Ash Buildup in a Harmon MK 2

Homesteader
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark II
Coal Size/Type: Nut, Stove
Other Heating: H.B. Smith oil fired boiler

Post by Homesteader » Tue. Jan. 10, 2017 9:39 am

rberq wrote:
lowfog01 wrote:the trick is to load the stove with as much coal as you can banking it from just below the load door to the top of the firebricks ... I'd be hesitant to load coal all the way to just under the baffle. The reason is those coals reach incredible temperatures and they are burning directly on steel.
I loaded my Mark 1 to just below the load door, and it twice burned out the steel bracket, bolted middle-front, that held the firebricks. It was a cheap part, about $15 as I recall, and only took about two minutes to replace, but still -- shows you what the burning coal can do to heavy steel. I don't know if the Mark 2 has the same bracket.
Thanks for the feedback. Actually I only load the back to the top of the firebricks which is just below the baffle. rberg thanks for the tip on the firebrick bracket on the front, I'll keep an eye on it. With a good load and the air opened 1 turn it gives me the heat I need during these cold spells. It can go easily 14 to 16 hrs.

J.L.

lowfog01
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Mark II & Mark I
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea

Post by lowfog01 » Tue. Jan. 10, 2017 10:26 am

rberq wrote: I loaded my Mark 1 to just below the load door, and it twice burned out the steel bracket, bolted middle-front, that held the firebricks. It was a cheap part, about $15 as I recall, and only took about two minutes to replace, but still -- shows you what the burning coal can do to heavy steel. I don't know if the Mark 2 has the same bracket.
That Mark II does have that same bracket. I've burned through a couple of them over the years. They are cheap so I always order two when I order them. I look at them as I do firebricks, cheap and easy to replace so why not. Lisa

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”