Secondary Air Idea for Top Vented Coal Stoves

crashncowgirl

Post by crashncowgirl » Tue. Nov. 24, 2015 7:26 am

I was thinking the other day [ which is alarming to my family ] on how to introduce secondary burn into my CFS to enhance the wood burning since I have enough down timber on my place to burn wood for the next several years . What I came up with, without mutilating a great coal stove, is to run an iron pipe through the barometric damper and screw it onto a pre made system consisting of a connecting pipe to a setup of piping to direct the air to 3/4 iron gas grill burners with a steel plate resting on top for heat reflection this would supply air to the top of the firebox to create an air system like those in 'modern' wood stoves. I had thought of bringing pipe up through the banking plate holes. I remove the banking plate when I burn wood. I think that way the air supply would be too limited. I don't think this will happen because I'm going to replace the CFS [ it's not for sale ] with a hitzer 82. I need the extra hearing in the colder months. We have around 1200sq ft/floor[3 floors and basement], high ceilings and stone walls. I've seen a few for Zsale and they are all being sold for the same reason. Too large for the house a smaller stove is replacing it. If the 82 doesn't work out [ or my family complains about the lack of a window enough ] I'll put it back in. I digress I had thought of using an H burner but was concerned about air flow from it. To do this the stove baffle would need to be removed. Also two regular 'oval' burners may work and I was afraid the holes in the stainless tube burners may be too small. Just throwing this out as I know it's a topic that is often thought about

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Tue. Nov. 24, 2015 8:35 am

Take a look at the 100 year old "hot blast" type stoves as they had air coming in from the top of the stove, which is similar. I don't think you'd have to make it very complicated to work, just a single pipe will help. Its the size of the pipe im not sure of.

crashncowgirl

Post by crashncowgirl » Tue. Nov. 24, 2015 7:07 pm

Thanks that should be a quick way to see if it would work at all

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”