DS Machine Anthramax Hand Fed Coal Stove Review

grobinson2
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy, and EFM 520 round door
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Coalbrookdale Darby, Harman Mark III, Stratford SC100, DutchWest 288 (With Coal Insert), Coalbrookdale Severn, Hitzer 50/93, Hitzer 354 Double Door, FrancoBelge La Normandie, DS Machine Anthramax
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Buck, Pea, Nut, and Stove
Other Heating: Vermont Castings Defiant 1975 FlexBurn, Fisher Grandpa Bear, Vermont Castings DutchWest 224, Vermont Castings Defiant 1945, Ravelli RV-100 Classic, Progress Hybrid, Glenwood Wood Chip Boiler

Post by grobinson2 » Mon. Oct. 05, 2015 2:14 am

(The short and sweet ongoing evaluation -- A VERY VERY well built coal stove that has some great features and is much more aesthetically pleasing then some of the other options out there. I would find it very hard to believe that anyone that purchases the stove would be disappointed with there purchase assuming they area already aware of some of the associated work that goes along with operating a free standing hand fed coal stove. DS Machine has implemented some excellent ideas to improve a coal burning device that has seen very little innovation in the last 25 years. If you are looking for a hand fed coal stove you should at least take a hard look at this latest DS offering.)

Good evening Guys,
Last week I picked up a new DS Machine Anthramax coal stove from there manufacturing and retail store facility in Gordonville, PA. I should start off by saying that if you read back through my posts over the years I am very much a coal stove/wood stove nut who loves to drive my wife CRAZY by installing and then removing several stoves a year from our living/dining room. Anytime a new stove comes along or I find an old stove that uses what I would consider unique technology I take out the old and bring in the new. This process involves pallet jacks and the tractor and a whole host of other items required to move heavy items when you don't have any available help for heavy lifting. As you can see in the pictures below I have started to use 3/4" PVC pipe as a very effective mover of heavy items once they arrive on the hearth. I was first intrigued by this new DS Stove when I heard that they are using secondary heated air to burn off the coals volatile gases before allowing them to go up the chimney and thus being able to extract some extra heat from the coal. This process also helped with reducing if not eliminating puff backs when a new load of coal was added to the already hot/running stove. The only thing about the stove that I was not overly excited about (this would be an understatement) was the removable hopper. I hate this style of hopper fed stove, and I do truly mean "hate". Hitzer also uses this type of hopper in there 50-93 coal stove and so does the Alaska Kodiak hand fed stove. I have owned both in the past and while both were great stoves the hopper was awful! So, please take this into account when I bash anything about the stove that has to do with the hopper. Please note that I am not against hopper fed coal stoves, just the kind that use this type of hopper system. I think the hopper system utilized on the FrancoBelge coal units was an excellent design and one that should be improved and copied by perhaps modern manufactures like DS Machine. This however is not yet the case and so while removable I am going to at least try this hopper out until I can ether not take it any more or it begins to grow on me (The second part is just not going to happen).

Why do I so detest this style of hopper stove? I see hopper fed coal stoves as a fix for stupidity. Kind of like a mechanical self leveling loader on a tractor. It was brought to the market because some human or user of that equipment was perceived to be so horribly inept that the manufacture felt instead of educating the user on how to better use the device they already had in the way it was already made they should instead engineer something that would allow the user to just continue being an ignorant moron but achieve better and more improved results thus allowing both to feel better about them selves. :) With the self leveling loader if the person was able to master the art of feathering the hydraulics they would not need all that extra crap hanging off or over the control arms of there loader. In the stoves case, if the person would just take the time to properly learn how to load there coal stove they would find that they are actually able to load more coal into the stove when the hopper is removed then when the hopper is present. There is less dust and mess and it sure as heck is a lot quieter to load! However so to avoid the retort that I may have used hopper fed stoves in the past but this one is different, tonight I loaded up my new coal stove for its first coal fire. Please note that for the last two previous evenings I have burned small wood fires to cure the paint. I first put in one full 25 pound coal bucket of nut and stove sized coal into the stove with shovel. When empty the stove looked like I had hardly put in a handful let alone the whole bucket. So I loaded two more same size buckets into the stove. I know many of you use wood to get your coal fire started but I like filling the bottom of the stove with coal and then adding a good sized handful of match light charcoal to the middle and filling in around it with more coal. This forces the air to come through the grates just where the charcoal is located and effectively turns it into what looks like a blast furnace. Within 5 minutes the coal around the charcoal is lit and on its way to heating your home. After approximately 10 minutes or so I closed the ash pan door and allowed the coal to catch by using the all the way open bi metal thermostat. I want to make a quick note that DS's bi metal thermostat and flapper is light years better then the competition that uses a galvanized lightweight metal flap. The DS flap is heavy cast iron and closes at a steep angle thus preventing a LARGE induction of fresh oxygen to the fire bed. On the cheaper designs used by other manufactures the flap is held with a magnet and when the bi metal thermostat starts to open the flap it pulls and pulls until the flap brakes free from the malignant and fly's open hitting the fire with a large burst of fresh oxygen and at times causing a puff back. Obviously with the DS design this is reduced significantly if not eliminated.

