U.S. Stove 30a

Oak9665

Post by Oak9665 » Wed. Nov. 18, 2015 8:09 pm

Looking for opinions and reviews for us stove 30a looking to replace my current wood only burner with a hand fired coal unit would like to hear about stove quality before purchasing new stove.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Wed. Nov. 18, 2015 8:19 pm

O, go to top right of page--search box--type stove in & check out prior posts. Personally, for the money US stoves leave much to be desired--they are combo fuel burners & I've found the rarely work well with either wood or coal. Just an old farmers thoughts. For the $$$ you can do much better. PLUS--GOOGLE it & check out reviews.

Ky Speedracer
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Florence HotBlast NO.68 & Potbelly
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: HotBlast 1557M
Coal Size/Type: Ky Lump & Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil

Post by Ky Speedracer » Thu. Nov. 19, 2015 8:19 am

There are plenty of bad reviews/opinions here regarding the U.S. Stoves. AND, if your plan is to burn anthracite coal, I think you should probably consider other options. There are people here that burn anthracite in similar stoves successfully and a couple folks who have published extensive and detailed instructions that will improve the ability for it to burn anthracite coal. With a little bit of mechanical ability these modifications are relatively easy to make.
Not familiar with the 30a model. I use a 1557m model. You can pick these up new in the $1100 to $1400 price range. This is my second year burning in it. I burn bit coal. It burns bit coal and wood with no issues. The biggest issues that I see and hear regarding this type stove burning these fuels is related to "over-firing". A barometric damper in the flue pipe and an 8" flue pipe is a must in my opinion with these stoves. My stove has a huge firebox. It is easy to load it with a lot of fuel and over-fire it. The baro damper helps to keep that from happening.
The "over-firing" causes the stove to warp, grates to warp and dampers & gaskets to burn out.
When burning correctly my stove is a heating machine. I have had no issues at all with it.
I have picked up some anthracite coal this year from TSC to see how it performs in my stove. I can see that this is challengeing. Not impossible but certainly a big learning curve for sure.
As I said, if you are going to burn anthracite I would probably look for another option.
If you're burning bit, for the money, I have had good luck with mine.

ddahlgren
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post by ddahlgren » Thu. Nov. 19, 2015 12:28 pm

There are so many good used stoves out there if in coal country that can easily do a better job than this. Craigslist the for sale section here watch newspapers etc. Ebay usually has everything over priced but always worth a look now and then. If you burn off a couple weeks looking for something better and less money TSC will still have one or can get one as can a couple other big box stores.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”