Wood or Coal?

B1uebe11e

Post by B1uebe11e » Fri. Feb. 17, 2017 8:46 pm

Hello. I Googled for information on a Moore's Seventeen Gloria -W Heater and found the NEPA website. I have no idea when it was made. It looks to be around the 1920s or 1930s, because it has an Art Deco style. Is coal or wood to be burned in it? I have more pictures, but it would only allow me to attach three to this post. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
p.s. I hope I posted this query in the correct discussion group.

Attachments

IMG_9501.JPG
.JPG | 160.1KB | IMG_9501.JPG
IMG_9510.JPG
.JPG | 140.9KB | IMG_9510.JPG
IMG_3670.jpg
.JPG | 492.6KB | IMG_3670.jpg

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Fri. Feb. 17, 2017 8:54 pm

Does it have grates & a shaker system? Looks like a lot of coal ash in/on it. Plus good under air vents.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Fri. Feb. 17, 2017 9:10 pm

I would say you are correct on the date of manufacture. They made some rather ornate stuff in the late 1800s. If the grates are good she's a keeper. It will burn coal and pump out some serious heat.

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Fri. Feb. 17, 2017 9:59 pm

Did someone call me?.... :D

Yes, if the grates move it can burn coal.

B1uebe11e

Post by B1uebe11e » Fri. Feb. 17, 2017 10:09 pm

I will check for the grates tomorrow. Do people still use coal for stoves today? Just curious where they get it. There are small bits of coal in a heap (about 4 gallons worth) in the floor of the old wash house, now mixed with dirt and debris from being there for many decades.

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Fri. Feb. 17, 2017 10:45 pm

Absolutely! I was just looking at your first photo, that sure looks like a shaker handle from here. That's a beautiful stove.

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Sat. Feb. 18, 2017 12:39 am

This is most definitely a coal stove. It's a Moore's and that company produced some of the most collectable and desirable coal stoves that were made in the Mid West.
The style of stove you have is called a, "circulator," stove. That means that the heating surfaces are surrounded by a sheathing of steel which allows cold air to enter the bottom and hot air to come out of the top. You have a very large viewing window which is outfitted with mica panes. Those are easy and inexpensive to replace.
It's a high quality stove and it would easily heat your home even during the most bitter weather.

And to answer your other questions. Lots and lots of people burn coal still and more and more or starting to as well. Everyone here burns coal and as you can see there is a sizable bunch of us.
Here, you will find the answers to any of your questions or concerns.

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Sat. Feb. 18, 2017 1:22 am

Welcome to the forum Blue. If you're looking to supplement your heating system, and you don't mind spending a little time working your stove, you can easily become addicted to the warmth and entertainment a coal stove provides. With the added benefit of the nostalgia a stove such as yours possesses. Hope to hear more of your questions. Enjoy. :)

lowfog01
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Mark II & Mark I
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea

Post by lowfog01 » Sat. Feb. 18, 2017 9:10 am

Welcome - Please take a minute and fill out your profile. If we know where you are there are probably members close by who can tell you where to get coal and answer all you question. Take care, Lisa

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Sat. Feb. 18, 2017 9:17 am

lowfog01 wrote:Welcome - Please take a minute and fill out your profile. If we know where you are there are probably members close by who can tell you where to get coal and answer all you question. Take care, Lisa
+1

Where you are can be a big factor in which fuel is an easier fit to your locale. Lots of cheap firewood around here. And there are lots of coal dealers, but very few of them advertise as much as the wood dealers. So it's not so easy to find coal by other than word-of-mouth from other coal users.

Paul

B1uebe11e

Post by B1uebe11e » Sat. Feb. 18, 2017 6:57 pm

Thanks for the welcome and compliments. I am moving and can't take the stove with me. I'd rather find a good home for it instead of taking a chance that the new buyers will not appreciate it. That's why I was wondering if anyone knew its worth. The grate is intact, but after rereading these posts I realize I didn't see if it shakes. I live in a house built in the 1890s with the last addition put on in 1983. I live in the newest part. The rest of the house needs restoration, although electrical replacements from the late 1920s were put in 2 1/2 years ago. I also need to know where coal could be bought in the Harrisonburg/Weyers Cave/Staunton, Virginia area. Any estimates on it's worth, please?

Attachments

IMG_3671.JPG
.JPG | 80.2KB | IMG_3671.JPG
IMG_3672.JPG
.JPG | 148.7KB | IMG_3672.JPG

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Sat. Feb. 18, 2017 7:15 pm

It looks like it has some decent grating in it. It would be nice to know if they operate, or are frozen. I'm going out on a limb here, and give you an "inexperienced" opinion.
If the grates do operate, and the structure isn't critically cracked or broken, and with a good clean-up, I think it'll move around a couple hundred bucks. If you could find a buyer who is into coal burning, and has some knowledge about what the performance this stove will put out, and has a place for it, maybe $300 or more. If the grates are frozen, the accessories are missing and some-one else wanted to put the time in fixing it, maybe a hundred or so. But that's just me talking out loud. If the more experience crew here knows more about the benefits this stove possesses, you might get a different story. Good luck with it. It looks like it has potential, for the right person.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sat. Feb. 18, 2017 9:09 pm

Damn B, take it with ya--there's more then one Virginny person on here. Hopefully they'll chime in. That's a one of a kind stove ya got there.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”