Harman Mark II Inside Pictures

Modern and vintage hand fired coal stove are similar to a wood stove and in some cases can burn either. They need to be regulated and fed by hand usually every 12 to 24 hours depending on your usage. They require no power to operate making them ideal for rural settings with long power outages.
djackman
Stove/Furnace Make: 1980 vintage Tarm
Stove/Furnace Model: FT22 (aka 202) installed!

Post Sun. May. 18, 2008 12:53 pm

I recently picked up a well-used Harman Mark II stove for use next season. Shaker grates are ok after a good cleaning but most of the firebrick is missing and the some of the top baffle plate is a bentburned away from overfiring. (the section that is over the fire not the back, if that makes sense...)

Could someone with a Mark II send/post a picture or two of the inside so I can figure out what the baffle should look like, and how the firebrick are laid out?

I was planning on cutting out the damaged section of the baffle and replacing it with 3/16" sheet. It looks like the firebrick on the sides and back stand vertically, then the front behind the door lay horizontally. Correct?

Thanks!
3 years w/ wood stove -> 1 year w/ coal stove -> coal boiler installed 10/3/08.... it's evolution baby!

Razzler
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF520
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post Sun. May. 18, 2008 1:40 pm

djackman wrote:I recently picked up a well-used Harman Mark II stove for use next season. Shaker grates are ok after a good cleaning but most of the firebrick is missing and the some of the top baffle plate is a bentburned away from overfiring. (the section that is over the fire not the back, if that makes sense...)

Could someone with a Mark II send/post a picture or two of the inside so I can figure out what the baffle should look like, and how the firebrick are laid out?

I was planning on cutting out the damaged section of the baffle and replacing it with 3/16" sheet. It looks like the firebrick on the sides and back stand vertically, then the front behind the door lay horizontally. Correct?

Thanks!
You can d/l the pdf on the mark II here
**Broken Link(s) Removed** it shows how the brick are set in the firebox... ;)

Visit Hitzer Stoves

djackman
Stove/Furnace Make: 1980 vintage Tarm
Stove/Furnace Model: FT22 (aka 202) installed!

Post Sun. May. 18, 2008 4:42 pm

How'd I miss that, must have spent an hour on Harman's site last night.... Has a pretty good diagram of how the baffle should be too.

I found the thread about "wings" for the ash pan which I'll try to implement Emptying Ash - Dealing With Dust

Ash pan didn't come with it so I have to build one anyway.
3 years w/ wood stove -> 1 year w/ coal stove -> coal boiler installed 10/3/08.... it's evolution baby!

CoalHeat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post Sun. May. 18, 2008 8:23 pm

After 2 years use I have to replace some of the firebrick in my Mark I, several have hairline cracks is the one above the LR shaker pivot is cracked into 3 pieces, probably happened when I first started out and had really bad coal. A large rock hard clinker jammed in the grates. I would say firebrick replacement is a normal maintenance operation every fall.
Heating a circa 1832 farmhouse with a Harman Magnafire Mark I & a 1959 EFM 350 (heating DHW).
100% Oil Free!
"It's what we learn after we think we know it all that counts."

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”