Warm Morning 617a

LBrookm
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 523
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: Baseboard

Post by LBrookm » Sun. Mar. 05, 2017 2:14 pm

Haven't gotten the little W.M. fired up yet but did finally get the metal work (sort of) done - need to p/u some fasteners.

Attachments

IMG_0108.JPG
.JPG | 146.3KB | IMG_0108.JPG
IMG_0120.JPG
.JPG | 120.6KB | IMG_0120.JPG
IMG_0118.JPG
.JPG | 159.4KB | IMG_0118.JPG

LBrookm

Post by LBrookm » Sun. Mar. 12, 2017 9:56 am

Finally got the little WM hooked up yesterday:
IMG_0152.JPG
.JPG | 90.2KB | IMG_0152.JPG
It actually worked! :)

This a.m. after shakedown - interesting how the center acts like a magazine feeding coal down to the burn area:
IMG_0159.JPG
.JPG | 188.8KB | IMG_0159.JPG
Taking off again after shake (I got other pics to rotate but this one is being stubborn :mad: - maybe easier just to rotate camera / phone going forward?):
IMG_0160.JPG
.JPG | 90.8KB | IMG_0160.JPG
Under grate:
IMG_0158.JPG
.JPG | 112.9KB | IMG_0158.JPG

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Sun. Mar. 12, 2017 11:42 am

Really nice work and the results confirm it. Congrats on bringing back a great stove.

I know it's big brothers hold an impressive amount of coal. Have you had a chance measure how much coal that model holds ?

Paul

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Sun. Mar. 12, 2017 8:23 pm

Paul, that's a 60# fire pot with original bricks. from the pics I can't see how it could have lost any more than 5 #'s to the new corners.

fantastic job LB, hopefully you'll have some weather to get some Burn cycle, heat out put etc. reports turned in.

steve

LBrookm

Post by LBrookm » Tue. Mar. 14, 2017 6:30 am

Thanks Paul and Steve,

Gotta give credit where credit is due Paul - the angle grinder thing was your idea and much appreciated. Let me know when to start sending the royalty payments :)

I measured the inside after firebrick install as the replacements seem a little thicker than original and my numbers came closer to 40 pounds than the original 60. Since it's a workweek and no use in heating the garage when not able to enjoy it, I let it go out and plan to just dump coal in and see what it does end up holding. Will pass it on asap.

It only burned part of Saturday and all day Sunday so I left it on a light cruise during the day Sunday. It did ok for the 600 sq. ft. quite drafty garage. The barrel temps measured with IR were warmest about midway up the sides at 500 degrees. The other areas - top, ash door, etc. were 300 ish degrees or cooler. Of course it's just directly piped into a 6" masonry chimney so I'm sure some damping will improve things but had to play and didn't have the materials on hand at the time :) .

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Tue. Mar. 14, 2017 8:54 am

LBrookm wrote:Thanks Paul and Steve,

Gotta give credit where credit is due Paul - the angle grinder thing was your idea and much appreciated. Let me know when to start sending the royalty payments :)

I measured the inside after firebrick install as the replacements seem a little thicker than original and my numbers came closer to 40 pounds than the original 60. Since it's a workweek and no use in heating the garage when not able to enjoy it, I let it go out and plan to just dump coal in and see what it does end up holding. Will pass it on asap.

It only burned part of Saturday and all day Sunday so I left it on a light cruise during the day Sunday. It did ok for the 600 sq. ft. quite drafty garage. The barrel temps measured with IR were warmest about midway up the sides at 500 degrees. The other areas - top, ash door, etc. were 300 ish degrees or cooler. Of course it's just directly piped into a 6" masonry chimney so I'm sure some damping will improve things but had to play and didn't have the materials on hand at the time :) .
Your welcome. Glad it helped. Actually, any royalties :D go to another member. I got the idea for using the grinder to fit firebricks from Wilson when he was helping me with my Glenwood firebrick mold project.

