Stove Presents

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Mon. Jan. 02, 2017 4:48 pm

Santa brought me a couple "stove related" gifts this year.
This one, (the fireproof half oval rug in the foreground) was needed years ago when my Surdiac popped a couple stray glowing embers onto my hardwood, and scorched it, B4 I could pick them up
And if anyone remembers our discussions on humidifying the dryness in the house (caused by the heat being on, oil or coal), sometimes I'ld get a static shock equal to a 50,000 volt Mallory coil. Like when trying to open the load door of the stove, then"BAMMM!", zapped by a blue spark that almost rips the skin off my finger tips. (OK, so I'm exaggerating somewhat, but you get the jist?) The popular and proverbial tea kettle looked nice, but did nothing to solve this issue. But with the open pot, (as pictured above), it does seem to do a better job, since its inception. But of course, the boss thought she'ld do me one better, and got us this George Jetson looking device that her father uses, and says it works well. So here it is, a computer operated, multi adjustable, glo in the dark, room humidifier.
It also comes with a remote, for those of us too lazy to get off our dupa to push the control panel. (Just what I need, another tiny remote to be hunting for). Anyway, I've tried hiding this device behind and in a corner, so it can be heard, and not seen. We'll do an up-date on it's performance after it's proven itself.
So that's my Christmas story, 2016. Anyone else acquire some nifty little gadgets, (or stoves), for their Christmas?

joeq

Post by joeq » Tue. Jan. 03, 2017 6:29 am

Nothing, nowhere, no-one? :( Sorry to hear.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Tue. Jan. 03, 2017 7:11 am

So what exactly is that thing?

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Jan. 03, 2017 8:32 am

It's an electric BONG CS!! :clap: toothy

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Tue. Jan. 03, 2017 2:56 pm

freetown fred wrote:It's an electric BONG CS!! :clap: toothy
if it is, you better have a serious crew with ya. :lol: :lol: :lol:

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Tue. Jan. 03, 2017 3:16 pm

What's a computer you speak of?

joeq

Post by joeq » Tue. Jan. 03, 2017 4:28 pm

coaledsweat wrote:So what exactly is that thing?
Seriously CS? are you just looking at the pictures? OK, I'll explain. You see the lid on the top? Once opened, you put your coal ashes inside, and program it for the results you're seeking to achieve. If you want it to churn the ashes into maple syrup, you set it for that. But if sweetness isn't your forte', you can set it for popcorn. But they warn you, it'll take more than 500 watts to accomplish it. I myself, like the feature that makes the ashes turn right back into coal chunks, but it's having a hard time expelling the stove size through the tiny ports. But then again, being a "multi-purpose" machine, it doesn't really do anything well.
davidmcbeth3 wrote:What's a computer you speak of?
If you'll notice at the bottom of the machine Dave, it has a "digital" display, and with the remote, you can program it for not only all the above, but you can set time of functions, amount of steam, it'll warn you with a slap in the face, if the water level gets low, and more that I haven't even bothered to read. In it's defense, it does seem to be working OK. Haven't put water in it for a couple days, and it hasn't hit me yet. bop2

joeq

Post by joeq » Tue. Jan. 03, 2017 4:31 pm

freetown fred wrote:It's an electric BONG CS!! :clap: toothy
Fred, you must know me better than that by now. I wouldn't buy an "electric" one. I have tried Lehmans non electric catalog, for a similar sized one, but they said you bought the last one. :P

Logs
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby
Coal Size/Type: Nut anthracite
Other Heating: Fireplace and wood burner

Post by Logs » Tue. Jan. 03, 2017 4:56 pm

I got this cool coal shovel, it is made of cast iron. It's not new though. Picked it up at antique mall, gave 8 bucks for it. :)

Attachments

image.jpeg
.JPEG | 163.3KB | image.jpeg

joeq

Post by joeq » Tue. Jan. 03, 2017 5:10 pm

Sounds pretty rugged logs. Mine is tin, and I always feel it's gunna bend some day, as I'm using it as a lever to pry out the stove coal.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Tue. Jan. 03, 2017 5:12 pm

Nice find Dave.

If you ever get a stove with a deep firebox that shovel would really come in handy.

Paul

VigIIPeaBurner
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker Koker(down)
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Casting Vigilant II 2310
Other Heating: #2 Oil Furnace

Post by VigIIPeaBurner » Tue. Jan. 03, 2017 6:44 pm

Logs wrote:I got this cool coal shovel, it is made of cast iron. It's not new though. Picked it up at antique mall, gave 8 bucks for it. :)
Nice shovel. Looks like it's one piece, hammered from one piece. Does it have the word "Neverbreak" stamped into the middle of the spoon? It sure looks like the one I have that came with my Vermont Casting Defiant. Back in the 70's and maybe longer, Vermont Casting use to give one to each purchaser of a new stove.

Logs
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby
Coal Size/Type: Nut anthracite
Other Heating: Fireplace and wood burner

Post by Logs » Tue. Jan. 03, 2017 8:07 pm

I looked it over good and didn't see any names stamped on it. I bought it cause it was unusual, don't really have a need for it. As Paul said it would be good for a deep stove. I use a different shorter second hand shovel for the chubby. I had two of these but handle was cracked on one and finally broke. These were purchased at antique mall also. Built a little heavier than the ones they sell at TSC. :)

Attachments

image.jpeg
.JPEG | 216.1KB | image.jpeg

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”