DS Machine Anthramax

John27elec
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93, DS Anthramax Stove, Harman TLC2000
Coal Size/Type: Reading Pea Coal, Reading Nut
Other Heating: Electric Baseboard

Post by John27elec » Mon. Jan. 23, 2017 8:42 pm

Hi Guys- recently just purchased and installed a DS Machine XV15 Anthramax. I have had a couple wood fires in it so far, no coal yet pretty warm around here till the weekend. Anyhow curious if anyone knows much about the over the fire air for burning coal. How do you judge on how much over the fire air to give the coal ? Use to the Hitzer that don't have any over the fire air, Interested to see how it does compared to the Hitzer. Taking the Hitzer to the garage and moving the Harman out...

Any feedback is appreciated

oliver power
Stoker Coal Boiler: KEYSTOKER Kaa-2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-2310), D.S. 1600 Circulator, Hitzer 254

Post by oliver power » Mon. Jan. 23, 2017 11:00 pm

I've owned the HITZER's. GREAT STOVES!!! Bought the D.S. 1600 to replace the HITZER 30-95 in shop, due to shop expansion. So far, my point is to lets you know I've had both; The HITZER, with no over fire air. And the D.S. with FIXED over fire air.

Here are my conclusions so far:
1.) If you have a stove which traps / pockets gasses (D.S. Circulator, Harman Mark series, etc.), you want over fire air for dilution of gasses.
2.) Over fire air also helps in the aid of burning these gasses, once ignited.
3.) However, once gasses are burnt off, you don't need over fire air.

Recently, I discovered (Thanks to help from forum members), I'm able to fine tune the strength of draft coming up through the coal bed, by plugging / unplugging fixed over fire air holes. D.S. must have realized this, as now the over fire air in the ANTHAMAX is adjustable.

So, in your case, open the over fire air at tending time. Once gasses are burned off, close the over fire air. If draft coming up through the coal bed is a little too much, open the over fire air some. You'll have to find the balance.

As Lightning said in an earlier post, a good average draft for a natural draft stove is between -.03, and -.05. This is so all your heat doesn't go up the chimney. After your chimney draft is set, should you notice flames shooting out of the bed of coals like under pressure, you may have excess draft coming up through the coal bed. You can lessen the draft coming up through the coal bed by opening the over fire air vent some. Doing this, the chimney is not pulling ALL the draft up through the coal bed. Some air is being pulled through the over fire air vent. You're looking for some what of a lazy flame coming from the coal bed. But, not too lazy. Like I said, you'll have to find the balance to where your stove runs best. In all reality, once you find that sweet spot, you shouldn't have to touch the over fire air ever again.

One more thing: Keep us up to date, if you would. The ANTHRAMAX is a new stove. We'd like to hear feed back on the ANTHRMAX.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Tue. Jan. 24, 2017 7:17 am

If I understand correctly, the product line at DS Stove will be losing the circulator style of stoves in favor of the newer AnthraMax line of stoves..

coalfan
Hand Fed Coal Stove: ds circultor1500 \chubby coal stove
Coal Size/Type: nut/ pea ant.some bit.
Other Heating: kerosene\cold nat. gas

Post by coalfan » Tue. Jan. 24, 2017 9:02 am

MG that is what they are saying ,but havent heard or seen anyhting sae in stone as of yet , and as far as tha anthramax goes there is a video on messick stove site that comepares the DS circulator , to the new anthramax , but watch and listen close to his comparisons , the 1500 he says is burning nearly wide open , and to compare to the new 1500 ant. and as he shows the temps on said stoves I think he trying to push the ant. but again listen closely an watch not bad but a little astray on details and attention to the details and settings of both stoves . just my two cents guys .

