SMALLEST Coal Stove Available.

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Thu. Jan. 26, 2017 3:27 pm

Seems no one is listening so I will say it again.

Union Stove Works Invader 2 see posts on this forum. Just a fantastic tiny stove with three sides of mica windows, just drop dead gorgeous. Very controllable and has a magazine that runs for well over 24 hours on low. Everything else listed here is junk by comparison. The only problem is finding one. :) Coal stove design mastery from 130 years ago designed for the rich who had apartments in large cities. They were expensive (comparatively) even then. Poster badlegdave had a very poor example with a destroyed grate and surprise, surprise, it did not work well.

coalnewbie

Post by coalnewbie » Thu. Jan. 26, 2017 9:51 pm

Orrrrr,
Take a look at the Jotul 507b. They are only one foot square and three feet tall. They have positive locking doors and are very easy to run. They are made from high quality cast. They have a max BTU output of 42,400. At max burn they are like a reactor going critical and they can be idled down so low you can hold your hand on the top of the stove for as long as you wish without burning your hand or having the stove going out. I have had mine idle for weeks at such a low idle the cast was barely warm to the touch. Open the draft and several minutes later the stove will throw off the heat. I have one that has ben online 24/7 for two years. Currently my Jotul 507 is idling with 14 hr burn times. I have a chubby sr and it doesn't hold a candle to the Jotul. The Jotul is easier to control, fit and finish on the Jotul is at a much higher standard, more efficient burner of coal, can burn a wider range of coal (from pea to stove coal), easier to shake, empty, and fill. Yes, the chubby sr will displace more heat and has a GREAT burn pot, however, comparing the size of the two stoves, the Jotul with its very small foot print and positive attributes, I believe is a far better stove. It can take a beating both physically and coal burning. Max burn temp of a Jotul is 932 F. I only wish the Jotul was made in a larger unit somewhere around 100,000 BTU range while maintaining all the positive characteristics of the 507b. This is just my two cents.

The snowman.

rodhotter
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmaan MK I
Coal Size/Type: anthracite nut
Other Heating: oil

Post by rodhotter » Tue. Jan. 22, 2019 12:00 am

i have a POS chinese vogelzang pot belly in my garage that i fire with wood when needed, its also for coal but good luck with the odd grates!! they are pretty pricey now but i got lucky about 8 years ago on sale. i have a harman mkI in my house, a great stove. for a very small space a gas on wall unit with thermostat + low oxygen would be ideal IMO. nothing cheaper than coal but for prolly $250 you could be cookin with a gas wall hung heater, propane or natural.

rodhotter
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmaan MK I
Coal Size/Type: anthracite nut
Other Heating: oil

Post by rodhotter » Tue. Jan. 22, 2019 10:12 pm

on another note if that small space is tight + insulated it will take VERY little to heat it + should stay warm awhile without heat IMO

PFrank
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Fatsco Midget
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: Propane wall heater

Post by PFrank » Thu. Jan. 24, 2019 9:50 pm

Here is a Fatsco Midget that heats a 300sf cabin/home in Mio, MI. Please excuse the mess. After a week of 20f days and -20f nights there were some nuts that are like porcelain taking up space, must be some clay in our coal. The picture is of a fresh fire with the non burning nuggets on the floor.

Attachments

IMG_20190124_173750_01.jpg
.JPG | 437.8KB | IMG_20190124_173750_01.jpg

charlesosborne2002
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant II 2310
Other Heating: natural gas central forced air

Post by charlesosborne2002 » Thu. Jan. 24, 2019 11:44 pm

I agree--that is a good possibility. It also has a factor you have not mentioned--if you have electricity, you can get a coal stove with motorized feed from a hopper--it stokes itself as needed. And in that case you have some that can stay lit at very little heat output, when desired. Most stoves do not boast how small their BTU's can get without going out, but that is the figure you want.

