Chubby Installation Costs

lowfog01
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Mark II & Mark I
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea

Post by lowfog01 » Wed. Dec. 21, 2016 7:21 am

Vonda wrote:No lehigh in Georgia yet. The rep told me if I can find someone or some company to sell it, he would ship it . I haven't a clue how to go about that.
Been there, done that before TSC started carrying coal. First you have to find a local store that agrees to carry coal and convince them it will be profitable for them to bring in X amount of bagged coal every year. The fact it can be stored outside and not take up covered storage space is a plus. When I tried I approached my independently owned ACE hardware.

He was willing to look into it so I provided him the names of several coal brokers but that's where it ended because there just wasn't a strong base of coal burners in Northern VA. He would have had to order a truck load and there just wasn't a demand for it; no profit.

I suspect you'd find the same situation. You will do fine with TSC coal and if not I know that Blasack you said was an hour a way will work for you. I burned that for 9 years. Lisa

Vonda
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby born 1980
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: Gas

Post by Vonda » Wed. Dec. 21, 2016 8:34 am

Buck ice and coal company, which is about 1.5 hours away sells bituminous . I'm going to call him to see if he would sell Lehigh . I hope the price is not too high. I could talk to my locate Ace as well. The problem is even if there are coal burners I don't know them so I can't let them know that Ace is selling coal so they can buy it. Currently, the only two of the TSC store in Georgia carry the nut coal. I did get the company yo change that because others were asking for it. If only I knew who those others were

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Wed. Dec. 21, 2016 9:46 am

One problem with TSC is if they don't sell an unknown amount of coal in a store, they drop that store and you cant even order it from them, at least thats the way it was done here and I was told I cant even special order it in those stores. You may be better off using the distant other dealer so that you don't lose them as a source unless your sure your TSC will carry it in the future. Im sure the stores that dropped it around me sold 3 or 4 pallets in a year.

TSC also seems to vary by region/state/county/store so what applies here and may not apply there. I'd make sure with them and hold them to it.

lowfog01

Post by lowfog01 » Wed. Dec. 21, 2016 10:13 am

Vonda wrote:Buck ice and coal company, which is about 1.5 hours away sells bituminous . I'm going to call him to see if he would sell Lehigh . I hope the price is not too high. I could talk to my locate Ace as well. The problem is even if there are coal burners I don't know them so I can't let them know that Ace is selling coal so they can buy it. Currently, the only two of the TSC store in Georgia carry the nut coal. I did get the company yo change that because others were asking for it. If only I knew who those others were
I'm just thinking out loud here - doesn't Craig's List have an item wanted listing? If so maybe you could use it to reach out to others interested in burning coal as a residential heat source. I don't know that I'd put my favorite email address down on that but still... ;) Maybe that TSC would let you put up a note card in the store with the Forum's web address on it. Then the Mayor (Richard) could make a GA page. I'll keep thinking. :) Lisa

lobsterman
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby, 1980 Fully restored by Larry Trainer
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Chubby Jr, early model with removable grates

Post by lobsterman » Fri. Dec. 23, 2016 9:08 am

warminmn wrote:One problem with TSC is if they don't sell an unknown amount of coal in a store, they drop that store and you cant even order it from them, at least thats the way it was done here and I was told I cant even special order it in those stores. You may be better off using the distant other dealer so that you don't lose them as a source unless your sure your TSC will carry it in the future. Im sure the stores that dropped it around me sold 3 or 4 pallets in a year.

TSC also seems to vary by region/state/county/store so what applies here and may not apply there. I'd make sure with them and hold them to it.
Yep my TSC did not carry it this season. The manager did not even seem to know if it was coming in later or not. Go figure.

Vonda

Post by Vonda » Fri. Dec. 23, 2016 10:31 am

If he is willing to order it contact TSC corporate and badger them . They give me some story about this is the first year they are carrying it so all stores didn't get it. Then they give me a story about not having space. I refuted all now they are suppose help the manager of the store get the coal. He wasn't able to order it for some reason.

Vonda

Post by Vonda » Fri. Dec. 23, 2016 10:35 am

I don't have a local person. Unfortunately, the guy 1.5 hours away carries BIT and won't commit to carry ANA from Lehigh because he would have to buy 24 tons. I wish their was a way to see how many people are from Georgia on this forum. I can't be the only one

lowfog01

Post by lowfog01 » Fri. Dec. 23, 2016 11:32 am

Still thinking out loud here - My husband belongs to a "meet up" group for riding his motorcycle. It's a website - https://www.meetup.com/. Someone plans and posts a ride and if you're interested you show up. Sometimes there are a lot of cyclists and sometimes just one or two. Suppose you started a meet up group for residential coal burners in the Atlanta area? You might get some response... or not. :) Lisa

Vonda

Post by Vonda » Fri. Dec. 23, 2016 2:48 pm

Good idea. I will start after the holidays

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”