Got Some New Radiators

blrman07

Post by blrman07 » Sat. Sep. 17, 2016 5:47 pm

I found five radiators on Craigslist for what is our area a decent price. $70 each. They are all 5 different size but the designs are almost identical. Best of all, Momma likes em so that makes them GOLDEN no matter what. I am taking out the baseboard rads and putting two of these guys in the dining room. The one 10 section is going at the west window and the 6 section is going at the north window.

These guys are HEAVY. The seller told me they were European so I checked the internet and he was probably right. They have National cast into the lower boss on each radiator. National Radiator was a US company until they sold out to a UK firm long before I was born. Doesn't make any difference, Momma likes em and that's all I need.

Two to go downstairs in the dining room and the little guy that is the size of the laundry basket is going in the laundry room off the kitchen that never had heat. Now it will and Momma will stop complaining that she doesn't like to go out there because it's always too cold.

I had to cut the brass pipe out of the radiator as the valve was bad and I'm going straight pipe anyway controlled by a thermostat and zone valve. I can always base load it by manually opening the zone valve for gravity feed which I do anyway with the bathroom zone and the kitchen zone before it gets stupid cold. I had to get the old broken off piece out of the air valve location and ran a pipe tape to clean up the threads.

They are ready to take out the baseboard radiators and pipe them puppies up~~~~

Attachments

0917161720.jpg
.JPG | 67.7KB | 0917161720.jpg
0917161723.jpg
.JPG | 58.9KB | 0917161723.jpg
0917161724.jpg
.JPG | 81.5KB | 0917161724.jpg

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sat. Sep. 17, 2016 5:52 pm

Very nice! Are you going to paint them?

How do you plan to pipe them?

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Sat. Sep. 17, 2016 8:24 pm

WOW!!! THEY LOOK GREAT!

70 bucks each, no refinishing needed, that is a steal Larry.

NICE!

-Don

P.S. You need to take some better pictures of those.

blrman07

Post by blrman07 » Sun. Sep. 18, 2016 6:51 am

All I had available was my cell phone. I have a camera but I can't find the transfer cord to get the pictures from the camera to the computer. :mad:

I am going to pipe them up in series just like the baseboard radiators were. I am going to strip the fins off the baseboards I already pulled out and use the copper pipe from them. It's a little thinner than regular copper pipe but hey.....I already own it. ;)

Reuse, Repurpose, Restore

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sun. Sep. 18, 2016 6:55 am

Piping them in series is not how I would do it, but in a small house with only a few radiators you will probaby make it work alright. Some radiators will get warm long before others.

stovepipemike

Post by stovepipemike » Sun. Sep. 18, 2016 7:03 am

Rev, Do you have a rough idea how many sq feet of radiation you have there ?? and how that compares to your boiler rating? It will be interesting to know how you rate the comfort level compared to baseboard when it is all said and done. I could not make the meet and greet either, same reason as yours. Watch the backbone when you are moving those iron sweeties around. Mike

ddahlgren
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post by ddahlgren » Sun. Oct. 02, 2016 11:09 am

Have not been here in ages and just have to say something on this post. They have to be on a 2 pipe system unless each is on it's own separate loop. If all on the same loop in series you can't balance them as what you do to one affects all as it affects the flow in the loop. The small tapping on the top usually 1/8 pipe has to have a bleed valve installed and readily available for a few bucks at a plumbing shop rather than big box store.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”