Once the coal started to really catch I filled the hopper. Instead of just adding my coal to the fire as I would in a stove without a hopper I got to dump the coal clinking and braking all the way down the hopper chute onto the coal bed below. Instead of being able to nicely pack each piece of coal into the back of the firebox and really get the coal bed banked up in the back my shovel was blocked by a steel hopper forcing its way once again into the forefront of stove operation. Once full the stove held exactly 95 pounds of nut/stove sized coal. All coal was weighed using a digital scale and the bucket weight was subtracted each time. Has you can see in the pictures below while the hopper no doubt does hold some additional coal had it not been there I could have put in much more coal from the front to the back of the stove. However once again I am going to try this hopper thing. Once the hopper door was closed the fire took off rather quickly. The stove design does allow some excellent air draft to be pulled though the fire bed and up and out of the stove. I did not run into any smoke or smell coming out of the hopper when I had the loading door open during the filling process. It is not like a Vermont Castings Defiant/Encore where you can open the top loading door and not have any smoke come out into the room but it was well designed all the same. As you can see in the pictures on ether side of the hopper are the secondary air vents that allow preheated air to mix with the smoke/volatile gasses before they pass up to your chimney and thus burn them up before they escape. As I said before this not only makes the stove burn much cleaner but it also allows the unit to take what would normally be lost BTU's of energy and heat your desired area. With most of the stoves I have tried in the past I would usually have a strong "coal" gas smell outside when starting the stove. With this Anthramax even after running up and down the road I did not get even a hint of that tell tale smell. (Encase you are wondering it was a nice clear crisp evening with no wind) The internal air ducts appeared to do there job and burned up most of what was about to travel up and out the chimney. Once the hopper was full I set the bi metal at the desired setting and went on about my evening.

So far so good and while the wife and kids are away for the weekend the dog (my first born daughter) seems to be very happy with the new stove. I will have to see about this hopper but I have a feeling it will find its self removed from the stove and in its place a baffle plate that does not interfere with the loading or viewing of my nice new coal stove. :)

Some items of note:
The stove has a hidden cook top surface that does get VERY hot even when burning a small wood fire. There is no doubt in my mind you could easily cook on this thing, say during a power outage.

The stove comes VERY VERY VERY well packaged. In fact I have never had to brake out the wrecking bar and hammer to brake apart stove packaging before. This really is an underestimated plus as other stove manufactures out there do the bare minimum and it shows when you try and get it home and installed and you have chips and scratches in the paint.

The stove is VERY heavy. I do not have the exact weight in front of me but fully assembled it is a ball buster and should probably come with a free hernia operation gift card. (This may drive the price of the stove up slightly)

The CNC machines Anthramax plate just behind the main loading door looks very neat with the coal flames behind it. It is also my understanding that they can custom make these plates with your name or logo which would be a nice touch.

The ash pan covers the ENTIRE space under the shaker grates! That's right, no more ash on one or the other sides of your ash pan that you then are forced to shovel out of the stove and back into the ash pan. Whats the point of having a sealed coal stove so the ash cant escape out into your living area during a shake down when you have to shovel out the ash into a dusty mess after a few days of use. Why other coal stove manufactures have not come to this conclusion prior to now, eludes me. (FrancoBelge did actually do this but I cant think of any others.) Although a well built ash pan in my opinion it is a bit on the heavy side and I could see some of the older coal burners having a maybe a bit of a hard time moving it around. One thing they very much need to fix ASAP is cut the darn back off of the thing so it works like a dust pan scoop. This make it MUCH easier to empty and stops a lot of the fly ash when you dump the pan.

