Modifying an Old Hitzer 50-93

John27elec
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93, DS Anthramax Stove, Harman TLC2000
Coal Size/Type: Reading Pea Coal, Reading Nut
Other Heating: Electric Baseboard

Post by John27elec » Fri. May. 20, 2016 10:44 pm

Hey Guys, I got an old Hitzer 50-93 given to me and I was thinking of maybe modifying it. The hopper in this one is not removable, the grates and bricks are in great shape. I was thinking of cutting out the old hopper and making one that was removable. Possibly adding some secondary burn tubes in the top, to possibly make it an efficient wood burner as well.

I know these Hitzer 50-93 work well since I have a fairly new one in my house, just curious if anyone has done any modifying to one?

John

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sat. May. 21, 2016 5:55 am

Hi John, I do not remember reading about anyone doing modifications like you have described. I think most folks are pretty happy with the way Hitzer puts 'em together.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sat. May. 21, 2016 6:59 am

Indeed we are, but I know J loves to tinker! :) Let's get some pix goin on the process !!

oliver power
Stoker Coal Boiler: KEYSTOKER Kaa-2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-2310), D.S. 1600 Circulator, Hitzer 254

Post by oliver power » Sat. May. 21, 2016 1:00 pm

The only modification I can think of would be specifically for wood burning. Cut a 1-1/2 inch hole high in the right hand side of fire box. Make a tear drop shaped slide plate for adjusting the air input. weld, or bolt a channel on the inside, going down to within 3 or 4 inches from the grate for down draft. Now you'll have down draft air supply for wood fire. Can also act as secondary air for coal fire. Just a little air while burning coal would keep the channel cooled.

John27elec
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93, DS Anthramax Stove, Harman TLC2000
Coal Size/Type: Reading Pea Coal, Reading Nut
Other Heating: Electric Baseboard

Post by John27elec » Sat. May. 21, 2016 5:00 pm

Yes Fred I do like to tinker sometimes well quite often.... and Rob yes those 50-93 burn like a charm I love mine had a 30-95 before this one and love that one too. Just decided to get a new one and was a good time to go bigger.

Oliver Power: thanks for the suggestion I think I might do that, first thing is getting old hopper cut out of it. Then going to have to figure out out to make it removable, figured I will sorta copy the way they built my new one. I would like to test out the idea on down draft for wood and then possibly install that in my new one in the house so I could burn a little wood clean if I want.

Jon

oliver power
Stoker Coal Boiler: KEYSTOKER Kaa-2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-2310), D.S. 1600 Circulator, Hitzer 254

Post by oliver power » Sat. May. 21, 2016 7:19 pm

John27elec wrote:Yes Fred I do like to tinker sometimes well quite often.... and Rob yes those 50-93 burn like a charm I love mine had a 30-95 before this one and love that one too. Just decided to get a new one and was a good time to go bigger.

Oliver Power: thanks for the suggestion I think I might do that, first thing is getting old hopper cut out of it. Then going to have to figure out out to make it removable, figured I will sorta copy the way they built my new one. I would like to test out the idea on down draft for wood and then possibly install that in my new one in the house so I could burn a little wood clean if I want.

Jon
Down Draft for combustion air works great for wood fire.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”