They Wanted to See My Tags...

deepwoods
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & DS Machine Newstyle Champion
Coal Size/Type: nut (so far)
Other Heating: Ruud propane forced air system

Post by deepwoods » Fri. Jan. 06, 2017 8:57 pm

Shopping for new homeowners ins. Called local broker and he showed up with ruler, camera and notepad. Wanted to see the certification tags on both the Hitzer and the DS Machine. Guess he liked the measurements due to the non combustible stone and cement they sit on. Snapped a few shots of each stove. Tried to explain how I use the MPD in conjunction with the manometers and bi-metal air flaps to run the stoves. I don't think he had any grasp of it by the look on his face :roll: Probably just turns the dial for his heat.
Said he will get back to me with a few quotes. Oh, almost forgot, it's 4* outside and 76* inside as I type this. Coal power!!!

RRBoy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 254
Coal Size/Type: Sometimes you feel like a nut.....

Post by RRBoy » Sat. Jan. 07, 2017 8:20 am

Homesite Insurance through GEICO is my most reasonably priced option. They raised me $97 a year for my 'alternative heating source' and that was that. No questions, no measurements, nothing. Percentage wise, that is a lot, but I'm paying $585 a year now which is still a deal. 1700 sf house 200k value.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sat. Jan. 07, 2017 9:07 am

Mine is through Liberty Mutual, they never asked any questions about the coal boiler, just noted it was there.

What seemed odd to me is that they required an exterior inspection of my rental house (on the same property), even though it is worth far less money than the main house. Must be for liability reasons?

ddahlgren
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post by ddahlgren » Sat. Jan. 07, 2017 12:03 pm

Try explaining to them you only want to insure the building and not the contents as all easily replaced. You don't need to insure the building lot as well as dirt does not burn or the cellar hole for that matter.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sat. Jan. 07, 2017 12:07 pm

ddahlgren wrote:Try explaining to them you only want to insure the building and not the contents as all easily replaced. You don't need to insure the building lot as well as dirt does not burn or the cellar hole for that matter.
I did.

I find it odd that some insurance companies get so freaked out over alternative heat, and others do not.

Also seems like they accept boilers a lot more readily than stoves.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Sat. Jan. 07, 2017 12:14 pm

Rob R. wrote:
ddahlgren wrote:Try explaining to them you only want to insure the building and not the contents as all easily replaced. You don't need to insure the building lot as well as dirt does not burn or the cellar hole for that matter.
I did.

I find it odd that some insurance companies get so freaked out over alternative heat, and others do not.

Also seems like they accept boilers a lot more readily than stoves.
I think that their industry-wide assumption is that boilers and furnaces are more likely to be installed by professionals. But stoves are more likely to be installed by bumbling home owners, or brother-in-law who has tools.

Here, hold my beer while I hook up the stove. :D

Paul

tcalo
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40
Coal Size/Type: Nut/stove anthracite

Post by tcalo » Sat. Jan. 07, 2017 1:54 pm

Picked up USAA in the Marine Corp. Best company I've ever dealt with, hands down. They weren't too concerned that I installed a coal stove, they just noted that I have one. Rates didn't go up either.

top top

Post by top top » Sat. Jan. 07, 2017 1:57 pm

You probably could purchase fire insurance for the building but it will likely cost as much as an HO1 policy, which not only covers more perils but also covers a lot more "stuff" such as personal liability, personal property, loss of use, etc. You can also under-insure your home, which triggers the "co-insurance" rule. Basically you need to insure at least 80% of current value. IF you insure for less than 80% any claims will be prorated. For instance you have a $200,000 home insured for $100,000 and you suffer a $30,000 loss from a covered peril. Since you only insured half the house they will only pay half the claim, or $15,000 minus any applicable deductible. For the price difference I would make sure the home is fully insured, check with your agent to verify that it is. Also on personal property, or Coverage C on the HO1 form, I strongly suggest anyone to consider Replacement in lieu of ACV for several reasons. And you may own some items that should be Scheduled, and pay an additional premium. Claims for scheduled items generally are all peril and have no deductible, nor do they apply to Coverage C limits. Obviously this is just general information, speak to your agent about your specific situation.

ddahlgren

Post by ddahlgren » Sat. Jan. 07, 2017 2:14 pm

top top wrote:
You probably could purchase fire insurance for the building but it will likely cost as much as an HO1 policy, which not only covers more perils but also covers a lot more "stuff" such as personal liability, personal property, loss of use, etc. You can also under-insure your home, which triggers the "co-insurance" rule. Basically you need to insure at least 80% of current value. IF you insure for less than 80% any claims will be prorated. For instance you have a $200,000 home insured for $100,000 and you suffer a $30,000 loss from a covered peril. Since you only insured half the house they will only pay half the claim, or $15,000 minus any applicable deductible. For the price difference I would make sure the home is fully insured, check with your agent to verify that it is. Also on personal property, or Coverage C on the HO1 form, I strongly suggest anyone to consider Replacement in lieu of ACV for several reasons. And you may own some items that should be Scheduled, and pay an additional premium. Claims for scheduled items generally are all peril and have no deductible, nor do they apply to Coverage C limits. Obviously this is just general information, speak to your agent about your specific situation.
My current INS company uses for an approximation the value from the town GIS site but that includes the lot that is worth more than the building and makes no sense then assumes rather lavish finishes inside that don't exist. My problem is if 20 years or more down the road I ever have a loss I will have bought the lavish features twice and no way to lose the dirt.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Sat. Jan. 07, 2017 2:25 pm

Same insurance agency for 17 years now. Every year at renewal time, along with my bill, my agent sends me a 2 page questionnaire for the HO insurance. It includes questions about any fireplaces and stoves.

I've never filled it out. I just send in my check and they send me a copy of my policy for the year. Just getting the check seems to work ok for them, too. :)

Paul

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Sat. Jan. 07, 2017 3:36 pm

Boilers and furnaces are considered "conventional" appliances by insurance companies. Stoves are considered as "supplemental" and therfore carry more "risk."

ddahlgren

Post by ddahlgren » Sat. Jan. 07, 2017 11:52 pm

Sunny Boy wrote:Same insurance agency for 17 years now. Every year at renewal time, along with my bill, my agent sends me a 2 page questionnaire for the HO insurance. It includes questions about any fireplaces and stoves.

I've never filled it out. I just send in my check and they send me a copy of my policy for the year. Just getting the check seems to work ok for them, too. :)

Paul
Once the agent gets the check and commission all is well.. LOL

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”