The heat shields really do an amazing job of keeping the heat off of surrounding objects and yet allowing the heat to escape off of the stove and out into the living area. As many of you know that have children and grandchildren if you have flimsy heat shields on the side of a stove it is just a matter of time until one of the little dwarfs decides to use there new Louisville Slugger take home bat from the baseball game on your new stove. Once a dent is in the heat shield it is almost impossible to get out. The way these are constructed and installed the wee little people are really going to have to put some ass behind that swing to make a dent this time. Also with a one year old toddering around it is nice to know that if she gets around the barricade the entire stove (that she can touch anyway) is not going to burn her except maybe the front glass.

The shaker grate design is the same that they use for there other stoves on the market. They are a well built grate that looks similar to a Harman Mark II/III grate. I am looking forward to trying pea coal on them as it is sometimes cheaper then nut/stove and is MUCH easier to move around.

The air wash does a nice job even when burning wood. I did notice that at a lower burn it did not keep the glass clean but this is the case with almost every other stove on the market today or yesterday for that matter. A huge plus is that the air wash and secondary combustion is completely adjustable and controllable by the end user. This is a GREAT feature that gives you the user much more control of how your stove is going to burn.

I am sure I will add more to this review as times and use of the stove goes on. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have and I would be more then happy to take additional pictures if you so desire. Overall I am very pleased so far with the stove (less the hopper) and am very much looking forward to burning it this winter.

Thanks again,
Glenn

Attachments

IMAG0755.jpg
.JPG | 112.6KB | IMAG0755.jpg
IMAG0759.jpg
.JPG | 135.4KB | IMAG0759.jpg
IMAG0760.jpg
.JPG | 102.7KB | IMAG0760.jpg
IMAG0768.jpg
.JPG | 327.9KB | IMAG0768.jpg
IMAG0812.jpg
.JPG | 92.5KB | IMAG0812.jpg
IMAG0816.jpg
.JPG | 104KB | IMAG0816.jpg
IMAG0831.jpg
.JPG | 96.9KB | IMAG0831.jpg
IMAG0836.jpg
.JPG | 59.7KB | IMAG0836.jpg
IMAG0855.jpg
.JPG | 71.7KB | IMAG0855.jpg
IMAG0837.jpg
.JPG | 81KB | IMAG0837.jpg
IMAG0838.jpg
.JPG | 59.3KB | IMAG0838.jpg
IMAG0839.jpg
.JPG | 76.9KB | IMAG0839.jpg
IMAG0844.jpg
.JPG | 89.8KB | IMAG0844.jpg
IMAG0849.jpg
.JPG | 73.6KB | IMAG0849.jpg
IMAG0857.jpg
.JPG | 32.2KB | IMAG0857.jpg

coalfan
Hand Fed Coal Stove: ds circultor1500 \chubby coal stove
Coal Size/Type: nut/ pea ant.some bit.
Other Heating: kerosene\cold nat. gas

Post by coalfan » Mon. Oct. 05, 2015 3:02 am

lmao hah yah I was beat but any way very ,very good job on this post and infornative and good pics.you done well ! enjoy as it looks that you are :D

ddahlgren
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post by ddahlgren » Mon. Oct. 05, 2015 3:22 am

Sounds like a keeper! Maybe slow down the stove swapping LOL Last winter was my first and got too much practice lighting the stove and if a 7 match club I would like to apply for membership. With luck maybe the 3 match club this year. The base of coal on the grates as mentioned worked real well for me with a hot kindling fire then sprinkle coal on the kindling fire and seemed to catch from both top and bottom at the same time.

Has anyone ever looked at draft regulators and check dampers that send heated room air up the chimney to get a lower draft. Just thinking out loud as burned coal to heat the air and room then send some of it out the chimney.

A side note a new grandfather with a 5 month old grand daughter but gives me a wake up call too at 63 and knowing the average life span of males in my family 73 to 76 the is 10 or 12 years left and not going to see her graduate from high school let alone college. Already bought a fishing pole for her and think first shotgun should be her great grand fathers single shot Winchester 37 20 ga. LOL. Her mom and dad are in charge of pretty dresses and dance class. They both cringe when I mention taking her fishing shooting or coal and woodstove 101. I know a coal burning forum but here and thinking of my mortality at 3 am and can't find sleep.

grobinson2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Coalbrookdale Darby, Harman Mark III, Stratford SC100, DutchWest 288 (With Coal Insert), Coalbrookdale Severn, Hitzer 50/93, Hitzer 354 Double Door, FrancoBelge La Normandie, DS Machine Anthramax
Other Heating: Vermont Castings Defiant 1975 FlexBurn, Fisher Grandpa Bear, Vermont Castings DutchWest 224, Vermont Castings Defiant 1945, Ravelli RV-100 Classic, Progress Hybrid, Glenwood Wood Chip Boiler

Post by grobinson2 » Mon. Oct. 05, 2015 3:29 am

Thanks guys! Sounds like someone needs to get up and go play with there coal stove. My house is 95 F at the moment with the windows open. :) Now, really... I am off to bed.

