Coal Stove Newbie Restoring an Aarrow Stratford

Jimbo slice
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Aarrow Stratford SC-75
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut

Post by Jimbo slice » Thu. Jul. 30, 2015 11:26 pm

Hello all, I recently purchased a used Aarow Stratford sc-75 from a guy on Craigslist. The former owner used the stove and pretty much kept up with the maintenance but sold it to me in fair condition. Before moving the stove into place in my fireplace, I plan on restoring the stove. My list includes: replacing a few cracked fire bricks, replacing the door gaskets, painting the exterior, and potentially moving from the exhaust from the rear of the stove to the top of the stove. I'm fairly comfortable with these tasks but I noticed that the stove's front fuel retainer (banking plate?) has a few cracks from thermal cycling.

Is there anyway to repair the plate?

I found a replacement online for $75 but it's located in the UK and shipping is unreal, upwards of $300!!!!

Any other ideas? Not sure if this helps, but I'm located in SE PA.

Thanks for your help,
Jim
Last edited by Jimbo slice on Fri. Jul. 31, 2015 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Fri. Jul. 31, 2015 1:32 am

Welcome to the board my friend. Members greenshield, fishhead631 and xandrew245x have Stratfords and have posted here. Member franco b seems to be knowledgeable about these but I don't think he owns one. Why don't you PM them and see if they can help as often stove restorations are abandoned and can be a useful source of parts. Can you upload a photo(s) of the offending part, this may help others here generate ideas for you. This thread may be useful:

Aarrow Stratford SC55 Refurbish Project (Help , Info Needed)

Note this (upside down)
Do they still have an office in Boyertown PA? Somehow I doubt it.

Completing your profile may be useful as we then know where you are. Who knows, you may live near a member with stove skills that is prepared to help. Be patient in waiting for responses as we are a little slow this time of the year. Good luck.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Fri. Jul. 31, 2015 3:01 am

Welcome JS :) Ditto what CN said.

Jimbo slice

Post by Jimbo slice » Fri. Jul. 31, 2015 3:01 pm

Thank you for the suggestions. I will contact those members soon. I've done a bunch of online research and then stumbled on this site. You guys are very welcoming and informative.

I will try to take some pictures and upload them but I usually struggle with publishing pictures to online forums. In lieu of pictures, here is a link for the part I need.

http://www.aradastovesandspares.com/product_detai ... INER%20BAR

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Fri. Jul. 31, 2015 4:08 pm

Welcome, Jimbo.

If that front plate is steel, any good welder can fix it. If it's cast iron, that's trickier and not all welders know the tricks. Make sure to find a welder who has experience in welding (not brazing) cast iron.

Paul

coalnewbie

Post by coalnewbie » Fri. Jul. 31, 2015 4:57 pm

This may be an issue with these stoves. One member wilsons woodstoves is an expert welder and is located in Rochester MA. Mailing it there will be a lot cheaper. He may agree (or not agree) to help you but he is a scholar and a gentlemen and you never know. One final thought, there are some stoves that have little weaknesses like this and stove owner members band together and get a piece recast and make many copies and then they split the cost. Tomahawk Foundry in Rice, WI is a good start. First see what other owners have got to say. Good luck and please get your camera fixed, we need pitchers (a board joke) of before, during and after. Coal crazies are BORED this time of the year and need entertainment and so we are happy to give you instructions of how to upload stuff (psst, it's real easy).

scroll down and click Upload attachment
scroll down and click choose file
your computer files will appear
choose picture and click on open
click on Add the file.......done!

So let's have a look at this sucker.

Jimbo slice

Post by Jimbo slice » Sat. Aug. 01, 2015 8:27 am

Coal newbie - I contacted the stove distributor in boyertown and the no longer carry arrow parts. I will post a few pictures next week to give everyone an idea of what I'm working with.

Jimbo slice

Post by Jimbo slice » Sat. Aug. 01, 2015 8:29 am

Also, I'm fairly confident that the plate is cast iron. I looked up information on welding cast iron and quickly came to the conclusion that it's one challenging form of welding :(

coalnewbie

Post by coalnewbie » Sat. Aug. 01, 2015 10:23 am

that it's one challenging form of welding :(
Be of good cheer, however bad it is I am sure the members here have dealt with worse.

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Sun. Aug. 02, 2015 11:20 am

Send it to Wilson. He can weld spoons together with a dime and a match. (Wait a minute...that was Clint Eastwood in "Escape from Alcatraz"). But Wilson is even better. :up:

Jimbo slice

Post by Jimbo slice » Tue. Aug. 04, 2015 9:11 pm

Alright, let's see if the attachments work. First picture is the stove in front of the fireplace that I am going to set it in. Second picture shows the lower fuel retainer in place in the stove.

Does anyone have a link to Wilson's shop?

Also, I have a wood stove shop near me that I have yet to visit, but is there a preferred online vendor that I can use as a price reference?

Thanks again,
Jim

Attachments

Wood Coal Stove.jpg
.JPG | 61.5KB | Wood Coal Stove.jpg
Cracked Fuel Retainer.jpg
.JPG | 45.8KB | Cracked Fuel Retainer.jpg

Jimbo slice

Post by Jimbo slice » Thu. Aug. 06, 2015 8:00 pm

Ok, I have sent a PM to Wilson and am awaiting his response. I asked a question earlier in this thread that I think many over looked.

Is there a superior inline resource for stove parts? I'm specifically in need of paint, fire bricks, and gaskets.

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Thu. Aug. 06, 2015 9:13 pm

Jimbo slice wrote:Ok, I have sent a PM to Wilson and am awaiting his response. I asked a question earlier in this thread that I think many over looked.

Is there a superior inline resource for stove parts? I'm specifically in need of paint, fire bricks, and gaskets.
Most good hardware stores should have the paint & gaskets,some might have the bricks,a stove shop will likely have the brick.

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Fri. Aug. 07, 2015 12:02 am

Jimbo slice wrote:Ok, I have sent a PM to Wilson and am awaiting his response. I asked a question earlier in this thread that I think many over looked.

I'm at the exact same point, and would also like some opinions on vendors supplying these products. In the case of antique stoves, I would think the shape of the bricks are critical to proper fitment, and can't see my local hardware store carrying bricks for these older stoves. What are our options? (I hope we're not derailing this thread.)

smoknyoz
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Stratford SC 75
Coal Size/Type: Nut

Post by smoknyoz » Thu. Feb. 25, 2021 12:19 pm

Hi. New to the forum. Have a Stratford SC75 Coal Stove and am trying to locate a place in the USA that sells a replacement baffle/throat plate. The part number is AFS938. Found a place in the UK that actually has the part, but will not ship to the US because of COVID. Checked Ebay and called around to some distributors I found online, but no luck. Any ideas as to where I might be able to pick one up?

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”