G111 Fire Ring

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Tue. Sep. 22, 2015 8:07 pm

It seems there is more than 1 (McGeiver and Merc300) person that is interested in recasting or receiving a recast fire-ring for this stove. I have Dirks contact # at Tomahawk, and guess due to popular demand, I will attempt again to get more info about this. Are there any other members or persons that may be interested in getting in on this? If the price wasn't too bad, I might as well do the grate and draw center too. I'll give this thread a few days before following up on it.
G111 fire-ring 002.JPG
.JPG | 77.5KB | G111 fire-ring 002.JPG

michaelanthony
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Gold Marc Independence
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: 'nut
Other Heating: Fujitsu mini split, FHA oil furnace

Post by michaelanthony » Tue. Sep. 22, 2015 8:30 pm

Nice thread joeq, I need some info from you. I may be interested in a gas ring as the Home Sparkle has none, but I need a measurement. Could you run a straight edge across the 2 notches in the gas ring and measure from that plane to the furthest point north of the inside radius...thanks.

p.s. I have recast grates coming from Auburn Foundry in Maine. I should be holding them soon, I will let you know the details.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Tue. Sep. 22, 2015 9:58 pm

Joe,

Just a helpful hint. You might get a better price if you use the owner's correct name. :D

He's name is not "Dirk". ........ it's, "Al Dirkes". ;)

Paul

joeq

Post by joeq » Tue. Sep. 22, 2015 11:07 pm

[quote="michaelanthony" Could you run a straight edge across the 2 notches in the gas ring and measure from that plane to the furthest point north of the inside radius...thanks.
[/quote]

Not really sure where you're coming from Mike, but I did take some dims for you. Those clearance slots are about 1/2" wide, and 1 1/2" deep. (From the inside diameter to the radius in the slot. Total OD is 14 1/2 (+/_ 1/8"), and the ID is about 11 3/8". The opening in the front is about 9". But this whole thing is irregular in shape, and has angles, offsets, and tapers to it, that I think wouldn't be very easily adaptable to a strange setting. But I could be wrong. Hope this helps.

joeq

Post by joeq » Tue. Sep. 22, 2015 11:13 pm

Sunny Boy wrote:Joe,
Just a helpful hint. You might get a better price if you use the owner's correct name. :D
Paul
Thanx for the tip Paul, but I was generalizing. I have his Email name and address on record, from a previous response, and will use it when I try to reconnect. So I'm assuming you've done lots of business with him. Would you happen to know what their turn time is?
At the rate I'm going with this stove, it's seeming like this winter will be a wash anyway. Hopefully oil will continue to plunge.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Wed. Sep. 23, 2015 2:36 am

I'm in. :)

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Wed. Sep. 23, 2015 8:18 am

joeq wrote:
Sunny Boy wrote:Joe,
Paul
Thanx for the tip Paul, but I was generalizing. I have his Email name and address on record, from a previous response, and will use it when I try to reconnect. So I'm assuming you've done lots of business with him. Would you happen to know what their turn time is?
At the rate I'm going with this stove, it's seeming like this winter will be a wash anyway. Hopefully oil will continue to plunge.
Joe,
In less than three weeks from when I sent the patterns off by USPS Flat-Rate box (priority mail), the recast parts and my patterns were back at my Post Office.

Tomahawk has a reputation for quick turn around.

Paul

michaelanthony
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Gold Marc Independence
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: 'nut
Other Heating: Fujitsu mini split, FHA oil furnace

Post by michaelanthony » Wed. Sep. 23, 2015 8:52 am

joeq wrote:Not really sure where you're coming from Mike, but I did take some dims for you. Those clearance slots are about 1/2" wide, and 1 1/2" deep. (From the inside diameter to the radius in the slot. Total OD is 14 1/2 (+/_ 1/8"), and the ID is about 11 3/8". The opening in the front is about 9". But this whole thing is irregular in shape, and has angles, offsets, and tapers to it, that I think wouldn't be very easily adaptable to a strange setting. But I could be wrong. Hope this helps.
I'm curious if the 2 threaded rods in your stove that keep the stove together are in the same location as my Home Sparkle. I have a 12" diameter fire pot, if the 2 openings, (clearance slots), for the threaded rods are to fit my stove I would want a fire ring...I could load 'er up with out worry of large pieces of coal falling between the walls of the interior. I like the look also.