Thanks again,
Glenn

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Mon. Oct. 05, 2015 9:27 am

NICE , nice stove, nice write-up,nice setting,nice pics,nice fire view,nice hopper.. :P toothy You have a very interesting perspective on the hopper issue, one that I am intrigued by & plan to follow closely. You are planning to keep updating this thread on a regular basis !!.......... aren't you ? And to think that I was feeling deprived by owning a stove without a hopper. Have you done threads on previously tested stoves ? I would like to see a thread on the Alaska Kodiak hand fed stove by someone, someday. Thanks for sharing. :D

deepwoods
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & DS Machine Newstyle Champion
Coal Size/Type: nut (so far)
Other Heating: Ruud propane forced air system

Post by deepwoods » Mon. Oct. 05, 2015 1:50 pm

Congrats on the new DS. Sounds like it's a step in the right direction for efficient coal combustion considering the new age attitude on building a proper coal stove. In my basement, cruising along is a DS Machine New Style Champion made back in the mid-80's. It is a pure radiant stove and is capable of monster heat when asked to do so. It has one big issue that I cannot correct in that it sends useable heat up the chimney :mad: As with any firebox with corners it collects ash and unburnt coal in the corners which can only be cleaned by a good poking session. I have found poking from below works best. The stove is very controllable (on a MPD) which is a plus. My stove also is hopper fed and I have no problems with it. The exit location of the hopper has a lot to do with how the fresh coal is spread over the burning fire. My firebox is 16" square and the hopper delivers coal dead center on the grates. With hopper loaded and fire burning at 400 deg. the stove has gone a full 20 hrs without tending with plenty of fire remaining and the hopper near empty. I have a basement coal bunker and before loading the hopper I wet the coal lightly which results in zero dust. If dust control is a factor oiled coal can be bought from some distributors at extra cost of course.
Keep us updated as you fine tune your new stove. It will be interesting :D

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Mon. Oct. 05, 2015 2:11 pm

Sweet looking stove there! DS Machine seems to be improving across the board.

Steve3

Post by Steve3 » Mon. Oct. 05, 2015 8:33 pm

Many thanks for sharing ! And thanks for the great pictures.

Please keep us posted as things progress..

bob15
Other Heating: Currently: England wood stove NC-13

Post by bob15 » Mon. Oct. 05, 2015 8:47 pm

Good luck with the stove. Very nice write up!

My Anthramax 15 came last week (I found I like the DSM over the Hitzer, just seems better built). Bought it from Jremington on this site and was shipped directly from DSM to my job for easier delivery and pick-up for me. Just not looking forward to job of bringing it into the house. I think it weighs about 590 pounds. I might leave the top cover over the hopper door off. I like the simple look of no tin on the top.

oliver power
Stoker Coal Boiler: KEYSTOKER Kaa-2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-2310), D.S. 1600 Circulator, Hitzer 254

Post by oliver power » Mon. Oct. 05, 2015 9:44 pm

From what I've read on the ANTHRAMAX, it looks to me like D.S. put there best foot forward for this stove. They did there home work, and bundled many modern stove features/technology into this ONE stove. This could jump them ahead of the competition. It's the "No Fan" circulation I question. Is it good enough, or is a fan better? I was going to write a review on the ANTHAMAX once I get over to see one in person. Which is going to be any day now. Looks like you beat me to it. It's good to see another member testing this stove out. If I like what I see, I may purchase one for next year, just to play with. Now grobinson2, You don't sound too fond of hoppers. I've run a coal stove without a hopper, and the same stove after purchasing the optional hopper. I'd take the hopper any day over no hopper. Open the hopper door, dump in a pail of coal, and done. The hopper pre-heats the coal. No raking, no banking, no mess. All the way around; it's easier, and faster. The hopper also creates a longer path for gasses to travel. I find the hopper stoves do have longer burn capabilities, as mentioned by manufacturers. What is NOT to like about a hopper. Why do you hate hoppers so much ? :)

grobinson2

Post by grobinson2 » Tue. Oct. 06, 2015 11:28 am

Good morning/Almost Afternoon Guys,
First off thank you for the nice comments regarding my review and pictures. For some reason I am having a hard time editing the post as I would like to add information. One really nice feature about this stove that I have received a PM about is the fact that they listened to customers and put all of the controls on one side of the stove. What I mean by that is the bi-metal thermostat, door handles and shaker handle are all on the left side of the stove. No more reach around a hot or even just cool but open door to reach the shaker handle when cleaning the stove out (After a shut down)... It is just very nice! Of course I am right handed so perhaps a left handed user may want the handles on the other side but for me anyway it is very nice.

