Is This a Safe Way to Run a Handfired Coal Stove?

lime4x4

Post by lime4x4 » Mon. Nov. 21, 2005 6:05 pm

I have a efel wood/coal stove. I want to burn coal in it.The air intake is in the back at the bottom of the stove.It doesn't really matter where I have the exhaust dampner at closed, fully open or anywhere inbetween.With the air intake set to max I can reach a surfce temp of 400 to 550 at the stove.If I close the air intake and open the ash pan door and the exhaust dampner fully closed I can reach around 720 to 780 degrees surface temp. Which is what i'm gonna need if i'm not gonna freeze this year... I have the stove located in the basement. I need to heat 2 floors.I have vents in the floors for heat to move around.The stove is solid cast iron 1/4" thick.The previous owners of this stove think it was rated at around 130K BTU when using coal so that should more then enough to heat my house.According to another site my basement can support up to 180K BTU stove. So will hurt running the stove this way for max temp?? Also I did check and there is no restrictions in the air intake side of the stove.

NEPA Native

Post by NEPA Native » Tue. Nov. 22, 2005 7:31 am

Do you have a CO detector in the basement? I would be willing to bet that if you keep that ash pan door open and the damper fully closed that your going to see elevated level of CO showing up and thats NOT good. This is the reason that ,from all of the research I have done in the past, there ARE no REAL stoves that burn Coal and Wood BOTH properly. A coal fire requires different draft and air flow to properly burn than a wood fire does. There are currently NO EPA certified stoves that burn both because of this required design difference. If you want to do a short experiment get a GOOD CO detector and put it in the basement then do a test burn during the day when everyone is awake ect...close off those vents in the floor and watch that CO detector (make sure you get one with a digital readout...not just an alarm) just make sure that your not standing there the whole time because if there IS elevated CO then you could passout without much of a warning. Make sure all of the basement doors and windows are shut just as they would be normally...start the burn and check the CO in maybe 30 min or an hour...and do it QUICK...if the CO is elevated close the ash door open the damper and basement door or windows and get OUT of there.

lime4x4

Post by lime4x4 » Tue. Nov. 22, 2005 6:55 pm

Well from what I was reading and was able to find out about this stove it's mainly to be used with coal but can be used to burn wood. Which makes sense cause the air comes in from the bottom under the grate. I would never run the stove more then 20 to 30 minutes with the ash pan door open that was just an experiment.From what i'm also gathering the 400 to 550 surface temp is more then likely max for this stove. Thought it was rated higher but I guess not. currently looking into maybe buying a new Harman series hand fired coal stove with a domestic hot water coil 120K BTU unit or maybe the Harman coal furnace which would make getting heat up to the 2nd floor alot easier..By the way I have 2 co detectors in the basement,1st floor, and 2nd floor along with a crap load of fire and smoke detectors

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”