Proper Operation of the Flue Dampner??

lime4x4

Post by lime4x4 » Sun. Nov. 20, 2005 11:25 am

I'm getting conflicting info here.I was always told once the coal fire is going to close the flue dampner but now i'm being told the dampner should always remain open. So what is the correct way? By the way i'm using a coal stove that is hand fired no electronics.

sparky

Post by sparky » Sun. Nov. 20, 2005 9:00 pm

I'm not an expert by any means and would not offer advice on chimneys. All I can say is that we have never had a flue dampner of any kind on our 20 year old hand fired Harmon, which I guess would be the same as an open dampner. No stainless steel liner in the chimney either. I control the burn rate with the draft slide. Fortunately for us everything works as good as can be expected. Under normal conditions I only have to add coal every 10 to 12 hours. I shake the grates whenever I remember to during that time. Hope that helps a little.

blue83camaro

Post by blue83camaro » Wed. Nov. 30, 2005 7:34 pm

I use a barometric damper on my stove. It keeps a consistant draft and is really nice on a windy day. I set the draft just strong enough so I don't get any smoke spill when refueling. I don't have any other form of damper on the chimney.

vomtono

Post by vomtono » Wed. Dec. 07, 2005 3:29 pm

I also have a barametric damper on my Alaskan Stoker Stove, and I have always had mine set at around 3.5 or 4, but after reading a little info here from other users I tried setting mine open all the way and haven't really noticed much of a difference orther than the flue stays a bit cooler. Maybe I am getting more heat from the stove but that remains to be determined yet. I did happen to notice alittle different smell in the house last night but this morning things were back to normal. 8)

blue83camaro

Post by blue83camaro » Fri. Dec. 09, 2005 12:42 pm

vomtono wrote:I also have a barametric damper on my Alaskan Stoker Stove, and I have always had mine set at around 3.5 or 4, but after reading a little info here from other users I tried setting mine open all the way and haven't really noticed much of a difference orther than the flue stays a bit cooler. Maybe I am getting more heat from the stove but that remains to be determined yet. I did happen to notice alittle different smell in the house last night but this morning things were back to normal. 8)
I would be carful if you are smelling smoke, waking up dead isn't any fun :shock: . If I set the weight so mine is open all of the way I will get smoke leaking out of the joints on the stove pipe.If you have a chimney that does not draft real hard you might not notice that much difference. Mine is 35 feet tall, in the middle of the house with an insulated 6" ss liner. It drafts so good cold you can put a piece of cardboard over the flue hole and it will stick to it! I can say I noticed a definite increase in heat output when I set the damper. It also burned less coal ( about 5lbs less in 24hrs). As of now I am averaging 70lbs a day. The most I have used was when it got down to 2 F and I used 90 lbs for the day.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”