Any Thermopride Wood/Coal Stove Owners Out There?

livefreeordie

Post by livefreeordie » Mon. Mar. 10, 2008 10:01 am

Hi all,
New here & just posted in the introduce yourself thread.
I have a ThermoPride WC-27 wood/coal furnace in combination with an oil burner in the basement. I'm in Southern NH & wondering if there's any other ThermoPride owners out there.
Thanks, Colm.

jumperjoe

Post by jumperjoe » Sat. Mar. 22, 2008 9:45 am

livefreeordie wrote:Hi all,
New here & just posted in the introduce yourself thread.
I have a ThermoPride WC-27 wood/coal furnace in combination with an oil burner in the basement. I'm in Southern NH & wondering if there's any other ThermoPride owners out there.
Thanks, Colm.
Welcome.
In answering your question, I saw this set-up in Hillsdale Michigan in a basement. The rich guy just bought the house and had it redone. he wanted to give me the Thermopride coal furnace, but during the work on the house he had the outside basement entrance built in. No way to get the stove out, DUHHH!!!
I did not see it operating, but it looked very well built and solid. I would have taken it in an instant, if I could have. I think you have a very good piece of equipment.

kfriend

Post by kfriend » Thu. Feb. 18, 2010 1:52 pm

I believe I have the same model number Thermopride furnace. I've been burning anthracite in it and it has been quite the experience learning how to burn coal but I think I'm getting the hang of it.

redcoals

Post by redcoals » Thu. Feb. 18, 2010 7:58 pm

LFD....I have a neighbor that built a log home about 1988? and hs a thermopride large furnace, burns only oak and loves it, I am not sure about which model it is...He lives in Caro mi. the thumb area...have a great day. Redcoals :)

Wop

Post by Wop » Sat. Feb. 26, 2011 2:43 pm

Hi Colm,
I don't know if u still check this forum but I also live in NH (Merrimack Valley) and own a Thermopride WC-20. If you still check the forums reply back.

Op4_camper

Post by Op4_camper » Mon. Feb. 28, 2011 7:16 pm

Ahhh grave digging

MarkR54

Post by MarkR54 » Sun. Jan. 27, 2013 8:25 pm

Hi, Colin -

I have a Thermo Pride WC-27 that I have had for 15 to 20 years, used more some years than others. I've replaced the fire brick once and I was trying to find a site to order a new set of firebrick. Any suggestions ?? I will keep looking on line, but I can't seem to find the correct site, even through Thermo Pride.

I live in central New Hampshire. Our furnace is also in parallel with a separate oil furnace of a different make.

What is your question ??

Mark R.

Rushmore

Post by Rushmore » Thu. Jan. 12, 2017 10:51 am

I have a WC27, vintage 1978, that performs well. Any idea about how to find parts?

I can replace the fire brick with generic material, but the steel fabrications that hold the brick in place have deteriorated.

ptrivilino
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Thermo Pride WC-20

Post by ptrivilino » Mon. Nov. 19, 2018 6:52 am

I have a WC-20 that was in the house when I purchased it about 7 years ago (in parallel with a Termo Pride Oil furnace). Been burning wood most of this time. Tough finding parts - for sure. I came across a dealer about 150 miles from home that had some stuff (heat exchanger and fire brick replacement kit). I bought it all from him.
I am looking for a set of grates. Mine are getting burned out in the center area.
You can use light angle iron on the bottom, weld up a "frame" that will slide in from the front of the ash pit, it will hold the base of the brick. Use a 4" grinder to do the brick cutting - the top "clips" if needed, can easily be made.

Good luck and let us know if you come across parts - the only source(s) would be older long-time Thermo Pride dealers.

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Mon. Nov. 19, 2018 9:29 am

Do any of you know if Thermo Pride makes a wood burning or coal burning down draft furnace like my Thermo Pride oil burner?

Yes, mine blows down through the floor into the duct work in the crawl space.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Mon. Nov. 19, 2018 10:45 am

Hoytman wrote:
Mon. Nov. 19, 2018 9:29 am
Do any of you know if Thermo Pride makes a wood burning or coal burning down draft furnace like my Thermo Pride oil burner?

Yes, mine blows down through the floor into the duct work in the crawl space.

Solid fuel units of any mfg'r do not do down flow for safety issues, such as fan failure or power loss.

Solid fuel furnaces require over sized duct work for some degree of heat removal by "hot air rising".
Down flow units are unable to push hot air downward and would be a great fire hazard given above failures.
Last edited by McGiever on Mon. Nov. 19, 2018 2:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

lzaharis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4-1 dual fuel boiler
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: former switzer CWW100-sold
Coal Size/Type: rice
Other Heating: kerosene for dual fuel Keystoker/unused

Post by lzaharis » Mon. Nov. 19, 2018 11:29 am

You can purchase firebrick in many sizes and thicknesses from several distributors and if you have the steel work you can always have it copied by a steel fabrication shop.

Marks supply in Shenadoah PA would be a good place to start looking for coal grates for your furnaces and if they do not have it there are many foundries that make coal grate castings.

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Wed. Nov. 21, 2018 10:51 am

McGiever wrote:
Mon. Nov. 19, 2018 10:45 am
Solid fuel units of any mfg'r do not do down flow for safety issues, such as fan failure or power loss.

Solid fuel furnaces require over sized duct work for some degree of heat removal by "hot air rising".
Down flow units are unable to push hot air downward and would be a great fire hazard given above failures.
Thanks. Shows you how much I know. LOL!!

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Wed. Nov. 21, 2018 11:07 am

But hey, with a boiler and a small circulator, heat can be pumped in whatever direction pipes could be ran.

A power failure there can be relieved by vessel being vented automatically by a PRV (pressure relief valve) if reaching that level of need to dump excess heat production.
However, hot air just cannot work that way to 'loose' or dump excess heat produced at times of excess, such as that of a electrical utility power loss.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”