Chubby Cruising Speed

lobsterman
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby, 1980 Fully restored by Larry Trainer
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Chubby Jr, early model with removable grates

Post by lobsterman » Thu. Nov. 24, 2016 9:55 pm

I love it that the Chubby with its air open a sliver, MPD closed, and a full load of coal always settles into its sweet spot at around 350 degrees. And stays there. Got to love the Chubby.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Thu. Nov. 24, 2016 11:37 pm

That is why coal is such a beautiful fuel. With the same draft and primary/secondary air settings you get the same predictable heat output. Every time. Love it.

lobsterman
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby, 1980 Fully restored by Larry Trainer
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Chubby Jr, early model with removable grates

Post by lobsterman » Fri. Nov. 25, 2016 8:33 am

Agreed, what I just described is a characteristic of coal, not the stove. But the simplicity of the Chubby still amazes me. Having a great draft in my windy location, the steady state of my MPD is always fully closed. The secondary air is closed. This means it is a 1-lever stove for heat adjustment. The primary air consists of a total of 4 square inches. Close it up and you can hold the fire for a very long time, 16-24 hours. Open it up and the stove will hit 800-900 degrees; won't burn the house down but way too hot for steady operation. About 1/8 open is my "sweet spot" for steady running, increased perhaps to 1/4 open for extremely cold days.
Last edited by lobsterman on Fri. Nov. 25, 2016 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Fri. Nov. 25, 2016 8:51 am

At some point in the future when I have a Stoker unit in the basement, I'd like to have a small stove in the living room. A chubby is a fair contender for that position. :)

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”