Very Excited About Our Coal Stove - Thanks King Coal!

lowfog01
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Mark II & Mark I
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea

Post by lowfog01 » Sun. Mar. 12, 2017 5:07 pm

You could probably reduce the distance of the stove to combustibles by constructing a simple heat shield between the wall and the stove, sort of like the one in my profile pictures. It depends on your county code.

Ours is made of 1 inch cement board covered with tin ceiling tiles. The cement board is held from the wall by 2 inch metal nipples, creating a space through which the heat is dispersed. Notice the shield doesn't go all the way to the floor. The existence of the heat shield allows us to place the stove closer to the wall. 18 inches to be exact.

Going the heat shield route maybe easier then moving the stove. Take care, Lisa

hunterseat
Hand Fed Coal Stove: LEDA K6-14 Verdin
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite (I've been told)
Other Heating: Electric

Post by hunterseat » Sun. Mar. 12, 2017 9:26 pm

i want to say 18" is required. we're just short of that. I think there are pictures somewhere in this thread. Cement board with tile. It's the distance that bugs me.

Juewls
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Leda

Post by Juewls » Fri. Mar. 24, 2017 10:42 pm

I have this exact stove and have learned how to get it going and running pretty efficiently over the last 10 years (I inherited the stove from my parents.) The best tool I found for getting out the ash and clinkers is the bent end poker - without it I honestly don't think I could keep it going!!! I am happy to answer any questions you might have.... I have also mastered lighting it with no tears or swearing.... I empty the ash pan at night or first thing in the a.m. - shake and clear (adding coal of course) a few times a day - but have found I can leave it on low for 14+ hours and have it be just fine when I get back. I use pea or nut - whatever I have available and will typically use 3/4 to full 40# bag a day. I'm in CT too btw. :)

Attachments

image.jpeg
.JPEG | 104.6KB | image.jpeg

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”