Need Advice Hitzer 5093 Repairs

Erik Carstens
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 2 Hitzer 5093
Baseburners & Antiques: Detroit Stove Works / Jewel Live Oak no. 14
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite nut
Other Heating: 2 Whitfield Pellet Stoves , V.C. Resolute, Timberline, Quaker with deer head in front. Dutchwest and Sierra

Post by Erik Carstens » Mon. Feb. 09, 2015 10:52 pm

Hello!
As I stated in my introductory post, I picked up a second Hitzer 5093 last Friday. I think it is one of the first generation model 5093's because it does not have a removable hopper boot.

Instead, it has a 4.5" steel plate welded directly to the hopper. My other one has the removable boot with a bolt on each of the 4 sides. The front of the hopper that faces the glass is pretty warped in the center which bubbles out toward the door like a piece of bologna in a fry pan. Also, the hopper is melted somewhat at the bottom and appears to be a little corroded.
HPIM4564.JPG
.JPG | 125.5KB | HPIM4564.JPG
HPIM4562.JPG
.JPG | 167.1KB | HPIM4562.JPG
HPIM4563.JPG
.JPG | 141.3KB | HPIM4563.JPG
HPIM4565.JPG
.JPG | 451.2KB | HPIM4565.JPG
HPIM4566.JPG
.JPG | 137.2KB | HPIM4566.JPG
The hopper lid has no hinge unlike my other one and the gasket was missing.
HPIM4557.JPG
.JPG | 151KB | HPIM4557.JPG
I suspect, it may have been run like this because there is evidence of black exhaust marks around the lid. Someone must have over fired it ( left the A.P door open?) to cause the extreme warping. The bottom door frame in front of the stove is bowed out about 1/8" in the middle which kept the door from latching.
HPIM4559.JPG
.JPG | 102.5KB | HPIM4559.JPG
The good news is that the grates look hardly used with no warps (sagging) .
HPIM4572.JPG
.JPG | 137.9KB | HPIM4572.JPG
The rear grate has a small groove worn in it from the shaking motion where it rests on the tray (on left )
HPIM4573.JPG
.JPG | 104.2KB | HPIM4573.JPG
The grate tray is a little warped but I think will work fine for a while. I talked to Lonnie and Dean Lehman at Hitzer today and they could not remember the ones with the welded plates around the bottom of the hopper. They both ask if I could see any bolt holes where it might have been bolted but there are none. The welds look very straight and "factory"
HPIM4568.JPG
.JPG | 135.8KB | HPIM4568.JPG
I also told them about the hinge-less hopper lid and they commented that it must have been one of the first models in 93. As far as the front lower door frame being bowed out, they both thought it would be ok to grind it down in the middle to straighten it so the door closes evenly. I was thinking of heating it up and pressing it back in. But as I often do , I chose the easier method of grinding it some. After grinding about an 1/8", I can get the door to latch (with new 3/4" rope gasket) but it is still a little harder than It should be. I guess a little more grinding and call it good. This must be one reason they now have a couple of 13" fire bricks you can buy for the front. You would think with this much over firing, the sides would also be warped but they are not. Dean Lehman said I could use the hopper like it was but I would like to cut off the bottom 4.5" all the way around and fabricate a new hopper boot. In cutting it that high up about where the original weld is, I would cut through the hopper metal also to get back to some straight metal. I guess I would use some 3/8" or so plate and make a new boot that would overlap the hopper metal about an inch or so and bolt it . Lastly, when I went to clean the glass because it was so dirty I could not see through it, I removed it and realized it was a piece of stainless metal. :o In the craigslist ad, I saw what I thought was a diagonal crack in it. I asked the guy on the phone and he said it was a scratch. Even when I went to pick it up, it just looked like a dirty piece of glass. :mad: Next time I will bring my glasses!
HPIM4570.JPG
.JPG | 156.7KB | HPIM4570.JPG
Please let me know what you think, any advice is appreciated! Thanks Erik
Last edited by Erik Carstens on Tue. Feb. 10, 2015 10:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

oliver power
Stoker Coal Boiler: KEYSTOKER Kaa-2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-2310), D.S. 1600 Circulator, Hitzer 254