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Tue. Jan. 24, 2017 10:00 am

Dealers may have remaining inventory of the circulators, like at Messicks, but check DS website...no longer in advertised product line. :)

oliver power
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-2310), D.S. 1600 Circulator, Hitzer 254

Post by oliver power » Tue. Jan. 24, 2017 7:12 pm

coalfan wrote:MG that is what they are saying ,but havent heard or seen anyhting sae in stone as of yet , and as far as tha anthramax goes there is a video on messick stove site that comepares the DS circulator , to the new anthramax , but watch and listen close to his comparisons , the 1500 he says is burning nearly wide open , and to compare to the new 1500 ant. and as he shows the temps on said stoves I think he trying to push the ant. but again listen closely an watch not bad but a little astray on details and attention to the details and settings of both stoves . just my two cents guys .
Yes Coalfan, I've watched that video. I agree with what you are trying to say. I don't think I could put it any better than you. One would have to watch the video, and pay attention. :) .

John27elec

Post by John27elec » Sun. Jan. 29, 2017 9:28 pm

Sorry guys for the long delay getting back with some results. After reading the feedback and talking with DS about the over the fire air on the stove think I might have some what of a system down. One thing I am struggling with is shaking the grates, it doesn't seem as smooth as the Hitzer maybe just because moving four grates instead of two grates I dunno, but getting better.

Boy I cannot believe how well those circulation tubes work .... We have shut off all of the fans in our house since having the Amax running. Amazing how such an easy concept works... also with the over the fire air it burns wood very well and clean without the soot.

John

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Mon. Jan. 30, 2017 11:05 am

oliver power wrote:Recently, I discovered (Thanks to help from forum members), I'm able to fine tune the strength of draft coming up through the coal bed, by plugging / unplugging fixed over fire air holes. D.S. must have realized this, as now the over fire air in the ANTHAMAX is adjustable.
That plugging/unplugging is a real pain, so I compromised at half the air holes open. I'd like to devise some sort of adjustable slide valve for the ends of that square secondary air channel, but I'm having trouble envisioning how to do it. Any ideas?

oliver power

Post by oliver power » Mon. Jan. 30, 2017 6:48 pm

rberq wrote:
oliver power wrote:Recently, I discovered (Thanks to help from forum members), I'm able to fine tune the strength of draft coming up through the coal bed, by plugging / unplugging fixed over fire air holes. D.S. must have realized this, as now the over fire air in the ANTHAMAX is adjustable.
That plugging/unplugging is a real pain, so I compromised at half the air holes open. I'd like to devise some sort of adjustable slide valve for the ends of that square secondary air channel, but I'm having trouble envisioning how to do it. Any ideas?
No serious thoughts yet. I just plugged one more hole today. As of now, I have two open holes left. I don't plug, and un-plug holes. I think I've got it where I want it now. I'll leave the bolts in all but two holes. It was working well with all but three holes plugged. I'm thinking plugging one more hole pin-points it. So Far, the stove is performing quite well (No Hopper). Make no bones about it, it's no HITZER. It will NEVER perform like a HITZER. NO WAY! The HITZER is a performance stove. That being said; it is performing nicely. It's performing the best it ever has in the year, and one half I've had it. She's very slow to respond to any adjustments. Slow, but steady. :)

oliver power

Post by oliver power » Mon. Jan. 30, 2017 10:44 pm

rberq wrote:
Cut away the mesh in front of the square tube. Take another smaller square tube, which slides inside the square tube in stove. Cap the end of the smaller square tube. Slot, or drill holes in the smaller tube. Slide all the way in to close off air. Pull out to let air go through holes / slots. I like dropping bolts in the holes.

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Mon. Jan. 30, 2017 11:00 pm

In case I should change my mind about base burner, or even another wood stove, I have been keeping an open mind into buying a modern coal stove and the DS Anthramax and the Hitzer as well as the Harman (Legacy). I would like to get more real world input from those who use them and/or have owned both or more. I like the idea of a duel fuel stove, but had some reservations based on things I had read about duel fuel stoves not being efficient with either fuel. Of course, my mind was changed with that when I found out about the Glenwood base burner from days gone by...with it's long burn times with Anthracite coal and the ability to burn wood...which I likely will not do should I go that route...but options are nice. Definitely want to burn Anthracite and possibly keep a wood burner on hand as well.