I thought the calculator tubes were kind of a gimmick at first but wow do they put out the heat and air flow. Is it like a blower fan? No, not even close, but you also don't have the noisy fan and electric being used to run it. I may be wrong but I think they said you can put a fan on these units but they do not come standard that way.

As far as the hopper goes... I know I am VERY much in the minority of people that don't like hoppers or I should specify I do not like this style of hopper. I will know in the next few days if I can get more coal in the stove by not using the hopper but I suspect just like in the case of my old Hitzer 50-93 I will be able to get more coal in the stove unit by banking it then by using the hopper. Of course if I am wrong I will post that as well, so we shall see. :) As far as why I do not like this style of hopper I do not like it because unless the coal is oiled or wet you get WAY more dust (At least using nut or stove sized coal) then you do if you just use the coal bucket with a coal shovel. As I said above in the past I have always been able to put more coal into a stove with the hopper removed then with the hopper (One exception to this may be with the use of pea coal as it does not stay put like nut or stove sized coal will when banking). I do not like how the hopper obstructs my view of the coal fire. I do not like how noisy it is when dumping it the coal now matter how careful I am and slow I go. Instead of the hopper being in there a plate can be put in its place to still force the coal gasses up and around the baffle so you are not loosing anything as far as efficiency goes. I do not like the exterior hopper door on the stop of my stove and instead would like a nice clean top (Although that could be fixed by using a recessed plug like FrancoBelge). The hopper also blocks the back corners of the stove so when you are trying to clean out ash buildup in the back it is right in your way cock blocking your poker :) I think that's about it. HAHA :)

I would agree that DS Machine has spent some considerable time and probably money designing this stove and they have done in my opinion a very good job. Are there some things that could be changed, sure and the best part is that they are very open to making changes that would allow the unit to better serve the end user.

Lets see what else... Oh, how dare you agree with the wife on slowing down on stove swapping! How can you even call your self a coal burner and be on this forum and even allow your brain to entertain such thoughts let alone publish them. Tsk, Tsk... Her eyes shall never lay sight on your words. :)

Oh yes... I did not add any coal because I want to see how long this thing will hold a fire on low setting but I did shake it down last night. Even the wife said how quite it was. The Hitzer and Coalbrookdale Darby are by far the nosiest coal stoves for shake down that I have used, followed my Harman Mark series. This stove did a nice job and all that is in the ash pan is a nice ground up fine ash but the grates were very very quite. They did a nice job of locking the linkage together from the shaker handle to the grates and so while it moves freely there is VERY little play between the two. I might add that none of the ash made it around the sides of the pan. They did a great job of making sure the pan is larger then the greats as I think I mentioned in my original post but now after one shake I am able to verify that all the ash goes into the pan and not around it.

I think that is about all for an update.

Thanks again,
Glenn

Steve3

Post by Steve3 » Tue. Oct. 06, 2015 12:54 pm

Glenn -

Many thanks for the hopper explanation.

I am new to coal and have not yet purchased a stove so this thread is great. Can you please explain your preferred method for adding coal and maintaining a fire. Pictures of banking, etc would be much appreciated.

windyhill4.2

Post by windyhill4.2 » Tue. Oct. 06, 2015 3:11 pm

I am finding this thread to be very interesting,so tell your wife that "someone has to do it", surely not all of us can swap stoves so often & it is good for others to read these real world comparisons of various stoves. Noisy shake down.... that is a pet peeve of mine,my Crane 404 grate shaking will usually send our cats out of the room,sounds like I am tearing the stove apart. :roll: Much of the time I just poke & slice from below & can get good results that way.Some day I would like to update to a bigger stove... but which one ?? I am watching,listening :) Thanks for doing this stove comparison. :D

oliver power
Stoker Coal Boiler: KEYSTOKER Kaa-2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-2310), D.S. 1600 Circulator, Hitzer 254

Post by oliver power » Tue. Oct. 06, 2015 7:40 pm

grobinson2 wrote:Good morning/Almost Afternoon Guys,
First off thank you for the nice comments regarding my review and pictures. For some reason I am having a hard time editing the post as I would like to add information. One really nice feature about this stove that I have received a PM about is the fact that they listened to customers and put all of the controls on one side of the stove. What I mean by that is the bi-metal thermostat, door handles and shaker handle are all on the left side of the stove. No more reach around a hot or even just cool but open door to reach the shaker handle when cleaning the stove out (After a shut down)... It is just very nice! Of course I am right handed so perhaps a left handed user may want the handles on the other side but for me anyway it is very nice.