Post by oliver power » Tue. Feb. 10, 2015 5:06 am

What Do I Think........Not Much. I would have never bought it in the first place. However, seeing you now have it, it would make for a fun project. Cut the hopper completely out, and forget about it. Add a baffle ahead of exhaust, and take advantage of the top feed for coal. Add adjustable over fire air high on the right side, with down draft air channel inside the stove for burning wood. It'd make a nice stove for shop, camp, or even in the house. A one of a kind.......... The more I think about it, If the price was right, maybe I would have bought it. Oliiver

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Tue. Feb. 10, 2015 6:56 am

Sounds like quite the project....but it also sounds like you have the skill set to fix it up too!!

I'd hold off on grinding down the door frame any more until you see how the door fits after the gasket has had time to compress some.

There is a source for glass online that guys have used, I have to run out so I can't go through the search results this morning but i'll check for it later if somebody else hasn't already posted it.

Have fun with it, you will have added satisfaction when burning it since you brought it back to life.

blrman07

Post by blrman07 » Tue. Feb. 10, 2015 7:06 am

titleist1 wrote:
Have fun with it, you will have added satisfaction when burning it since you brought it back to life.
I love stories of older stoves being saved and put back into use again!!!

Good luck and happy burning.

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Tue. Feb. 10, 2015 7:07 am

Erik C , welcome to the forum. Looks like you got one that was abused/overfired . Depending what you want from this stove,would likely steer your plans as too which way too repair it. Fix the hopper & have a similar operating stove to the other one you are using or do as Oliver posted & have a hopper less unit with the necessary mods to also burn wood in it.This could then be your stove of choice to use in early & late heating season when an evening or early morning wood fire is enough to chase out the chill.Hopefully this was a very low cost stove you purchased.Good luck with this project.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Feb. 10, 2015 7:25 am

EC, damn, wow, wtf-- :eek2: ya got all the MUST HAVE stuff there! She'll make a nice project & I agree with your projected ideas. My stove is a 1995 version--on my boot--the bolts are on either end--have fun my friend:) You can purchase that hopper extension from HITZER--I did & it's approx. 4.5 inches--keep us updated w/ pix. Don't be afraid to take a sledge to her where needed--they're built like tanks!!

waldo lemieux

Post by waldo lemieux » Tue. Feb. 10, 2015 7:31 am

Did that thing come out of Chernobyl ? my hats off to ya. I hope your under 60 otherwise you don't have enough time left :P

Scottaw

Post by Scottaw » Tue. Feb. 10, 2015 7:39 am

I thought I had over fired a few times, they must have run that stove HARD to do that kind of damage. Good luck.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Tue. Feb. 10, 2015 8:50 am

On the bright side, some people here think the older stoves of this model are more efficient than the newer ones. Or so Ive read.

myself, I'd fix it with the hopper and use it. Most the parts are available and are reasonably priced. It will be a great heating stove when your done. And last but not least, you already have it so might as well fix it. I'd replace the glass last, just making sure you have a working stove first before that final investment.

Erik Carstens
Other Heating: 2 Whitfield Pellet Stoves , V.C. Resolute, Timberline, Quaker with deer head in front. Dutchwest and Sierra

Post by Erik Carstens » Tue. Feb. 10, 2015 6:18 pm

Thanks everyone for your advice and comments. I have a lot to consider. I like the idea of being able to burn wood w/o the hopper and additional air control, but I really like the convenience of the hopper. I would like a removable hopper like the latest ones. I think Hitzer said they have about 4" of hopper flange welded to the top of the stove and the hopper then attaches to that. The bottom of my hopper is nasty looking but the top 6 or 7 inches is good and straight all the way around. I need to find out if the replacement hopper will slip over mine and where to cut mine off and what other mods would I need to make. Hitzer said the new hoppers may be slightly wider than mine. Wider to fill the box a little more evenly. Their prices I think are reasonable and it may save some time unless the dimensions are way off. I will call them tomorrow to see if I can get dimensions. Also, doesn't the hopper act like a baffle sort of and force the exhaust around towards the sides for more heat or not ? Thanks again, Erik
I almost forgot...I paid 350.00 for it

oliver power
Stoker Coal Boiler: KEYSTOKER Kaa-2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-2310), D.S. 1600 Circulator, Hitzer 254

