Changing Stoves Again

corey
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Buck Stove Hybrid
Coal Size/Type: Eastern KY bituminous

Post by corey » Sat. Jan. 07, 2017 10:35 am

Hey guys would be a good idea to switch back over to wood was burning wood yesterday I've got plenty?

May be better choice in this Wonderluxe?

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Sat. Jan. 07, 2017 10:44 am

If you've got the wood and you don't mind tending the stove more often, go for it. It's heat.

However, I think you'll be fine with the coal, just don't over do it with the MPD. It'll take time to learn how much is enough, or too much, for your set up, which is unique because of so many factors.

A manometer will shorten that MPD adjusting learning time very quickly !!!!!

The mano will instantly let you know if you've closed the MPD too much, and/or, if wind gusts are momentarily stalling/reversing the draft ? I strongly suggest getting one hooked up as soon as possible. In the meantime crack the MPD open a little more than it was when the monitor blinked, just to be safe.

When you have the mano installed, you'll be surprised at how little you need to open the MPD to get the draft much stronger. ;)

Paul

corey

Post by corey » Sat. Jan. 07, 2017 10:55 am

Sunny Boy wrote:If you've got the wood and you don't mind tending the stove more often, go for it. It's heat.

However, I think you'll be fine with the coal, just don't over do it with the MPD. It'll take time to learn how much is enough, or too much, for your set up, which is unique because of so many factors.

The mano will instantly let you know if you've closed the MPD too much, and/or, if wind gusts are momentarily stalling/reversing the draft ? I strongly suggest getting one hooked up as soon as possible. In the meantime crack the MPD open a little more than it was when the monitor blinked, just to be safe.

When you have the mano installed, you'll be surprised at how little you need to open the MPD to get the draft much stronger. ;)

Paul
I ordered the manometer the link you sent.

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Sat. Jan. 07, 2017 11:18 am

corey wrote:
Sunny Boy wrote:If you've got the wood and you don't mind tending the stove more often, go for it. It's heat.

Paul
I ordered the manometer the link you sent.
Very good.

In the meantime, have you looked through this thread on manometers ? There's some very good info in it. ;)

Paul

corey

Post by corey » Sat. Jan. 07, 2017 11:30 am

Very good.

In the meantime, have you looked through this thread on manometers ? There's some very good info in it. ;)

Paul[/quote]
I've glanced over it. Good news amazon says it will be here on same day as the Ashley is coming.

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Sat. Jan. 07, 2017 11:57 am

When you get it all hooked up, don't hesitate to ask questions about what the mano readings mean. There's like a gazillion guys on here that use the same model Dwyer mano. Plus, it's been used on just about every model of coal stove you can think of.

Seems that many guys with hand-fed stoves report best results when they getting a reading of .02 to .04. That should be a good starting range for you until you've had time to experiment with what are the best damper settings that give you the heat output you want.

And remember,.... without pictures, it didn't happen ! :D

Paul

corey

Post by corey » Sun. Jan. 08, 2017 9:50 am

Well it's in single digits Wonderluxe is still going got electric baseboards on helping it. Been running 300 to 500 I'm glad the ashley is a bit bigger. But I'm not really trying to push this particular stove I am unsure about it so I been going slow and steady. :)

corey

Post by corey » Mon. Jan. 09, 2017 9:08 am

About time to start shutting the wonderluxe down. The temperature outside is forecast to rise starting today. Looks like a southerly flow so it bout time to start cleaning it out.

Ashley is a go for day after tomorrow.

CoalisCoolxWarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: old Sears rebuilt, bituminous- offline as of winter 2014
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Buckwheat
Other Heating: Oil Boiler

Post by CoalisCoolxWarm » Mon. Jan. 09, 2017 9:22 am

It's going to take another day or so here to warm up.

We're so thankful for our coal boiler. The cold and damp these days can be debilitating.

corey

Post by corey » Mon. Jan. 09, 2017 10:00 am

CoalisCoolxWarm wrote:It's going to take another day or so here to warm up.

We're so thankful for our coal boiler. The cold and damp these days can be debilitating.
I switched to wood this morning forecast is 35 today by Wednesday 53.

Guys I am grateful you all helped me get by during this bitter cold spell thank you all.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”