I thought the calculator tubes were kind of a gimmick at first but wow do they put out the heat and air flow. Is it like a blower fan? No, not even close, but you also don't have the noisy fan and electric being used to run it. I may be wrong but I think they said you can put a fan on these units but they do not come standard that way.

As far as the hopper goes... I know I am VERY much in the minority of people that don't like hoppers or I should specify I do not like this style of hopper. I will know in the next few days if I can get more coal in the stove by not using the hopper but I suspect just like in the case of my old Hitzer 50-93 I will be able to get more coal in the stove unit by banking it then by using the hopper. Of course if I am wrong I will post that as well, so we shall see. :) As far as why I do not like this style of hopper I do not like it because unless the coal is oiled or wet you get WAY more dust (At least using nut or stove sized coal) then you do if you just use the coal bucket with a coal shovel. As I said above in the past I have always been able to put more coal into a stove with the hopper removed then with the hopper (One exception to this may be with the use of pea coal as it does not stay put like nut or stove sized coal will when banking). I do not like how the hopper obstructs my view of the coal fire. I do not like how noisy it is when dumping it the coal now matter how careful I am and slow I go. Instead of the hopper being in there a plate can be put in its place to still force the coal gasses up and around the baffle so you are not loosing anything as far as efficiency goes. I do not like the exterior hopper door on the stop of my stove and instead would like a nice clean top (Although that could be fixed by using a recessed plug like FrancoBelge). The hopper also blocks the back corners of the stove so when you are trying to clean out ash buildup in the back it is right in your way cock blocking your poker :) I think that's about it. HAHA :)

I would agree that DS Machine has spent some considerable time and probably money designing this stove and they have done in my opinion a very good job. Are there some things that could be changed, sure and the best part is that they are very open to making changes that would allow the unit to better serve the end user.

Lets see what else... Oh, how dare you agree with the wife on slowing down on stove swapping! How can you even call your self a coal burner and be on this forum and even allow your brain to entertain such thoughts let alone publish them. Tsk, Tsk... Her eyes shall never lay sight on your words. :)

Oh yes... I did not add any coal because I want to see how long this thing will hold a fire on low setting but I did shake it down last night. Even the wife said how quite it was. The Hitzer and Coalbrookdale Darby are by far the nosiest coal stoves for shake down that I have used, followed my Harman Mark series. This stove did a nice job and all that is in the ash pan is a nice ground up fine ash but the grates were very very quite. They did a nice job of locking the linkage together from the shaker handle to the grates and so while it moves freely there is VERY little play between the two. I might add that none of the ash made it around the sides of the pan. They did a great job of making sure the pan is larger then the greats as I think I mentioned in my original post but now after one shake I am able to verify that all the ash goes into the pan and not around it.

I think that is about all for an update.

Thanks again,
Glenn
Hi Glenn, I'm curious to know why you consider a hopper fed stove more dirty/dusty. I never had any dust from filling my HITZER hoppers. The same goes for the VIGILANT I use to have. The rule is; one door open to a time. If I have my hopper door open, any dust is drawn into the stove, not belching out. That is; unless you have another door open. One would have more of a chance getting dust flying around from shoveling coal in the front door. One shovel, two shovels, three shovels, etc.. With a hopper, one simply dumps in a pail of coal. Any dust follows behind. You aren't trying to shovel coal in the hopper door, are you? If so, Then I can see why you feel it's more dirty. One needs to dump coal into the hopper, not shovel it in. May I also mention; Nice review of the ANTHRAMAX you have here...... Keep us updated, please.

windyhill4.2

Post by windyhill4.2 » Tue. Oct. 06, 2015 7:51 pm

Of course there are those who in later yrs of life will have difficulty lifting & dumping a bucket at the height most stove tops are vs lifting a shovel full of coal from bucket to front door loading.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”