingCoal wrote:here's a little something shared with me recently that I think should have it's own titled thread so it will search better by those working with this kind of situation in the future.

There is a Victorian solution for chimneys with out of control drafts. with the tall chimney stacks of yesteryear excessive, out of control draft was the common issue. what they did was along with the usual damper above the stove the added what was called a "pipe check".

you simply put a "T" fitting right on the stove exhaust collar. the exhaust pipe going up I put on one side of the "T" and an additional run of pipe is put on the lower side of the "T" and run down to near the floor parallel to the back pipe. at the bottom of this you put another MPD and if desired a cap to block it when needed. this allows an extreme draft to be controlled by this pipe check along with the damper(s) above the stove.

there you go, an old timey steady state Baro. that uses the coolest air in the room and is mostly out of sight.
And in Victorian kitchens they sometimes vented range hoods into the same chimney, too. Helped control draft while getting cooking odors and excess heat out of the kitchen.

With large ranges - some with double ovens and long cooktops, that were putting out so much heat, combined with two and three story houses with tall ceilings, the chimneys were very tall and the draft strength must have been amazing.

The Italianate mansion across the street had one such setup in it's very large kitchen. One 8 inch chimney thimble about a foot, or so above the other 8 inch thimble. 8 inch thimbles are only needed with extremely large ranges.

Before they recently remodeled, you could still make out the outline of the large range hood in the wall paint around the upper thimble.

Paul

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Fri. Mar. 10, 2017 2:58 pm

Put a screen over it to keep the cat out. :o

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Fri. Mar. 10, 2017 4:19 pm

KingCoal wrote:here's a little something shared with me recently that I think should have it's own titled thread so it will search better by those working with this kind of situation in the future.

Makes me wonder if you could take it a step farther and pass the pipe right to the outside and avoid drawing the cold air into the structure. Instead of outside air for combustion it would be outside air for draft control.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Fri. Mar. 10, 2017 4:56 pm

To go even a step further, what about a baro sealed to a clean out door if it were at the base of a chimney outside.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”