Which Burns Hotter Pea or Nut Coal?

Modern and vintage hand fired coal stove are similar to a wood stove and in some cases can burn either. They need to be regulated and fed by hand usually every 12 to 24 hours depending on your usage. They require no power to operate making them ideal for rural settings with long power outages.
lime4x4

Post Sun. Nov. 20, 2005 8:21 pm

been playing with my coal stove it's efel handfired model.Been using nut mainly and adding some stove coal for over night burns.Someone said I should use pea cause it burns hotter and longer?

Ray

Post Sun. Nov. 20, 2005 8:59 pm

One pound of anthracite coal, if its rice or the larger size, will give off the same amount of btu. Use the coal the manufacture recommends for the stove you are using.

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post Sun. Nov. 20, 2005 10:26 pm

They both produce the same amount of BTU's, the pea coal will burn slower. The smaller size cuts off the air flow giving you a slower burn rate. You can even use range which is a mixture of pea/nut, I have many customers which go that route.
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."

- Albert Einstein

Visit Hitzer Stoves

lime4x4

Post Sun. Nov. 20, 2005 11:18 pm

Thanks for the info..By the way there is no manual with the stove. The previous owners of the stove used nut coal..

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post Sun. Nov. 20, 2005 11:29 pm

As long as it doesn't fall through the grates you can use any size that works. Generally if it burns nut pea will work fine.
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."

- Albert Einstein

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”