Merc300d
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood 6 base heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Too many
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: Oil base board

Post by Merc300d » Wed. Sep. 23, 2015 9:31 am

Joe ... Maybe we could do what what Dj organized for the Glenwood 6 mag. We could get a count and order them and have tomahawk ship to each member. Either way I'd take care of you like I said. Either way. Thanks again for looking into this.

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Wed. Sep. 23, 2015 12:02 pm

I need one for the No. 113.
I don't know if the size for the 111 can be fudged a little to fit in the bigger stove. It would be nice to find out.

joeq

Post by joeq » Wed. Sep. 23, 2015 4:42 pm

Merc300d wrote:Joe ... Maybe we could do what what Dj organized for the Glenwood 6 mag. We could get a count and order them and have tomahawk ship to each member. Either way I'd take care of you like I said. Either way. Thanks again for looking into this.
That's a good idea Kevin. Don't need to be double shipping those things. We'll have to coordinate this a little better, when I get a response from Tomahawk.
And Paul, thanx for the info on their turn-times. I was figuring months. Weeks would be great.

joeq

Post by joeq » Wed. Sep. 23, 2015 4:45 pm

wsherrick wrote:I need one for the No. 113.
I don't know if the size for the 111 can be fudged a little to fit in the bigger stove. It would be nice to find out.
Hi William. If you want, I'll take some better detailed pics of this piece, for you and Mike, with some closer dimensions, and maybe you'll be able to get a better indication. Like I mentioned above, this ring is peculiar in shape.

joeq

Post by joeq » Wed. Sep. 23, 2015 6:12 pm

Alright men, here's some more pics. Figured it'ld be easier to put the numbers where they go, rather than trying to 'splain it. as I mentioned above, and hopefully you'll see it, the pot appears to be offset towards the frt of the stove. How much? Not sure, hard to tell W/O being assembled. Also, it appears to have a decreasing radius(?) along it's circumference, but once again, is hard to tell W/O a radius gauge, and the frt open, or cut-out. also notice the view of it in my hand.
The frt where it's open, is more straight, (up and down), but as it heads towards the rear, it angles more from top to bottom. Hopefully you'll understand when you view it. Let me know if you need more dims.
Oh, and one last thing, the dimension of the slot, is looking straight down, which is less than when measuring it from end to end. Would be more pertinent, at assy.
G111 firering 003.JPG
.JPG | 124.9KB | G111 firering 003.JPG
G111 firering 004.JPG
.JPG | 85.7KB | G111 firering 004.JPG
G111 firering 005.JPG
.JPG | 108.7KB | G111 firering 005.JPG
G111 firering 006.JPG
.JPG | 98.7KB | G111 firering 006.JPG
G111 firering 007.JPG
.JPG | 103.4KB | G111 firering 007.JPG

joeq

Post by joeq » Fri. Sep. 25, 2015 8:30 pm

Not sure if everyone's in the Bahamas or what, but it's only looking like 3 of us so far.
William, have you seen if your 113 has an offset pot? I believe that's the only way this ring will work. I'll wait till Sunday eve. B4 I send for a request and quote to Tomahawk.

scalabro
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40, PP Stewart No. 14, Abendroth Bros "Record 40"
Coal Size/Type: Stove / Anthracite.
Other Heating: Oil fired, forced hot air.

Post by scalabro » Fri. Sep. 25, 2015 9:25 pm

Kinda like getting a group coal buy together .... Hahahahaha :D

On a serious note :lol: ... a 113 has a barrel almost the diameter of a 55 gal drum :shock:

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”