Wood Ontop of Coal

Modern and vintage hand fired coal stove are similar to a wood stove and in some cases can burn either. They need to be regulated and fed by hand usually every 12 to 24 hours depending on your usage. They require no power to operate making them ideal for rural settings with long power outages.
japar
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hearthmate
Stove/Furnace Make: Hearthmate
Stove/Furnace Model: combo

Post Tue. Mar. 25, 2008 9:16 pm

I am running low on coal and been putting some good size logs ontop of the burning coal. I give the top a little bit of air and the log get burning realy good. You can get some intense heat and you can control the burn with the air really well. Has anyone else tried this.

watkinsdr
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S260 Boiler

Post Tue. Mar. 25, 2008 9:38 pm

My Dad in NEPA mixes coal and wood in his Harman MKII all the time. Works great. Watch out for over firing your stove though---the wood/coal mixture will create intense heat, enough to crack your stove if not careful. :shock:
AHS S260 "BEAST" Burning Lehigh Pea Anthracite
Kensington, NH

onehotxfirefighter
Stove/Furnace Make: Dunsley Yorkshire
Stove/Furnace Model: Yorkshire

Post Wed. Mar. 26, 2008 3:05 pm

I do the same thing here.If your wood isn't just seasoned correctly the coal will burn it nicely

Visit Hitzer Stoves

grizzly2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 30 - 95
Coal Size/Type: pea and nut/ anthracite
Other Heating: Jotul #3 wood stove in garage. Oil backup in house. Electric backup in house.

Post Wed. Mar. 26, 2008 9:05 pm

With the installation of my new coal stove, I have moved the Jotul 3 (small) woodstove out to the garage. At the end of a work day heating with wood, I plan to try throwing some coal on the wood and see if it will hold a fire until the next morning so I can then throw some wood on top of that. It would be nice just to have enough coals left on the grate each morning to get wood going without starting all over from scratch. Do you all think this will work? :idea:
The only redeeming value of winter is that I can have a fire in my stove.

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post Wed. Mar. 26, 2008 9:53 pm

Hi Grizzly, it may work if your stove feeds air from under the fire, and you put on enough coal... It is unlikely that you can get just a handfull of coal to burn, so plan on putting 6" or so of coal on top of the wood coals.

Greg L
Burning Pea/Buckwheat through an antique stoker [semi retired SSboiler],
Running an Axeman-Anderson 260M boiler burning Pea, About 150-250#per day
Farming, Fixing, Fabricating and Flying: 'spare time' what's that?

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”