Grate Jambronied, for the Second Time in as Many Days

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Fri. Dec. 16, 2016 4:44 pm

I agree with coaldsweat, no lube is going to fix that. It needs to stay dry. If you lube it flyash will stick to the lube turning your lube into grinding compound.

What caught my eye is how close that crank is to the bottom of the stove when it goes through its ark. Are you sure that is not getting jammed against the bottom of the stove when it heats up? Or a piece of coal stuck under it?

-Don

dumper
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Baker Fireside Insert
Coal Size/Type: Chesnut
Other Heating: Oil

Post by dumper » Fri. Dec. 16, 2016 5:35 pm

yes, I've had it jam there before and typically that mound is not there, I shovel it out when I change pans and when I shake it it starts out clean. that's I've of the reasons I got another pan. in this case the rod was completely frozen in the bushing, still not sure why that happened. if I had my way the grates would shake independent of each other and the mech would be above the pan, pan would be bigger...etc, yea I dive my wife crazy and I can't leave anything alone

KLook
Other Heating: Wishing it was cold enough for coal here....not really

Post by KLook » Fri. Dec. 16, 2016 9:39 pm

etc, yea I dive my wife crazy and I can't leave anything alone
You are in the right place then....lots of us here.

Kevin

CoalisCoolxWarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: old Sears rebuilt, bituminous- offline as of winter 2014
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Buckwheat
Other Heating: Oil Boiler

Post by CoalisCoolxWarm » Sat. Dec. 17, 2016 12:30 pm

If it seems to be jammed up, use a couple of short and quick back and forth handle movements to jiggle it loose. It also helps shake the loose stuff free and out of the pivoting points.

If you force it, you'll break it.

Our old hand fired Sears was like that. It is going to the garage sometime in the near future.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”