D.S. Machine Circulator News (Rumor) for the Day

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Sat. Apr. 18, 2015 8:32 am

lsayre wrote:My wife really likes the ComfortMax stove. It sounds like she wants us to bag one. I'm more for the hopper idea, but a happy wife comes first!
If SHE tends the stove, without a hopper, she will get grumpy and no longer be a happy wife. :(
If YOU tend the stove, without a hopper, you will get grumpy and resent her pushing you into it, and she will no longer be a happy wife. :mad:
Therefore .... :roll:

Rex

Post by Rex » Sat. Apr. 18, 2015 12:28 pm

coalfan wrote:was told its more for the wood and the reburn system and to my understanding all the new revamped stoves will have the hopper also .
I have also understood these reburn systems are more for wood. I like to see a unit with both a hopper and the reburn bars on the top. Doesn’t seem possible with the design? Where would the hopper go if the reburn bars are in the way. Cant wait to see how its done.

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Sat. Apr. 18, 2015 1:51 pm

Rex wrote:
coalfan wrote:was told its more for the wood and the reburn system and to my understanding all the new revamped stoves will have the hopper also .
I have also understood these reburn systems are more for wood. I like to see a unit with both a hopper and the reburn bars on the top. Doesn’t seem possible with the design? Where would the hopper go if the reburn bars are in the way. Cant wait to see how its done.
there "might" be some blending of speculation and confusion about what is coming.

it sounds to me that the circulator design is going away and there is going to be a different set of progressively sized stoves to take their place.

i'm not convinced it's going to be a further evolution of the energy max design. those seem to me to be the ringers purposely put in front of the EPA, insurance crowd to make them happy and keep their noses out of the coal only units, where by the way they have little to no legal place.

given the constraints of the current energy max design I see no way to include a hopper.

the new basement units will no doubt be sizes of the current Coalmaster 2100 WH. this is a stove that is a poor copy of the previous and excellent original New Style Champion series.

there are new thing s coming from DSM but, i'm not sure they are going to be good. unfortunately, I believe they are responding to a small but loud, marginally informed and inexperienced segment of the market that has been influenced by the legal and "protective" lobbies who are very opposed to the solid fuel solution to start with.

my .02 worth,
steve

rberq

Post by rberq » Mon. Apr. 20, 2015 9:48 pm

Those are intriguing side panels on the ComfortMax. It should be easy to fabricate and retrofit similar panels for the older circulators -- 1300/1400/1500/1600. It seems like solid panels replacing the grills would result in much stronger convection currents along the sides, due to chimney effect, therefore more heat transfer. Or am I missing something? :?:

coalfan
Hand Fed Coal Stove: ds circultor1500 \chubby coal stove
Coal Size/Type: nut/ pea ant.some bit.
Other Heating: kerosene\cold nat. gas

Post by coalfan » Mon. Apr. 20, 2015 10:34 pm

that rberq is a very good thought hmmmm something to ponder for sure !and any one have any input /thoughts on the warming shelves for the circulators are they really usefull or more for looks or both and how do thet attach ? my fault for not asking dealer but lot of talk and bsn goin on at that moment !!

coalfan

Post by coalfan » Tue. May. 19, 2015 12:57 pm

anyone have any pics.of the ds 1500 with short lid and any thoughts or concerns of that model am looking at he short lid to give me more surface area for kettle etc. any help is appreciated thanx in advance !

oliver power
Stoker Coal Boiler: KEYSTOKER Kaa-2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-2310), D.S. 1600 Circulator, Hitzer 254

Post by oliver power » Wed. May. 20, 2015 6:25 am

coalfan wrote:anyone have any pics.of the ds 1500 with short lid and any thoughts or concerns of that model am looking at he short lid to give me more surface area for kettle etc. any help is appreciated thanx in advance !
The short decorative hopper lid is the same lid as the 1300/1400. The longer decorative hopper lid of the 1500/1600 doesn't have room to open when using the warming shelf. The actual hopper lids are all the same. The warming shelf is well built, and looks nice. I got the warming shelf for both looks, as well as function. Sorry, no pictures yet. Stove is paid for, but not yet home. The area you talked of putting a tea kettle; I thought I'd put one of those heat activated fans, should the stove not circulate as claimed. The warming shelf bolts on.

coalfan

Post by coalfan » Thu. May. 21, 2015 2:43 pm

to anyone interested I just spoke with DS about the warming shelf for the 1500 wh and they told me that the standard decorative lid will not open completely and that they recomend the short lid if you are going to have the warming shelf with that particular setup so on my end the shortlid it is hope this helps !

LoschStoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Kast Console III
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS 1500
Baseburners & Antiques: Monarch Paramount Range– Style 24PY-2 Burner
Other Heating: Yukon Polar-Eagle II Multi Furnace

Post by LoschStoker » Sun. May. 24, 2015 5:05 pm

Major changes are coming from the EPA.
Companies are going to have to get ready for 2016 and beyond.
This pertains to wood.

http://www2.epa.gov/residential-wood-heaters/fina ... od-heaters

coalfan

Post by coalfan » Thu. Feb. 23, 2017 8:14 pm

not sure if this is the correct place to post this ,but for anyone interested I just seen on messick stove site that in big bold red letters, that the DS circculator models ARE NOT being disscontinued 11THEY ARE KEEPING AS A REGULOR PRODUCT .

rberq

Post by rberq » Thu. Feb. 23, 2017 8:27 pm

coalfan wrote:not sure if this is the correct place to post this ,but for anyone interested I just seen on messick stove site that in big bold red letters, that the DS circculator models ARE NOT being disscontinued 11THEY ARE KEEPING AS A REGULOR PRODUCT .
Good news, thanks for posting. Otherwise I'd worry about parts availability.

coalfan

Post by coalfan » Thu. Feb. 23, 2017 8:32 pm

to my understanding rb. even if they were to stop production of the circ. series they were going to be able to provide most parts if needed,grates,doors hopper lids etc . and for example my 1500 has the anthramax ash door ,no spinner knobs and the cast hopper lid is also from the anthramax line so no sweat there for your piece of mind . :)

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”