Up & Running

UncleDoDat
Hand Fed Coal Stove: King-O-Heat
Baseburners & Antiques: Herald #6
Coal Size/Type: Nut & Stove Size
Other Heating: Natural Gas

Post by UncleDoDat » Sat. Nov. 07, 2015 11:06 pm

She's not pretty compared to Mr Herald, but here she is all read to go. It was 74 degrees here in Delaware yesterday, but I could not resist lighting a fire. Wifey understood my need to burn.

Attachments

IMG_20151105_103748.jpg
.JPG | 100.7KB | IMG_20151105_103748.jpg
IMG_20151105_103802.jpg
.JPG | 73.3KB | IMG_20151105_103802.jpg
IMG_20151105_103817.jpg
.JPG | 92.1KB | IMG_20151105_103817.jpg
IMG_20151105_103817.jpg
.JPG | 92.1KB | IMG_20151105_103817.jpg

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Sun. Nov. 08, 2015 6:34 am

Nice.

At the risk of upsetting the wife, might I suggest removing those curtains. They are well within the heat danger range and not shielded.

Maybe replace them with fire proof curtains, instead ?

Paul

michaelanthony
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Gold Marc Independence
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: 'nut
Other Heating: Fujitsu mini split, FHA oil furnace

Post by michaelanthony » Sun. Nov. 08, 2015 7:19 am

As Paul said, all is good except the curtain. Proud of yah' UDD, 2 yrs, 2 stoves ;)
...by the way it looks great!

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sun. Nov. 08, 2015 7:45 am

Nice install UDD. I'm thinkin with all that shroud on the stove those curtains will be just fine. Just keep an eye on them.

SWPaDon
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1600M
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous
Other Heating: Oil furnace

Post by SWPaDon » Sun. Nov. 08, 2015 7:50 am

Looks good, UDD. Happy heating to ya.

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Sun. Nov. 08, 2015 7:59 am

freetown fred wrote:Nice install UDD. I'm thinkin with all that shroud on the stove those curtains will be just fine. Just keep an eye on them.
I was thinking the same. It's a double walled stove, and that cuts clearances in half. But then I'm not an expert on the code.

blrman07

Post by blrman07 » Sun. Nov. 08, 2015 8:49 am

I just installed one of those stoves in the basement of a house in Ashland Pa.!!! Thanks to the great folks on this forum through the Stove and Heat Ministry another family is able to supplement their heat using a free stove, free installation, and free parts.

I got three texts last night that the stove was working great.

One note..l...They said when it first lit off the sheet metal sides were cool and only got warm. After running for about three hours the side casing got hot enough to burn a hand. You may want to rethink those curtains or put a heat shield right on the side of the stove. That should give enough air flow to be safe.

Other than that enjoy the heat. The King O Heat wouldn't win any beauty contests but once all that cast iron gets hot, it's a heat monster. :D

michaelanthony
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Gold Marc Independence
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: 'nut
Other Heating: Fujitsu mini split, FHA oil furnace

Post by michaelanthony » Sun. Nov. 08, 2015 8:55 am

privacy glass like in a bathroom and get rid of the curtains ;)

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Sun. Nov. 08, 2015 9:01 am

At a minimum, the constant heat that close will discolor the curtains in a matter of a few months.

With many materials, as they break down with long-term exposure to heat, the temperature at which they will ignite becomes lower. With wood and natural fibers like cotton (cellulose), it can be lowered by as much as 50%, or more.

Better safe than sorry ! ;)

Paul

ddahlgren
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post by ddahlgren » Sun. Nov. 08, 2015 9:53 am

Personally I am not a fan of the install for a couple of reasons. First it seems hard to believe it will meet NFPA code. The heat shield does not look like it has a 1 inch gap off the wall for air to circulate. I can easily see in the last picture there is zero protection for window or curtains. The picture labeled 67686 shows a 3/4 view and clearly see The pad on the floor is painfully too short protecting the floor. Code is somewhere around 16-18 inches in front in case something very hot comes out to land on a combustible floor.