Post by oliver power » Tue. Feb. 10, 2015 6:23 pm

Erik Carstens wrote:Thanks everyone for your advice and comments. I have a lot to consider. I like the idea of being able to burn wood w/o the hopper and additional air control, but I really like the convenience of the hopper. I would like a removable hopper like the latest ones. I think Hitzer said they have about 4" of hopper flange welded to the top of the stove and the hopper then attaches to that. The bottom of my hopper is nasty looking but the top 6 or 7 inches is good and straight all the way around. I need to find out if the replacement hopper will slip over mine and where to cut mine off and what other mods would I need to make. Hitzer said the new hoppers may be slightly wider than mine. Wider to fill the box a little more evenly. Their prices I think are reasonable and it may save some time unless the dimensions are way off. I will call them tomorrow to see if I can get dimensions. Also, doesn't the hopper act like a baffle sort of and force the exhaust around towards the sides for more heat or not ? Thanks again, Erik
Yes, the hopper does sort of act as a baffle. The gasses have to go around the hopper, before exiting the stove.

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Tue. Feb. 10, 2015 8:59 pm

Erik Carstens wrote:Thanks everyone for your advice and comments. I have a lot to consider. I like the idea of being able to burn wood w/o the hopper and additional air control, but I really like the convenience of the hopper. I would like a removable hopper like the latest ones. I think Hitzer said they have about 4" of hopper flange welded to the top of the stove and the hopper then attaches to that. The bottom of my hopper is nasty looking but the top 6 or 7 inches is good and straight all the way around. I need to find out if the replacement hopper will slip over mine and where to cut mine off and what other mods would I need to make. Hitzer said the new hoppers may be slightly wider than mine. Wider to fill the box a little more evenly. Their prices I think are reasonable and it may save some time unless the dimensions are way off. I will call them tomorrow to see if I can get dimensions. Also, doesn't the hopper act like a baffle sort of and force the exhaust around towards the sides for more heat or not ? Thanks again, Erik
Can you weld? ie tools to do so?

I would think that one could cut out the hopper and put in the rails needed for a removable one.

Erik Carstens

Post by Erik Carstens » Tue. Feb. 10, 2015 10:21 pm

I have the equipment but I would like to see photos or drawing of the bracket and hopper set up on one to determine how much and where to cut mine or if that hopper will even work on mine. Hopefully I can get info from Hitzer. They are very helpful . I talked with them for 40 minutes the other day. I don't know, they may not even pick up the phone. lol. I guess I could McGoober up my own design but I would like to have more info on how they do theirs. Photos and dimensions would be a big help. Once I see the removable type hopper, I should be able to make the brackets etc. to make it work. Thanks for the advice.

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Tue. Feb. 10, 2015 11:44 pm

Erik Carstens wrote:I have the equipment but I would like to see photos or drawing of the bracket and hopper set up on one to determine how much and where to cut mine or if that hopper will even work on mine. Hopefully I can get info from Hitzer. They are very helpful . I talked with them for 40 minutes the other day. I don't know, they may not even pick up the phone. lol. I guess I could McGoober up my own design but I would like to have more info on how they do theirs. Photos and dimensions would be a big help. Once I see the removable type hopper, I should be able to make the brackets etc. to make it work. Thanks for the advice.
I'll see if I can post pics of my 503's removable hopper tomorrow .... in the morning when it is cooler than it is now (running on top about 400F) .. opening it would be a blast furnace.

Erik Carstens

Post by Erik Carstens » Wed. Feb. 11, 2015 7:03 am

Thanks David. Don't drop your phone (camera) in there on my account. Be careful .

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”