The circulation tubes on the DS really got my attention. I like how they work.

Can the poster explain what he meant by it's no Hitzer?

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Tue. Jan. 31, 2017 12:08 pm

oliver power wrote:Cut away the mesh in front of the square tube. Take another smaller square tube, which slides inside the square tube in stove. Cap the end of the smaller square tube. Slot, or drill holes in the smaller tube. Slide all the way in to close off air. Pull out to let air go through holes / slots. I like dropping bolts in the holes.
Kind of what I was thinking. Great minds work alike. :)
My original idea was to carve a square wooden plug in could insert and remove. But then I found this plate on the back of the stove that said "Hot when in use". Rats.

John27elec

Post by John27elec » Fri. Mar. 31, 2017 9:24 pm

Hi Guys just wanted to update everyone on the DS Anthramax and its usage. So I was having some problems with the grates didn't seem as smooth as they should be well to find out a bolt was loose behind the living room metal on the sides causing excessive slop fixed that problem. The next thing I have learned with the stove even with colder weather down around zero I only shake every 24 hours, I was finding that when I shake every 12 hours not much ash in there basically wasting my time.

I don't have much time burning with the hopper in, I purchased the front loading baffle so I could burn a bit of wood if wanted very clean and efficient. Also with the front loading baffle it has holes to use the re-burn system for wood and coal which works very well. The circulator tubes are very effective no fans or noises anymore in the house which is a great feature.

The one negative I will give the stove so far that I have noticed is the DS Regulator is not as quickly to respond as the Hitzer Control, or at least it seems to me. Maybe its just because the tin plat versus the DS heavy lid ? But is also nice on a really windy day I don't hear the tin flapping once in a while.

Overall I give it a thumbs up to whoever wants a very good wood/coal combination stove. If you are burning straight coal all the time and that's all you want to burn that's great and I personally would buy another Hitzer 50-93. Moved that girl to the garage she works like a champ on the weekends.

John

oliver power

Post by oliver power » Fri. Mar. 31, 2017 9:57 pm

John27elec wrote:Hi Guys just wanted to update everyone on the DS Anthramax and its usage. So I was having some problems with the grates didn't seem as smooth as they should be well to find out a bolt was loose behind the living room metal on the sides causing excessive slop fixed that problem. The next thing I have learned with the stove even with colder weather down around zero I only shake every 24 hours, I was finding that when I shake every 12 hours not much ash in there basically wasting my time.

I don't have much time burning with the hopper in, I purchased the front loading baffle so I could burn a bit of wood if wanted very clean and efficient. Also with the front loading baffle it has holes to use the re-burn system for wood and coal which works very well. The circulator tubes are very effective no fans or noises anymore in the house which is a great feature.

The one negative I will give the stove so far that I have noticed is the DS Regulator is not as quickly to respond as the Hitzer Control, or at least it seems to me. Maybe its just because the tin plat versus the DS heavy lid ? But is also nice on a really windy day I don't hear the tin flapping once in a while.

Overall I give it a thumbs up to whoever wants a very good wood/coal combination stove. If you are burning straight coal all the time and that's all you want to burn that's great and I personally would buy another Hitzer 50-93. Moved that girl to the garage she works like a champ on the weekends.

John
Always nice to hear feed back. Especially on a new product. I like my D.S.. I really do. In a house setting, I think it'd be ok. For a shop setting, I'm going back to the HITZER. When it comes to performance, no comparison between the two.

Back to your new ANTHRAMAX: Those circulator tubes do a nice job of circulating the heat. Very slow, but nice. And does it in complete silence. Feels like a well balanced hot water heating system.
Any Pictures???

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”