60 pounds would be nice, but so is having a firebox in good condition that it works well, as it was designed to do. 40 pounds is still a good amount of coal for a stove that can extract heat so well. And as I'm sure you've found out by now, having smooth firebricks makes ash removal so much easier. ;)

Paul

LBrookm

Post by LBrookm » Tue. Mar. 14, 2017 10:13 am

Took advantage of a power outage this a.m. to stay home and play a bit.

This is 1 full 40 pound bag of the old Kimmel's nut in the fire box - nice to see my earlier calc.'s were conservative.
IMG_0168.JPG
.JPG | 209KB | IMG_0168.JPG
I've noticed different 40 pound bags of nut coal occupy varying volumes of space as I'm sure you guys have more of a feel for than I do so just sharing the package it came from:
IMG_0170.JPG
.JPG | 200.5KB | IMG_0170.JPG

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Tue. Mar. 14, 2017 10:50 am

i can see 4 heaping ash shovels full ( in my case right about 10 #'s ) fitting in there. so you're not far off and it's not likely to matter.

if you are going to be heating only sometimes you'll find it much easier to run about 6" deep, add if you're still out there or let it burn out if not. that way you can just shake and throw some matchlight on top when you want to start again later.

steve

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Tue. Mar. 14, 2017 11:26 am

Back when we were working on the Glenwood parlor stove magazine project, I was weighing different sizes of coal to see how much a magazine would add to the stoves capacity.

I found that in 8 inch sonotubes, and five and two gallon buckets, the same weight of nut coal takes up less volume than stove coal. By weight it was about a 10% difference.

If your bags have a lot of variation in chunk size, they may all weight the same, but take up difference amounts of space in the firebox.

The Kimmels coal I ran last winter (about 30 bags used) had a lot of size concentration variation from bag to bag.

Paul

larryfoster
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 617-B
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Hot Blast 1557M
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous nut (me and the coal)
Other Heating: Propane Kerosene

Post by larryfoster » Wed. Oct. 04, 2017 10:08 am

Thanks for sharing how to fabricate the bricks for this stove.
I have a thread on this type of thing here:
viewtopic.php?f=68&t=45272&p=636272#p636272

Harbor Freight has these saws pretty cheap.
At least less than the cost of replacement bricks that I have been able to find.

Would someone with minimal skills (me) be able to do this?

coalturkey
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 400
Baseburners & Antiques: Oakland #6 baseheater
Coal Size/Type: blaschek nut

Post by coalturkey » Wed. Oct. 18, 2017 4:10 am

I would make the point that, if you are burning anthracite coal, The need for the corner flues is not there. They were designed for burning bit coal. I have several Warm Mornings that hold 100 lbs and just let the corners plug up. All the air is now under the coal and it work well. I have some brick that I got on ebay for a warm morning and if I had to reline one I would use the un-flued corners throughout and eliminate the flues thereby increasing my coal capacity to maybe 120 lbs. If you want to burn bit though the flues make this about the best stove available. Mike

larryfoster
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 617-B
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Hot Blast 1557M
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous nut (me and the coal)
Other Heating: Propane Kerosene

Post by larryfoster » Wed. Oct. 18, 2017 7:29 am

Thanks, coalturkey.

As some others here know, I am a hard core bit user due to my location in western Pa.
I expect to get into this in the next few days.

LBrookm

Post by LBrookm » Mon. Oct. 30, 2017 7:30 pm

larryfoster wrote:
Wed. Oct. 04, 2017 10:08 am
Thanks for sharing how to fabricate the bricks for this stove.
I have a thread on this type of thing here:
Post by larryfoster - Warm Morning safe install in garage

Harbor Freight has these saws pretty cheap.
At least less than the cost of replacement bricks that I have been able to find.

Would someone with minimal skills (me) be able to do this?
Minimal skills is pretty much all I possess so I cant see why not. :D The most trying skill was the patience to stick with it.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”