Mark II Upper Door Secondary Air

hamiltow

Post by hamiltow » Mon. Apr. 14, 2008 5:00 pm

I was replacing all the seals on the Mark II I bought. I was going to replace the glass seal as well. When taking it apart, I noticed that there is a gap between the door, and the outter casting that holds the glass in place. I know the secondary air is supposed to pass through there, but I put a straight edge on the bottom of the door itself, and it is not straight. I have about 3/32 inch gap in the center between the door and the cast piece because of this warping. It is pretty tight at the ends.

Do I need a new door? I hope not $$$ !

Could some Mark owner out there take a peek at the bottom of their door and tell me what the gap is? If its uniform?

I would expect if to be fairly close and even all the way across.

Thanks.

Bill.

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Tue. Apr. 15, 2008 7:01 am

I'll check my Mark I and let you know. The door is not as wide as the Mark II so there may be less of a chance for a gap.

Steve.N
Location: Crown Point, NY East side of the state about 130 miles above Albany

Post by Steve.N » Tue. Apr. 15, 2008 8:09 am

I looked at my MKII this morning and my door is relativly flat. I don't think a slight bow there would be a problem though because as you mentioned, thats where Harman gets the over fire air. The window in my stove, one heating season old, has become loose in the gaskets and I will have to replace them before next season. I don't like the uncontroled addition of air over the fire and have been considering fully gasketing the window in and adding some vents on the side like the TLC 2000 has. My concern about doing this is that the air at the bottom of the window might be to cool the glass as it is close to the coal bed. The SF 250 has the adjustable vents and a fixed window but the window is a lot smaller and farther fron the fire. The TLC 2000 has the large window though and doesn't seem to have any problems. Opinions would be appreciated before I dig out the mag drill.

Steve

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”