No matter what if ever a loss ins. co. will fight paying or low balling a settlement I get that. If does not meet code and never inspected they have a lot on their side. Most important the safety of you and family. Coal stoves run while sleeping 24/7 at lot can be going wrong before the alarm goes off.

Not trying to flame anyone just saying what I see and after being in burning buildings as a volunteer fireman it is a buy more frightening and confusing than you might imagine. No matter how much you train for it changes some but still chaos and scary when you are never sure where you are and if everyone is ok. Even a small problem gets big if they need to get the hoses out to put it out as 10k gallons of high pressure water does serious damage quick.

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Sun. Nov. 08, 2015 10:02 am

The spacers look like metal ?They should be porcelain fence insulators.Since this is not the only heat stove in use ,you may not see high temps on the stoves outer skin.Enjoy your coal heating systems. :) :clap: :up:

lowfog01
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Mark II & Mark I
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea

Post by lowfog01 » Sun. Nov. 08, 2015 1:28 pm

blrman07 wrote:I just installed one of those stoves in the basement of a house in Ashland Pa.!!! Thanks to the great folks on this forum through the Stove and Heat Ministry another family is able to supplement their heat using a free stove, free installation, and free parts.
Hi Larry, please send me a snail mail address so I can donate some coal to the Stove and Heat Ministry. Thanks, Lisa

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sun. Nov. 08, 2015 1:47 pm

WH, I've got a couple friends that used metal spacers with outstanding results & their stoves are not shrouded.
windyhill4.2 wrote:The spacers look like metal ?They should be porcelain fence insulators.Since this is not the only heat stove in use ,you may not see high temps on the stoves outer skin.Enjoy your coal heating systems. :) :clap: :up:

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Sun. Nov. 08, 2015 2:56 pm

freetown fred wrote:WH, I've got a couple friends that used metal spacers with outstanding results & their stoves are not shrouded.
windyhill4.2 wrote:The spacers look like metal ?They should be porcelain fence insulators.Since this is not the only heat stove in use ,you may not see high temps on the stoves outer skin.Enjoy your coal heating systems. :) :clap: :up:
PVC couplers, paint if you like. done.

UncleDoDat
Hand Fed Coal Stove: King-O-Heat
Baseburners & Antiques: Herald #6
Coal Size/Type: Nut & Stove Size
Other Heating: Natural Gas

Post by UncleDoDat » Fri. Nov. 13, 2015 1:45 am

ddahlgren wrote:Personally I am not a fan of the install for a couple of reasons. First it seems hard to believe it will meet NFPA code. The heat shield does not look like it has a 1 inch gap off the wall for air to circulate. I can easily see in the last picture there is zero protection for window or curtains. The picture labeled 67686 shows a 3/4 view and clearly see The pad on the floor is painfully too short protecting the floor. Code is somewhere around 16-18 inches in front in case something very hot comes out to land on a combustible floor.

No matter what if ever a loss ins. co. will fight paying or low balling a settlement I get that. If does not meet code and never inspected they have a lot on their side. Most important the safety of you and family. Coal stoves run while sleeping 24/7 at lot can be going wrong before the alarm goes off.

Not trying to flame anyone just saying what I see and after being in burning buildings as a volunteer fireman it is a buy more frightening and confusing than you might imagine. No matter how much you train for it changes some but still chaos and scary when you are never sure where you are and if everyone is ok. Even a small problem gets big if they need to get the hoses out to put it out as 10k gallons of high pressure water does serious damage quick.

I am not impressed with the install myself. I carefully measured, cut and placed heat shields and floorboards. Just for the installation guys to come in and say my Stove had to be turned in order to miss the beam directly above in the roof. Which has compromised a lot of space from the floorboard. However I can assure you that there is a one inch gap between the wall and the heat shield. I even lifted the heat shield up an inch as suggested The spacers are metal I did not think about porcelain. But after running the stove for a few days now I believe there are no safety issues other than user error.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”