New Vigilant II 2310 Stove

BobQ

Post by BobQ » Sun. Mar. 09, 2008 2:45 pm

I am new here, this is my first post, I am looking to move away from wood burning and into coal, I am looking to purchase a new VC Vigillant stove, it is the only one my wife likes the looks of, It will be the first thing you see when you walk in the house. I see lots of postes about the older versions but not the newer one. Can I expect it to perform as good as any other had fired unit? any help would be appeciated!

Thanks Bob

Devil505

Post by Devil505 » Sun. Mar. 09, 2008 2:52 pm

Don't just take my word as I don't know where I heard it but, that being said......I have heard that Vermont Castings was bought out & their products drasticaly cheapened, so I would do some further research. I looked at the Vigilant coal burner too & like it's looks, but where it's cast from a number of pieces, I didn't think it would stay airtight. I ended up with a Harman TLC-2000 & have had no problems. All steel & welded airtight.

bksaun
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Legacy SF-270
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 503
Coal Size/Type: Stoker/Bit, Pea or Nut Anthracite

Post by bksaun » Sun. Mar. 09, 2008 3:31 pm

Bob said [quote]Can I expect it to perform as good as any other had fired unit? (quote]

No! It is a different animal compared to welded steel stoves.

BK

coal-cooker

Post by coal-cooker » Sun. Mar. 09, 2008 3:51 pm

I have never used one, but everything I have read here says they don't burn as well as others. Has your wife looked at the new Harmans? Some of them are quite nice and look great in the living area.

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Sun. Mar. 09, 2008 8:22 pm

Lipstick on a pig. The Vigilant started as a Wood burner and still has some of that "DNA" in the Coal version. I do not feel the grate system of the 2310 handles clinkers/shale/bridging well. I have a "Multi-Fuel" version, same design only lacking the lowered ash pan, works as a wood burner but a poor coal burner. The Mark II is not as pretty but does burn coal well. I would rather have an appliance work properly and with little aggravation than be pretty and have issues any day/night! The Vigilant is getting cleaned up and sold, the Mark II is keeping my house warm at 72* with little work.

BobQ

Post by BobQ » Sun. Mar. 09, 2008 9:25 pm

Thanks for the help, I will look at the TLC and get a price! I also liked the Hitzer 30-95, I am trying to convince the wife on it, any more sugestions?

Thanks again Bob

Adamiscold

Post by Adamiscold » Mon. Mar. 10, 2008 8:09 am

BobQ wrote:Thanks for the help, I will look at the TLC and get a price! I also liked the Hitzer 30-95, I am trying to convince the wife on it, any more sugestions?

Thanks again Bob
A local shop told me that the TLC was selling for $1549.00 with the black door. Somebody on here just bought a 30-95 and the price was about $1375.00 for it. Both of which would be ball park estimates.

Devil505

Post by Devil505 » Mon. Mar. 10, 2008 8:14 am

BobQ wrote:Thanks for the help, I will look at the TLC and get a price! I also liked the Hitzer 30-95, I am trying to convince the wife on it, any more sugestions?

Thanks again Bob
I have an idea to help you convince the wife ........Tell her that if you buy a lousy stove that just looks nice, that she will be the one to have to operate it.........You'll do the dishes!

grizzly2
Other Heating: Oil foilfurnace, Jotul#3 woodstove,electric base board.

Post by grizzly2 » Tue. Mar. 11, 2008 9:29 pm

Thanks again Bob
Those are the two stoves I had narrowed down my search and research down to, largely due to advice and information I received on this great forum. I purchased the Hitzer because of their great factory customer support. Harman requires that you deal with your dealer exclusively. Locally, our Harman dealer did not stock any coal stoves or want to order a coal stove for me.

Before buying my Hitzer 30-95, I emailed Hitzer with a couple of questions and received a very helpful response the next day. After buying and using the Hitzer, I emailed them to complement them on the terrific stove they make and how nice to deal with their dealer was. I received an email the next day thanking me for my comments and humbly stating that "we try to make a good stove".

I did pay $1375. for the Hitzer which had the $75. opional blower with it. So I guess the base stove would be $1300. from M & M Stove and Coal near Fulton NY.

I could not be any happier with burning coal, with my Hitzer or with M & M Stove and Coal :D

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”