One that I seriously considered for my 900 sq ft cottage will heat a two bedroom house--but also can burn at a very low 7000 BTU, hardly more than one electric space heater. It is the Hitzer 608 Energy Master. You don't want a stove that takes up your whole space, and this one can sit safely 2 inches from the wall.

One issue is that are a number of issues to consider--not just a small stove. Some small ones are a lot of trouble to maintain, while the good choices can be tended briefly in the morning, then briefly in the evening--all winter without going out. I like one with a thermostatic control of some kind, which can keep it down low if wanted. And some small ones have quite a big heat output.

But if your cabin is small and you don't need it heated all winter, or all day and night, a small fireplace might be a better value, or even some sort of gas or kerosene thing. Bituminous coal (if you can stand the ecology of using it) can burn in a coal basket in the fireplace, preferably a small fireplace, and it can even be mixed with wood. The open fire has charm, but more work than a modern efficient stove, not to mention smoke and soot. But hard anthracite coal is convenient only if you can let it burn for a week or two at at time (at least), because it takes a while to get it going and it is not worth doing that every few days.

Fortunately many of the smaller simple coal stoves that can heat a house can also be burned slow and low just by reducing the air intake--it slows the burn. This control makes coal superior to wood. A smallish coal stove can go 24 hours on low without tending. Each brand has small, medium, and large stoves. Most stokers require electricity, while others do not--you hand feed them once or twice a day--much less attention than wood.

If cost is an issue, you can shop used ones far below new prices, but of course you may need a wise shopping friend to get a good one without problems.

Starting Out wrote:
Mon. Jan. 16, 2017 8:11 pm
Leisure Line has a very small stove called The LIL Heater.

charlesosborne2002
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant II 2310
Other Heating: natural gas central forced air

Post by charlesosborne2002 » Thu. Jan. 24, 2019 11:52 pm

coalnewbie wrote:
Thu. Jan. 26, 2017 9:51 pm
Orrrrr,
Two of those Jotuls might be better than one big one. But I did not know they still made coal stoves.

coalnewbie

Post by coalnewbie » Fri. Jan. 25, 2019 12:58 am

They don't but you see them from time to time in the used market. The snowman uses two for heat. Great little stoves.

coalkirk
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520 retired
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507 on standby
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite/rice coal

Post by coalkirk » Fri. Jan. 25, 2019 7:16 am

The Jotul 507's are great little stoves. I have a green one in with original firebrick and metal inserts that are in great shape. I'm not using it at the moment. I also have a red one with no firebrick or metal inserts. I'm going to install all firebrick in it. They have a very compact footprint and can really kick out some heat!

coalnewbie

Post by coalnewbie » Fri. Jan. 25, 2019 8:58 am

I bought one 5 years ago that had never been fired. Used it for one winter. In my application I had to run it at a very high temp and that meant I became a stove mistress so I retired it. Love it and won't part with it. Lots of threads on them and you can find them around if you search ... good luck.

coalkirk
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520 retired
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507 on standby
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite/rice coal

Post by coalkirk » Fri. Jan. 25, 2019 9:29 am

I remember seeing it advertised. A brand new 1970's 507 never fired. I would have loved to buy it.

auntievintage
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood 116
Coal Size/Type: Stove / Nut
Other Heating: Oil forced luke-warm air

Post by auntievintage » Sat. Feb. 09, 2019 9:11 am

biggerpatterson wrote:
Mon. Jan. 16, 2017 8:09 pm
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/232197951850?vectori ... rmvSB=true These are about as small as I've seen. Quite a few for sale on Craigslist. They work well if you are around to shake them often.
I have used these godins... they will throw the heat, a LOT of heat for that small space and tending will be frequent.
I picked up a “laundry” stove to try out in a tiny cabin we’ve built. I won’t be able to report back on it until next season.
I also picked up 2 Clifton Magee #10 base heaters. They will be this summer’s project. I think they will be perfect small-space solutions:
Magee Clifton 1895

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”