Chubby Questions

ASea
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Kast Console II
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Coal Chubby
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114, Glenwood 30 "Estate" Warm Morning 120
Coal Size/Type: Sherman Anthracite Nut/Stove from C&T Coal
Other Heating: Peerless Boiler with Cast Iron Baseboards

Post by ASea » Sat. Nov. 07, 2015 9:23 pm

I am in the process of restoring a Chubby Blower model I picked up. I was wondering does the ash ring make a big difference? Also is their a huge difference between the square and the round ash pan? Right now I have the square ash pan. Once I get the gasket kit installed I just have to run the Stove Pipe up the chimney insulate it and I should be ready to go.

Does anyone out there have a fireplace install should I be concerned about the wood over the brick above the stove? I am sure I will have many more questions once I start the stove. Any info anyone else can come up with is welcome.

ONEDOLLAR
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 2014 Chubby Prototype
Coal Size/Type: Nut/Anthracite

Post by ONEDOLLAR » Sat. Nov. 07, 2015 9:44 pm

Asea

The ash ring is a good investment I think. I do not worry a bit about the mantel above my Chubby. The wood can get warm but doesn't get "hot".

My experience says that the round pan is better at catching ash. Now what I have found that works for me is to leave around a 1/2 inch to and inch of ash in the bottom of the stove after clean out. I say this as last year I stopped using the ash pan altogether. To me it made clean out time much easier. Of course never allow ash to block the grate, pan or no pan. Might be something you want to try..

michaelanthony
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Gold Marc Independence
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: 'nut
Other Heating: Fujitsu mini split, FHA oil furnace

Post by michaelanthony » Sat. Nov. 07, 2015 9:46 pm

I can't answer questions about the Chubby but I have a Vigilant coal stove in my living room firepace. The stove is approx 14 inches from the wood and it does get warm but not hot. I don't know how hot you need to run your stove but I am thinking of installing a narrow metal shield with 1 inch spacers along of the perimeter of my mantel for peace of mind.

tcalo
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40
Coal Size/Type: Nut/stove anthracite

Post by tcalo » Sat. Nov. 07, 2015 10:31 pm

ASea wrote:I was wondering does the ash ring make a big difference?
There was an older thread pertaining to Chubby grates. Here is the link: Post by tcalo - Chubby Fire Grate Question..

I responded in that thread about the fire pot ring, here is what I wrote:

I ran my stove with and without the ring, it's a double edge sword. With the ring installed there is more ash buildup around the outside of the grate, however the ring keeps most of the ash in the ash pan. Without the ring there is a large amount of ash that falls outside of the ash pan creating more of a mess, the plus side is there is better air flow around the outside edges of the grate so the stove gets less ash bound. It's trial and error, whatever works best for you!

ASea
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Kast Console II
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Coal Chubby
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114, Glenwood 30 "Estate" Warm Morning 120
Coal Size/Type: Sherman Anthracite Nut/Stove from C&T Coal
Other Heating: Peerless Boiler with Cast Iron Baseboards

Post by ASea » Mon. Nov. 16, 2015 10:34 pm

How many burns does it take to cure the stove and get it to stop smoking? My Wife is becoming impatient

Logs
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby
Coal Size/Type: Nut anthracite
Other Heating: Fireplace and wood burner

Post by Logs » Mon. Nov. 16, 2015 11:09 pm

There was an older thread pertaining to Chubby grates. Here is the link: Post by tcalo - Chubby Fire Grate Question..
I didn't see that thread , I also have that problem of ash build up around the edge. I usually poke from the top and Really floss it good from the bottom. I would think one hot fire would get rid of paint smell. I got a wood fire going in mine outside to burn off paint smell before I hooked it up inside

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Mon. Nov. 16, 2015 11:12 pm

You will get most of it burnt the first time if you slowly heat it up and get it hot. If you put new pipes up too, you will smell them a little when you get your stove hot in the near future. Dont run it very hot tonight or you may find yourself up and opening windows.

Stove bright paint curing is a little different and if you used that, read the directions. That will be done smelling quicker I think.

Your wife will have the smell of more money with what you save to help her forget the curing smell :)

ONEDOLLAR
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 2014 Chubby Prototype
Coal Size/Type: Nut/Anthracite

Post by ONEDOLLAR » Tue. Nov. 17, 2015 8:27 am

Logs

Poking from the top can be problematic and result in compaction of the coal bed so if you do poke from the top please don't act like Norman Bates from Psycho. :D

"Flossing" is more art than science and often just some "pokes" after shaking is all you might need depending on the level of heat you require. The common misconception Larry and I see is that some think you have the clear all the ash when shaking and this simply is not true. This results is wasted coal and potential grate problems. Not to mention it can be harder to control the fire if you clear to much ash.

Coal quality and fines play the biggest role with ash and this can vary not only from brand to brand but from bag to bag with the same brand as well. This seems to have become even more problematic in the past few years.

http://chubbystove.com/gallery2.htm The grate ring is a product that you might consider. I have burned with it and without it and really helps funnel more ash into the pan.

As always feel free to contact either Larry or myself at anytime with any questions. We are happy to help!

Logs
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby
Coal Size/Type: Nut anthracite
Other Heating: Fireplace and wood burner

Post by Logs » Tue. Nov. 17, 2015 10:27 am

Mark
Thanks for the advise, I haven't had that problem with the ash as much as last year. I think it was from the fines in the bagged coal. I haven't had the problem as much with the Lehigh bulk. The Kimmels I got last year, didnt have many fines compared to the Blashak andReading. I like the Kimmels better when it is really cold as it seems more volatile and catches faster. It is also good for getting a weak fire going again. Of all the brands I have tried , I like the Lehigh best. And that's a good thing cause I got a triaxle load . Thanks again for your input.
Dave

tcalo

Post by tcalo » Wed. Nov. 25, 2015 9:56 pm

So much for my grate ring. I went to shake down my stove this morning and found this sticking out from the glowing bed of coals! There seems to be a piece still buried in my stove somewhere, I'll find it in the spring... :lol:

Attachments

image.jpeg
.JPEG | 194.8KB | image.jpeg

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Wed. Nov. 25, 2015 11:11 pm

Jesus H.Christ !..You gotta stop using a jackhammer to shake that Chubby down,Mate !!

tcalo

Post by tcalo » Thu. Nov. 26, 2015 12:34 am

I've been on a streak of bad luck with this stove for quite some time now! Hopefully my luck turns around soon... ;)

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Thu. Nov. 26, 2015 12:50 am

It will ! Smooth and Steady,That Chubby will take care of You! :up:

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”